Been Informed I might be too much trouble

intellectualditz
on 10/5/05 4:28 am - OKC, OK
Hey all, I had Lap RnY with Dr. Joya Sept 5. Awsome doctor by the way. I've been comparing notes with another girl done here (her doc no longer does it) but my surgury went alot smoother and no complications. The issue is my blood work. I decided since our surguries can be tricky things afterwards, I'd go see a Bariatric surgeon for my follow-up blood work to make sure everything is normal. I've just been informed that they do not take "Mexico patients" because they've caused too much trouble in the past. So much for that hypocratic oath, eh? I have the basica idea that most of the blood work it to check your nutricianal levels. But what exactly is the doctor looking for? I made an appointment with my PCP, but her receptionist simply stated that the doctor and I could 'disscuss' it tommorow during my appointment. Why can't they be more like my vet. I bring in the information from a reliable source and they take care of me. Evie (280/240/145)
LinZhi's Mum
on 10/5/05 6:26 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Evie, Girl, I am actually trying to figure this one out too. I am awaiting a phone call right now from a baratric surgeon. I do have a awsome PCP, but I was wanting, like you, to find a surgeon to do my follow ups. Mostly, if my gallbladder was to poop out, or if there for some horrid reason a stricture, I wanted to have a surgeion to follow up with. I am a RN nurse, my insurance has exclusion, and they want upwards 3o to 40 K. I can no do!!! Others correct me here If I am wrong or forget something. The most important thing is keeping eye on your 1. CBC (your blood count), are you anemic or not ? is what it will tell you 2. Your basic chemistry levels. This will have potassium levels, sodium levels, tells the doctors if your dehydrated or not. I would think they would want to do a comphrensive chem panal. That would include things like liver enzemyes and kidney functioning tests. 3. vitamin B12 levels. ( I think is your folate level). Iron levels too. This is all your nutritional type levels due to decreased absorption and all. I have read some pts get Vit b 12 shots monthly or every so often. You might want to discuss this. 4. Take with you, your stats. Your date of surgery, your weight, measurements and so forth. Take your PCP maybe a copy of the "pouch rules" and reasons for protien, water and etc.... 5. Bring your paper work from Dr. Joya. the hand book. 6. Be sure and tell her, how you feel? ( for example: I feel great, I am getting my energy back). 7. I forgot, but you might need a rountine urinalysis done every so often, it shows if your getting plenty fluids in, and so forth. I think Evie, you will have to go in with determination, a pro active approach. I hate to be this way.....but sorta like...THIS is what I need, and IF you can not or feel you can not do it, THEN I will have to find someone who will!!!! No one likes to change PCP's if you have good relationship, but good hint in changing, is calling baractric surgeons office for referrrals of local PCP's that is "baratric surgery friendly". As far as surgeons and not treating "mexico pts". I have run across this lots with my band. They have no clue how many of these "mexican doctors" can so much superior in service, knowledge, pt bedside manner....etcc..... Hope this helps some! goodluck Evie, let us know how tommorrow goes. Sandy Brown
intellectualditz
on 10/10/05 10:22 am - OKC, OK
Hi Sandy, Thanks so much for all that wonderful information. I actually printed out your response and took it along with me to my Doctor's appointment. It went very well. She did start scolding me for going to Mexico for surgury, but I pulled out his credentials and showed her my scars. She was impressed. She's more than happy to take care of me. Sent me off to have my blood drawn and I go back in another month. She wants to see direct results. Evie (280/238/145)
LinZhi's Mum
on 10/11/05 11:58 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
your welcome Evie. Sounds like you did a great job, goodluck on your journey. Your doctor might have read the copy of my post, and thought, oh man, another smart mouth nurse!! hehe Let us know how your lab work looks Sandy
Brittney M
on 10/5/05 4:21 pm - okc, OK
Did you try Dr. Floyd in OKC? Some ladies on another site that went to Mexico got fills from him as recent as last month. If you need help I will try to check around for you. Brittney
intellectualditz
on 10/10/05 10:23 am - OKC, OK
Thank you for your offer Brittney, but my PCP is going to be taking care of me. She's a very good doc and willing to read the information I bring into her. Evie (280/238/145)
Naturegoddess
on 10/5/05 11:12 pm - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
*hugs* I know how this is... no other surgeon wants to touch a "Mexico patient". I think they're just mad that we chose better doctors! ~Audrey~
intellectualditz
on 10/10/05 10:26 am - OKC, OK
Hi Audrey, You might actually have a very valid point. My PCP was impressed with all the training Dr. Joya has and how well his incisions have closed up. Think alot of those other Bariatric doctors are sore we got a decent deal. They would still be making money off of us to just run our blood work. What are we going to do, sue them for doing blood work wrong? It's not like they're resonsible for anything in us. Evie (280/238/145)
Sadie L.
on 10/6/05 3:52 am - Bernalillo, NM
Lap Band on 09/21/05 with
Evelyn, Someone posted a site on this message board with follow-up doctors for patients whom had surgery out of the USA. I do know when you go into this site you choose your state. They'll be a list of doctors with towns and phone numbers to call. What you must look for is "FOLL" after their degree. Like Dr. Smith M.D FOLL which means they do follow-up care for bariatric patients. Sorry I didn't save the web site I believe it was in august, maybe you could write the board and ask. The best of luck to you!! Sadie Louise
intellectualditz
on 10/10/05 10:29 am - OKC, OK
Hi Sadie, My PCP is going to be taking care of me. We had a nice conversation. Thank you so much for being there with helpful information. This site is such a life savor. So much support and genuine caring. Evie (280/238/145)
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views