We are unique and must stick together!!

BeeHappe
on 11/21/05 11:05 am - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
I just wanted to share some of my feelings and thoughts on some things. You may agree or you may disagree, but these are just my thoughts. The people that go to Mexico to have this surgery done are unique. We have tried to get our insurance company to pay for this life changing event, but have been unable to get them to pay, or we just don't have insurance at all. Whatever the case, we have decided to go to Mexico to have this done. I know that this takes alot of research, courage and soul searching to make this decision. Then you have to explain to family members, who look at you like you are out of your mind, your co-workers, your doctor, your support group, and anyone else that matters, that you are going to Mexico to have this done. This takes courage, back bone and determination to do this!!! We that have had this done in Mexico or thinking about having it done, need to support everyones decision. Wether we had a good experience or a bad experience, we have to keep supporting each other. We didn't and don't make this decision overnight. We spend hours on this web site talking and researching everything that we can. Talking to doctors offices and emailing questions. Then explaining our decision to the people who matter the most. I just want to give everyone a high five for their decision and courage to make this trip to the unknown. We need to sit back and really think about what we did. We took our lives in our own hands and made this decision to go to Mexico to better our lives. The outcome, whatever it was or will be, we have to remember we had a choice. I hope that you check into your docs carefully and that you make the right decision for you. I think that the ones that have had the surgery done by all the different docs in Mexico, can give you good and bad experiences. But the decision is still yours!! I just want to say, we must stick together and support each other, because without this board, I would not have had the courage to do what I did. I want to thank you all for the great responses and encouragement that you give to me on here. I hope that I can be just as encouraging and give just as much support to everyone that is thinking about having this done. Ok, enough of my thoughts! I hope that this finds everyone happy and healthy and helps anyone in that position that has to make the big decision!! We are all here for the same reason, to be healthy and happy!!! Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! Jen 275/205/150?
bonnied
on 11/21/05 11:38 am - St. Albans, VT
AMEN! Thank you Jen! Your posting was right on point! One thing I've encountered over and over again on this particular messageboard is that if you are self pay in Mexico, no matter which doc, you do not get the intensive pre op classes and psych evals that many WLS programs here in the US require. Therefore, people going to Mexico need to do extra research, and really understand just exactly how life changing WLS is and what is required to be successful I am so thankful that I had those classes, etc before I went to Mexico. I felt very prepared. Even though I am very happy with my choice of surgeon and staff, I have nothing bad to say about them, really though, how much can you learn/process in a one hour visit with a nutritionist and 45 minutes with the surgeon? If I hadn't had the pre op stuff here, I probably would not be as happy with my choice! Bonnie
Naturegoddess
on 11/21/05 1:33 pm - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
Absolutely!!!!!! I know for none of us was this an easy decision... and I know for me the looks of horror on people's faces when I tell them where I went for surgery just makes me want to strangle them! However.... **I** chose this path. I had support from my honey and this board made me feel safe. Would I do it again? I don't know. Do I regret it? No.. why regret what's already done? A little too late for that! I'll always be honest about what I've been through... but I hope that in some small way I can be of help to someone else here too. *hugs* ~Audrey~
LinZhi's Mum
on 11/21/05 10:48 pm - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
very well said Jen. I totally agree! thank you so much. Sandy in Texas
(deactivated member)
on 11/22/05 12:50 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Hey, Jenny!! Well, said. Probably nicer than what I would have said after reading some of the things people say about Mexico. (By the way...do you need help down from your soap box? LOL) I can only tell people about MY doctor, MY hospital, and MY experience. I can't speak for all Mexican doctors and hospitals. And that's what I do. I had a great experience! I hope it continues. I welcome anyone considering Dr. Joya or surgery down south to check out my profile. Jen, how are YOU doing. Looks like maybe you're at a stall like I am. I am also losing my hair now. I've started using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner and taking Biotin every day. I need to get more calories in every day I think (as I set here choking down a protein bar) because my body probably thinks it's starving on the approx. 600 calories it's getting a day. We learn something new everyday with this, don't we? I'm not complaining though. I've lost 53 pounds and good riddence to it!! Who would've thought I could be weighing 167 pounds in three months!! I guess I can handle a stall. (a brief one LOL) Take care, God bless Thanks for the great post! Kina 220/167/130
Kelli ~.
on 11/26/05 4:02 pm - Atwater, CA
You did an excellent job summing up what we all go through to get our health in check. I know when I've mentioned Mexico as my alternative, everyone about freaked. I've heard it from friends at the university, professors, family and just about anyone that I've talked to about it in the earlier stages. Recently, I've decided to say I am having the surgery in San Diego, if they can figure it out good for them. I've done my research and luckily on campus we have a great support group, and my PCP is willing to work with me prior to the surgery. I am making my appt to see my PCP to do some pre-op work, which is included in the surgery but I just want to know before I get down there if everything is in order. I will talk to a nutritionist on campus pre-op, and post-op, everyone at the health center is pretty interested in seeing the difference in my weight. Though they do not know where I am going, they do know I am self-pay so they are rooting for me all the way. As you stated Jen, without this forum and others like it we would have very little support. I've met some really nice people on this board as well as the forum for Dr. Aceves. I've been following up on his patients for about a year now, and decided to send my reservation money for Jan 27th. It's a difficult decision to make but from what I have seen with others that have had their WLS done in Mexico it's a breeze. I've only rare accts of unhappy people, and basically it wasn't the surgery but the little things that irritated them or it was something they did not follow through but yet still blamed the doctor. Anywho, as I told my friends all doctors run the risk of problems in any given surgery whether its in the US or international. Perhaps with all the people going to Mexico, the US will finally crack down on the prices and bring them down to where people here don't have to go to extreme lengths to get better healthcare, but until then as long as the doctors are competent and caring, then Mexico is where I am headed. Not only am I having my WLS done there but also the PS, as well as some needed dental work that I have been referred by my roomies mother who is on a fixed income in Az, as she states they take buses of retirees over from Yuma, into Mx to get their dental, and prescriptions because they cannot afford them in the US. I think Mexico has a great market, they have competent doctors and are willing to do the same services for a fraction of the cost...US better get a grip on things or alot more will be travelling South of the Border in years to come. Thanks for your post...it hit home and you're an for sharing your experience! Kelli
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views