Surgery Date

ketymo
on 11/19/05 4:03 am - oklahoma city, OK
RNY on 01/09/06 with
I have a date for my surgery, it is January 9. I am a 49 year old business owner. I have 2 small businesses and my insurance does not pay for this type of surgery. If I have diabetes, hyper-tension, high colesterol, etc.... they will pay for all of that, but not RNY. (Go figure) I am going to Dr. Joya in PV. This is after a lot of research. I speak fluent Spanish,m so language will not be a barrier. I am curious about the first month after surgery. i have to remain very active with my businesses, just being gone the 10 days for surgery is a major ordeal. Any suggestions for a speedy recovery?????
Dinka Doo
on 11/19/05 4:40 am - Medford, OR
The first month out, well, I have to say I've known of people who go back to work early but most people don't and there is a good reason for that. You will have just put your body through hell. It will think that you were near death and will be putting all available reserves to mending you. That means that while you are trying to heal up and get better, and you are STARVING your body, you will be in emergency mode. Now, this is a good time to remember just why you will lose your hair a few months down the line. The thing is, not every single person, but a vast majority of the people I know who went back to work early end up writing in and complaining that one day they are fine then the next they are miserable and don't understand why they can't get through the day and why they lack energy and why they are miserable. A woman locally here was an office manager and went back to work right away. She went through the same exact thing, and even though I warned her, she still came to me wondering why she wasn't feeling so hot. She had a job where she could relax physically, but still even then it was too much for her. She would get wiped out and have to sit back in her office recliner and take a nap. I would have days where I felt wonderful and wanted to go right back to work. Then I would have days where I felt wonderful, and would get in the shower and want to go out and do something, but by the time I was dressed I was ready for a 4 hour nap. The best advice I have for you is this: BE GOOD TO YOURSELF. You are having this surgery to better your life. To make your health better and to increase your chances for a longer life. You are doing this for yourself. Why on earth would you want to compromise all this because you perceive that you have to work? What would happen if you were in a car accident and weren't able to perform? Well, we all know sometimes things just have to be done. But likewise sometimes we all have times in our lives where we have to check out for awhile and not try to be super-humans. This is a good time to plan for that. If this means you have to hire help temporarily, then I suggest you do it. If it means cutting down your workload, then I recommend you do it. Everyone thinks they cannot be replaced, especially people who own their own business. But think of the alternative. What if you push yourself to the point of being hospitalized or worse. *****places you then? The competition, that's who. Be good to yourself. You will do this only once, and the reason you are doing it is for your well-being. Don't compromise that well being so early on. Just my honest opinion. Dina
Naturegoddess
on 11/20/05 2:32 am - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
You know, it's pretty much how your body reacts as to how fast you can get back going. It took my mom 6 weeks while I'm at a lil over 3 months and still not able to do much. Then there's people like Jen who were out socializing and shopping a week out of surgery! It truly depends on how your body handles it. My advice... listen to your body. If you need the extra time, please please take it. Make sure you have someone to cover the businesses in case you need more time. *hugs* ~Audrey~
NkyBelle76
on 11/20/05 3:20 am - Union, KY
RNY on 11/29/05 with
Hi Kathy. Congratulations on having a date scheduled. I am scheduled to have surgery with Dr. Joya on Nov. 29th. So even though I can't talk to you about the month afterwards, I just wanted to tell you that I own my own business as well and completely understand where you are coming from with worrying about how long you are going to be out. It may be a blessing in disguise if you are anything like me, that we have to go out of the country to have this done. It will force us to be focusing on healing for 10 days. I'm guilty of going into the office when I have pnuemonia, had my tonsils out and was back in the office 3 days later, which I will now admit was a big mistake, because I ended up dehydrated and back in hospital! So give yourself a pep talk that the work will be there when you get back and you are going to feel better to tackle it then!
BeeHappe
on 11/20/05 10:48 am - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
Like everyone else says, it just depends on the person. Yes, I was ready to go shopping two days after my surgery. But I felt great. Some people it will take longer. I had my surgery August 9th and came back to the states August 19th and back at work August 23rd. But I sit at a desk all day and came home and went right to bed!! That was about how my first month went. I hope that this helps you!!! Jen 275/205/150?
bonnied
on 11/21/05 10:58 am - St. Albans, VT
Hi Kathy! First, congratulations on a date! It's so exciting! As you've read, everyone is different, but we all say the same thing, "I was so tired!" You need to make yourself the first priority. I suggest actually schedulling yourself extra rest. If you can, make a deal with your husband to do housework, or hire a housekeeper a few times per week to get you through this time. Also, have your cupboards and fridge stocked with the things you can have, all ready to go, so you aren't out shopping at 10pm because you didn't have the foods you need on hand. Good luck! Bonnie
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views