Average Time Away?

NkyBelle76
on 10/27/05 12:10 pm - Union, KY
RNY on 11/29/05 with
Since I've now been turned down by my insurance, I'm looking at Mexico. It's funny because that's what I initially looked at but got my hopes up about my insurance paying! So anyway, anyone want to tell me how long they really stayed there? I'm reading 10 days a lot but hate to think of leaving my 3 year old for that long. Thanks for any help
NACOLE j.
on 10/27/05 12:32 pm - houston, TX
Hi Melissa, I too have a 3yr old and had the same concern as yourself. I flew out on a Monday/had surgery that night and flew home Wed afternoon. No problems. I woke my son up Monday morning for school and I was home Wed to pick him up. He only thought I was gone for 1 nt. I was banded by Dr Aceves in Mexicalli Mx below is his web site. Good luck on your journey. www.mexicolapband.com Nancy in TX 7/18/05 280/230/140
Amanda
on 10/27/05 10:31 pm - Kearney, NE
I had surgery with Dr. A in Ensenada and I was gone for 9 days. That includes the days I traveled. Being away from my kids was the worst part of the entire experience! But, I would do it again in a heartbeat and I am sure they would want me to! I can play, run around, get down on the floor, swing, slide, etc. with them. I am a much more fun mommy now!! Best of luck to you in your journey!! A
DW
on 10/27/05 10:39 pm - Galveston, TX
I had my surgery in Ensenada too, I wanted to wait until all the drains and staples were out, I felt great right after surgery and could have gone home earlier but I had my surgery on a Friday and went home the next Saturday. Great experience. Dot
jarrn03
on 10/28/05 2:14 am - Lebanon, OR
Melissa, I had surgery by Dr. Aguirre in March of 04. I had surgery on Friday and flew home on Tuesday. I took out my own drain and staples..I am an RN. I felt good. I was suppose to leave on Wednesday but my baby got sick so I came home a day early. I had no problems and felt great. Just a little sore and tired. Best wishes! Julie Ryan RNY 3/04 255/147 -108 gone forever!!!
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/05 4:38 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Melissa, It depends if your having RNY or lap-band. I had RNY with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I left on a Tuesday, (Aug 16) and got home on a Thursday (Aug 25), so I guess I was gone 9 days. Good luck with your decision. Kina 220/177/130
Idaho Bandito
on 10/28/05 4:45 am
Mellissa, I will be having surgery with Dr. Rumbaut (lap band) in November. I will need to be there on Tuesday morning and I can come home on Saturday morning. So I guess that's only 4 days. That's not too bad. Good luck to you! Brigitte
vickig
on 10/28/05 12:26 pm - CRAWFORD, GA
unfortunatley 10 days is the average. i to am not fond of leaving my 3 yr old or 10 yr old for that long. but... i do want the best possable care while i'm down there! it's definatley a compromise! but as it gets closer to time to go, i find my self more overwhelmed with flights and sx and panic in generall!best of luck to all! v.g.
bonnied
on 10/31/05 1:10 am - St. Albans, VT
Read my profile. I was told to expect 10 days, and got given the go ahead to go home 4 days after surgery. I wish I had more flexible flight arrangements so I could have came home sooner! My suggestion to you is if you choose Dr. Rumbaut, have flexible fight arrangements so you can go home earlier! I flew through my surgery with flying colors, and was ready 4 days after surgery. Some of the other docs mandate that you stay 10 days, to get staples or drains out, etc. I didn't have any of those, so I was set to go!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views