Question about flying to Mexico

bridgetok
on 9/16/05 4:06 pm - Sanford, NC
Hi everyone! My husband and I are planning to fly to Mexico to have GBS done very soon. I have a question about the airlines. Neither of us have flown in years and I'm afraid that we will both be asked to purchase an additional ticket. What is your experiance with flying and what airline did you use? Thanks Bridget
drhedg01
on 9/17/05 12:45 am - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
The only airline that has a two-seat policy is Southwest. Everyone I know who has flown on Continental had a good experience in terms of not being judged for their weight. Most flights aren't full so ask for a row with a seat in between you and your husband or lift the bar between your seat and your husband's seat and squish together so the third person has some room. I was so nervous about flying down but flying back I felt like "**** it. I've done all I can now!" Also, don't be afraid to ask discreetly for an extender. They'll give you one quietly. Good luck!
psgraham29
on 9/17/05 1:18 am - Seattle, WA
Never had a problem with any airlines, though sometimes I've been very uncomfortable. Coming back from Mexico, paid the extra $$$ and upgraded to first class. The additional room made a much more comfortable trip. -Pam
bridgetok
on 9/17/05 11:03 am - Sanford, NC
I didn't even think of first class. Thank you Pam, I will have to look into how much extra the cost is. Bridget
bridgetok
on 9/17/05 11:01 am - Sanford, NC
Thank you Donna. The last time my husband and I flew together (4+ years ago) we were not able to sit next to eachother, there was simply no room. We had to go to different rows, so we could fit. And I know we've gained even more weight since then. If it's not a full flight it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm afraid it will be booked solid and they will require us to purchase empty seats which won't be available, and we'll lose our seats and miss our surgery. I'm stressing, can you tell? LOL Bridget
Just Me
on 9/17/05 10:26 am - Happy Place, TN
Well, my response has to do with flying AFTER the surgery. What I mean by problems is... 1) If you have RNY your tummy is going to be sore. 2) Sitting for a long time will aggravate the problem. 3) Standing during most of the ride home may be more comfortable than sitting...
bridgetok
on 9/17/05 11:04 am - Sanford, NC
Thanks Pat. The flight is 3 hours 12 minutes (approx) so thankfully that won't be too bad.
drhedg01
on 9/17/05 11:49 am - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
Bridget, try flying on an "off" day if you can. I flew on a Monday and Thursday so it wasn't too bad. I KNOW how stressful this is because it was actually my biggest fear about having surgery (get my insides rereouted? Not a problem. Flying down there? Problem). But just think this is one of the last - if not the last - that you have to worry about it! If you can upgrade to first class, it helps. Some airlines are only $75 bucks to upgrade. Continental was $400. So, you know, the aggravation was worth it.
sweet
on 9/19/05 8:57 am - marysville, Wa
Hi Bridget, I know EXACLY how you are feeling. I'm from Seattle and my husband and I coughed up the outrageous fee for first class! It cost us a total of $4000.00 for the 2 of us roundtrip (there was NO way I was gonna try and upgrade). Thinking about the trip without a first class seat would have been stressful enough. I'm 5'4 apple shaped and started at 280lbs. We flew out on Alaska in first class and I use every inch of the seatbelt, almost was gonna ask for the extender. Our connecting flight was from Vegas on Air Mexico and their first class is much more roomier leg, seat and seatbelt wise. HTH-Hugs, Liz
bridgetok
on 9/23/05 2:44 pm - Sanford, NC
Wowzers! $4000.00 is waaaaay out of our budget for airfare! We're tight as it is, so I don't think we'll be flying 1st class, lol.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views