New here

LinZhi's Mum
on 9/21/05 10:53 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Hello everyone. I just wanted to take a bit of time to introduce myself. I am new here, and totally computer unsavy! I am planning on surgery soon on Nov 30th, with Dr. Joya. I currently have a adjustable gastric band in place. I have lost 127lbs with the band, but have been on a yr of no further wt loss. I did get my band in Mexico (another surgeon) and have found that follow up on band, very difficult in states with docs not wanting mexico banded pts. There are several reasons why I want to go for the RNY. Anyways, I am a RN supervisor ( long term ER nurse) and I have enjoyed lurking on this site, and hopefully will learn how to navigate and one day, get hubby to help me with posting picture and profile set up. Sandy
Just Me
on 9/21/05 11:02 am - Happy Place, TN
Welcome Sandy... Looked on your profile to find out more about you and was to find ya blank. WOW losing 127 pounds is quite an accomplishment... what is your current BMI? As for me, I had an open RNY with Dr. Aguirre (EXCELLENT surgeon) and very happy.
LinZhi's Mum
on 9/21/05 11:55 pm - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Dear Pat: I am sorry about that. My profile is blank, cause its going to take me a bit to quite figure this all o ut. I am not sure what my BMI is. I started out at 427, and I am now today at 301 I do understand Dr. Aguirre is very very good. I actually have a friend here in my hometown that went to see him in May I think. She looks great! Thanks for the welcome! Sandy
gogeko
on 9/21/05 3:29 pm - Palmer, AK
WELCOME ABOARD I ALSO HAD RNY IN ENSENADA BY DR. AGUIRRE. HE WAS REALLY GOOD. I HEAR THAT DR. JOYA IS GOOD TOO. WHAT KIND OF PROBLEMS DID YOU HAVE WITH THE BAND AND WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO WITH RNY? I WAS NEVER FOND OF THE BAND IDEA FOR MYSELF SINCE I LIKE SWEETS. I CHOSE RNY SO THAT I WOULD HAVE A " BUILT IN PUNISH SYSTEM" IF I WAS EVER TEMPTED TO EAT SWEETS. LUCKILY I HAVE NOT HAD ANY DUMPING SYNDROME. I HAVE BEEN VERY CAUTIOUS NOT TO EAT MORE THAN 8 GRAMS OF SUGER. AND I HAVE LEARNED TO TREAT MYSELF WITH NO SUGER ADDED POPCICLES OR FRESH FRUIT. ONCE IN A WHILE I WILL HAVE A SOUTH BEACH GRANOLA BAR. OR AN AKINS CANDY BAR. I HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL FOR YOU. KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS. TO LOSE 127 POUNDS IS GREAT. CINDY
LinZhi's Mum
on 9/21/05 11:57 pm - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Hi Cindy thanks for the welcome! I have had some minor problems with the band. About 10 months out, I had a port leak and breakage. It was "the older" port, Inmed just came out with a more flexible tube due to so many breaks. I flew down to Mexico and had replacement. Then the following Summer, I was working in ER and someone left a low lying trolly on the floor, behind the nurses station. I just got to work, you could not see it as you rounded the corner of the nurses station, I hit the trolly with the front of my ankles, it rolled, I flew and ended up landing on top of the flat bed with the end of the edges cutting across my abd. I was very lucky I was not hurt worse. I was very panicked. And of course luck would have it, It crushed my port. I had it replaced in Dallas, since it was workmans comp related, we were able to find a doctor to do this. Thank goodness! I chose my doctor cause his nephew was in dallas and was trained to do fills and would do fills for me. Well, he was a cardiologist, and he and I never quite got off on good footing. He was famous for doing fills with out flouro, and I felt strongly about needing flouro, and early on he overfilled me, I suffered for 3 days, and make a long story short, he had me in middle of park, aka soccar fields, trying to unfill me. I was humilitated, hurt....but yet Desperate, I could not swallow my own spit. Needless to say, I ended up with little cellulitis there after all said and done. I found a radiologist, that did fills for his brother that went to Monterrry and had band done. But he is semi retired and spends most of his time in Chile. If you can seem to find a doctor in Dallas to treat you ( mexican patient) then they have jacked up the costs of fills. I have seen it as high as 1K. All this being said, I am glad I have had the band and used it as a tool. I have lost, and without it, I could have been up 100 lbs. I do have some loose skin, and at times my port hurts, due to the weight. I just feel that its time to take this a step further, and I want to proceed with the RNY and loose the rest of my weight. I too Cindy, was not told that sweets is a good reason to not have the band. Sweets go down fine, in fact, eating can be a struggle and sometimes its easier to reach for them empty soft calories. So I really have to agree with Dr. Joya's and other docs reasoning, about if your a sweet eater, the band can be not as effective. Anyways, I am trying to secure a firm date of Nov 30th, I have made arrangements for my husband, daughter, couple friends, coming and going to PV, and work schedule. Now I need to get money out of savings, and make deposit. I have decided that with our doggies, my daughter who is 2, and hubby's job, it would be easier for him to stay here. I adopted my daughter from China last yr, and I do not think her going with us to PV would be ideal, and we have no exteneded family except my husbands family, who are all british and from England. So after discussing it further, its best to keep things in normal routine here. I will keep you updated. thanks! Sandy
gogeko
on 9/23/05 5:00 am - Palmer, AK
SANDY, THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH US. I HOPE ALL GOES WELL WITH YOUR NEXT SURGERY. I KNOW I HAVE BEEN PLEASED WITH MY SUCCESS. AND CONGATULATIONS ON YOUR ADOPTION. I THINK ITS WONDERFUL. CINDY
Naturegoddess
on 9/21/05 11:13 pm - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
Good morning and welcome! I had RNY with Dr. Joya August 8. He and his staff are awesome! The hospital is clean, the hotel is beautiful and they take excellent care of you. Follow up here in the states is the same as you mentioned... no one wants to touch you because you didn't have it through them. But if you need something you can e-mail Gerald and he'll either talk you through it or ask Dr. Joya and tell you what he says. I'd make sure and take off enough time so that if you have problems and they ask you to stay you can. Keep us updated on how it goes! ~Audrey~
vickig
on 9/22/05 7:45 am - CRAWFORD, GA
i am going to have lap rny w/ dr. joya. should i wear a dress or would i be able to wear capri or shorts?( because of the elastic around the waist)sounds crazy...i don't have any dresses!thanks for the help1
Naturegoddess
on 9/22/05 8:53 am - Victorville, CA
RNY on 08/08/05 with
Shorts or a dress.... you know, all my incisions are below the waistline. I brought my own PJs to the hospital so when I felt good enough I could wear them. I had 1 nightgown and 2 pant/shirt combos... and the pants never hurt me. LOL Of course I ran out of clean clothes pretty fast lol Thank heavens for the expensive laundry service at the hotel! I know you're going alone, but if you can manage... bring a small soft pillow. The ones at the hotel suck and the ones at the hospital aren't all that better. *hugs* ~Audrey~
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/05 1:28 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Hi, Sandy. I'm very excited for you and your new journey. I could go on forever about how wonderful Dr. Joya and his assistants are (especially Carlos), but it would be easier if you just read my profile. There's pictures there too. (to read the profile, just click on my name above) Good luck. Kina 220/189/120
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views