Follow up care, or lack thereof

Naturegoddess
on 10/9/05 3:54 am - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
I was wondering if anyone feels like since they chose to go to Mexico they chose giving up any follow up care. I don't have the option of going back down to Mexico to see my doctor.. but I know when I emailed about some problems I was having I kind of felt like I was 'imposing' on them. When you have surgery in Mexico the surgeons in the states pretty much won't touch you. If you've had complications then I think it's important to be able to talk to someone from your care team in Mexico to either reassure you that what you're going through is normal or to tell you to seek immediant medical help. I don't know, I think I'd feel better if they had a seperate email address connected to a nurse who could help us newbies along the way. I mean, every time I've had surgery here in the states I've gotten several calls from the doctors and/or hospital asking if I was ok afterwards. Does anyone else feel like they gave up aftercare to have surgery in Mexico? I have a feeling a lot of us feel that way but are kinda worried about saying anything because we know the surgeons or their assitants read this board. Don't get me wrong, the care I recieved down there was excellent... I just feel like as far as aftercare I got the bum rush. ~Audrey~
vickig
on 10/9/05 11:30 am - CRAWFORD, GA
hi audrey, i'm going to dr.joya in dec. i think that is a great idea. why don't you submit it on his web site? or ask gerald about it! i think it would be easier on them and us to have some one or a special service dedicated to this in the long run. if you don't want to do it that way let me know. i will post the ? of follow up from a pe ops point of view!even if all they could do is"oh sounds like a stricture" it would give us some were to start with our primary phys. or emergency room personel wich ever way we have to go! does that make sense.let me know what you think!
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/05 2:13 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Audrey, Who are you emailing down there? Gerald or Nathalie or who? Just curious. Kina 220/183/130
LinZhi's Mum
on 10/10/05 4:20 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Audrey, I understand where your coming from. I can comment on my band first. I went into my banding with it being very new, and my expectations of followups and fills were to be done by "his" nephew in Texas. I was comforted by that. I was not prepared for politics as "banding" got more popular. Banding doctors here was going to charge up to "1K" for fill for mexico pts. I was wanting a "banding doctor" to follow up with me. When my port broke, a surgeon in Dallas found it. I worked and been thru cat scan in ER, and no diagnosis made. At first this surgeon was going to try to do a "exploratory lap" fix my port, to aid with insurance. It was being a long drawn out deal. I called my surgeon in Monterry, and he flew me to Mexico, and took care of everything! I was impressed, til I had a accident and port was dislodged again, and thats when I found out the "new port" was not the New port. I was very dissappointed. With my RNY, unfortuately I want a surgeon too support my decision. I do not want to hold him accountable or anything. But anyways, its very hard. To me, in a simplistic way, with the RNY, I am either going to have "life threatening" complications, and the ER MUST attend to them. But with the "band" they were not life threating, so I was left to fend for my own. I know I am rambling here, but to answer your orginal question, am I comprimising my aftercare to go to mexico. Yes, maybe. I am not loaded with bucks, but PV is doable for me for any type of minor needs. But, yes I do know what you mean. I am a RN, and I do believe you can be your best own pt care advocate. Stay informed, be on top of symptoms, and with a PCP, "we" typically educate them on what labs need drawn and so forth. As far as follow up care via PV staff. I would like to know more, as I get further into this. I have emailed Gerald with info numerous times, and Called him couple times, with no problems. I did ask him about distal vs promiximal, and gerald forgot, but he did find out while he was on vaction and emailed me back promptly. So with that being said, I would be curious to find who your "go person " is post-op to get answers to problems and so forth. It is a very thought provoking mail you wrote Audry. We have one Radiologist that got involved here, only because his brother went to Monterrry and got banded. Again, its treading thin waters, cause he can do a fill, he can not obvious malfunctions, but thats all! I am still searching for some answers. I am having no luck getting a baratric surgeon calling me back, maybe I should do some letter writing?? and then I was going to find a PCP doctor that works well with baratric surgeon....as my final step maybe??? Sandy Brown
Naturegoddess
on 10/10/05 6:47 am - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
Dr. Joya's staff really is excellent, please don't think I'm saying they're not... the only email addy I have is for Gerald. I haven't spoken to anyone in their office about it... I just know when I was worried I had some sort of blockage and I emailed him, I got the impression (and I could be totally wrong as you can't exactly *see* a persons face through email) that I was being a pain. Gerald is a busy man... he does all the schedualing... so I know getting "Hey I feel this, this and this, am I ok?" has got to be irritating. I know everyone down there is busy as can be... I don't think Nathalie ever stops moving!! My concern is that once we go down there no surgeon will touch you for at least 90 days. I really watch what my body is doing these days because I'm afraid I've got another problem or 2 coming before I'll be 100%. This website is great for moral support... but I'd feel so much better if there was someone dedicated to just us from our doctor. Someone I could email stupid questions to and their job would just be to answer stupid questions. I think it would just ease my mind a bit. Someone to pat my shoulder like Dr. Joya did when I asked him stupid questions. GB is a big surgery and with all that can go wrong I would just like someone from thier office to worry to when I need it. ~Audrey~
intellectualditz
on 10/11/05 6:27 am - OKC, OK
Hi Audrey, Yeah, I ran into that too. The surgeons here not wanting to touch us. I took all my information to my primary care doctor and we're working on a follow up together. I've found this website to be wonderful for information. The strange pains, etc. This site and all it's people have more information than any one person could. Not saying it's better than a doctor's direct care. But it lets us talk among friends and figure when to turn to the docs. Evie (280/238/145)
Terri B.
on 10/12/05 1:10 am - St. Louis, MO
I have taken all of the information regarding my surgery to my local internist and he has agreed to do my follow up care. I guess I'm lucky. I printed out everything I could find on Dr. Ungson, the hospital and the surgery and my local Dr. was very impressed that I had done so much research and after looking at it felt comfortable with seeing me when I got back for post surgery care.
Tracy
on 10/13/05 11:23 am - Arlington, TX
This is so sad that you are not getting follow up care from your surgeons! I am a post op care coordinator for Dr. Aceves who does surgery in Mexicali. They recognized the need for a person like me for the reasons you state. He also has a yahoo group that he asks patients to join, and I call people once a month or email them to make sure all is well. I think this is VERY important because most of the time I find people DO have questions and they are happy I am around to answer them. I also can put them in touch directly with the doctor at any time it is required and we encourage local doctors to get in touch with Dr. Aceves anytime. I just can't believe the other doctors do not have this because I believe it is very important for after care. Like you said, you just had surgery, you don't need the added worry! Tracy Dr. Aceves Post Op Coordinator 3/1/05 280/192/155 http://www.tracyslapband.com
Gerald W.
on 10/25/05 1:41 am - Encino, CA
For post op care we are a phone call or e-mail away! If there is ever a need for anything please just e-mail or call us! - Gerald
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views