GRADUATE RESEARCH: WLS Surgery

Kelli ~.
on 11/29/05 3:33 am - Atwater, CA
My name is Kelli Flores. I am a pre-op for lapband surgery, and I am also a graduate student at CSU Stanislaus in California. I am interested in doing my thesis on WLS and it's affect on self-esteem, self-efficacy and self-worth both in Pre-Op and Post-Op patients. This study has yet to be approved, I am just looking to see if there is a general interest from this forum. I'd like to hear from those that have had RNY and Lapband would think this would be a worthy endeavor. I would like to have participants from United States (though you could have the surgery in Mexico) preferbly since if I included other countries it would be a challenging task to mail out questionnaires. Those whom are doing the surgery in the US and Mx is okay, since I will be having surgery done in Mexico. I will have more on the study as I formulate it together and after it passes through our university board for research. I'm guessing I could have questionnaires ready by mid-spring/summer time. Right now, I'd just like some feedback from everyone here on the forum. Please feel free to make some suggestions as it's better to have many minds than just one Thanks! Kelli Flores pre-op lapband Jan 27, 2006 Dr. Aceves
Cheri Moran
on 11/29/05 11:14 am - Big Spring, TX
I think that would be an excellent thesis. I think the results would be very interesting. I'm amazed at the difference in my level of self esteem. I'm not sure I realized how low mine had gotten. Another interesting idea is the difference in the way people act toward someone that is a normal size versus someone that is obese. The last time we were going through an airport, I noticed people would smile and acknowledge me now that I'm a size 8 where when I was a 3X that acted like I was invisible. I wish you luck on your endeavor. I hope this is approved as I think the information would be valuable. Cheri
bonnied
on 11/29/05 6:53 pm - St. Albans, VT
What a wonderful idea Kelli! I am only 5 1/2 months out from RNY and have had a huge change in my self esteem. Now that I feel like I "fit in" with the crowd, I am no longer anxious and feel much better in social situations. I'd be happy to answer any questionnaire from you. Bonnie
Kelli ~.
on 11/30/05 5:46 am - Atwater, CA
Hello Everyone, I received a great amount of support from all of the forums on here. I realize now how important this study will be not only for me but for others. I'll be pow wowing with my chairperson and we hope to have this up and running by end of spring, or summer. I'd like to have it done by a website so people can fill out the questionnaires but it first has to be approved and getting participants needs to be at random, so there's a few things to work out but in the end I think it will be interesting to see the effects WLS has on people. Thanks for the support... Kelli
vickig
on 12/1/05 6:39 am - CRAWFORD, GA
yes yes yes.....just got off phone with woman who never realized how wls would affect her mentally. the losing you're best friend thing. some people just don't realize what we are giving up emotionaly as wls patientients! i have wls dec 15th would love to participate in study! v.g. best of luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views