2nd time I hear this about DR.JOYA-PLEASE READ

Kcastro
on 11/3/05 3:07 am - San Leandro, CA
Alot of doctors are trying to use other bands as opposed to the Lap-Band which is FDA approved in the U.S. I don't know why BUT I do know that the Lap-Band is VERY VERY expensive compared to the sweedish band and midband. I just read this post: (posted 10/17/05- name of post:Can't find a post op doctor in FL) "thought I was getting the Inamed band & when I got there Nathalie informed me that several previous patients could not use the Inamed band that it was to tight & had to come back to have it removed. I told her only if he couldn't get the Inamed on I would use the Swedish band. Well I prayed that I would get the Inamed and after surgery I saw Dr.Joya & asked which one he had used he said the Swedish. I am in trouble now, no one will accept me I have calls out to numerous doctors waiting for their responce hopefully one of them will call me back" I would be furious if I couldn't get the Lap-Band, Doctors in the U.S. are familiarized with ONLY the LapBand and if there was an emergency they would know what to do....Believe me I know, My personal doctor made sure I got the Lapband, she kept telling me over and over again not to get any other band other than the Lap band and I listened to her.
BeeHappe
on 11/3/05 6:56 am - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
I am a recent patient of Dr. Joya and I found him very professional. I am not sure what he does with the lap band since I had rny, but everything that I know about him is awesome. Everyone that I have ever talk to that decides to go to Mexico for surgery, has done their research about the doc and facility. If they did not want the band that he provided then they should not have done the surgery. But that is just my opinion. I have to give everyone who goes to Mexico to have this surgery done, credit for the courage they have and know that they have done their research about the doc and the procedure. We have to go to Mexico because we can not afford the states prices and that is a risk that we take, but give us a little credit for this decision. We want the surgery just as bad as everyone else, but maybe not all of us have the ins to pay for it. So please give the ones who do this in Mexico a little credit!!! And my advice, if you are getting what you thought you were getting, don't do it!!! Jen
Kcastro
on 11/3/05 7:42 am - San Leandro, CA
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Dr. Joya is very proffessional. I don't think you understood my post very welll....I too got banded in Mexico. And of course everyone does their research BUT this is the second time I hear about a patient that goes to Dr. Joya after clearly saying they want the Inamed LapBand and once their in Mexico and paid the non refundable deposit they get the Mid-band or sweedish band without wanting too. I had a personal friend that went to Dr. Joya and she clearly told them over the phone that she wanted the INAMED Lap Band, which is approved in the U.S. When my friend arrived to Mexico Dr. Joya told her he didn't want to implant the Inamed Lap-band because it's too rough and tight. He also said that alot of his patients that got the lap-band had to go back to have it removed..He recommended the Mid-Band and that's what she got, basically she felt forced...She told me that she was so upset because she wouldn't of been able to get her deposit money back and she was already in Mexico but she was ready to walk out of there. Once she got back to the states she couldn't find a doctor to do fills...she was dissapointed that they had put the Midband after she really wanted the Inamed Lap-Band. And now I just read that poor girls post about the getting the sweedish band after she had told the doctor she wanted the Inamed Lap-Band...All i'm saying is if you are scheduled to have surgery with Dr. Joya and your mind is made up that you want the lap-band make sure you let Dr. Joya and his group know ahead of time that your mind is made up so they don't try to convince you otherwise.
Rita W.
on 11/3/05 8:53 am - Billings, MT
All surgeons have their favorite brands of products and equipment that they choose to use--I don't feel this is deception or negligence on this doctor's part, but it is something that should have been made clear prior to surgery. You always have the option to refuse, but I understand how you'd want to go ahead with the surgery after having made a down payment and already being at the hospital. Believe me, this type of thing happens all the time with physicians and surgeons in the U.S., too--they often refuse to care for someone who's has a treatment or a product they don't approve of...
Kcastro
on 11/3/05 11:59 am - San Leandro, CA
Yeah I totally agree with you....I know my post sounded a little negative about Dr. Joya and his group but I was just mentioning what I have heard twice already....I also have heard MANY great things about Dr. Joya and know that he is one of the best lap band surgeons out there...so If I offended someone by dissin' their doctor,.I'm sorry and don't take it the wrong way.
vickig
on 11/4/05 8:58 am - CRAWFORD, GA
i think we should alll be aware of possable sticky situations! thanks for the heads up! i will be having lap rny with him on dec 15th. but i'm sure lots of patients are not aware of dr. in us being partial to certain types of lapbands. thanks again for the info! vicki g
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views