Pre Op Liquid Dite Question

Animals2u
on 9/11/05 6:29 am - Lincoln, NE
Some Doctors what you to go on a liquid diet before your operation. Can I ask WHY? Some Doctors do not require it and others do. Some say for a few days others want 10 days. Take care. LaDonna
gogeko
on 9/11/05 12:01 pm - Palmer, AK
FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND IS THAT THE LIQUID DIET HELPS SHRINK THE LIVER. MOST DR.S DOING LAPROSCOPIC PROCEDURES LIKE TO HAVE THE LIVER SHRUNK TO HELP THEM BE ABLE TO MANUVER THEIR TOOLS AROUND WITH BETTER EASE. I DIDNT HAVE TO DIET BEFORE SURGERY. I HAD OPEN RNY WITH DR. AGUIRRE. SO I DONT REALLY KNOW A WHOLE LOT ABOUT WHY SOME DR.S REQUIRE DIETING. CINDY
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/05 12:25 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Hi, LaDonna, The previous poster was pretty much on the nose. I had surgery with Dr. Joya and he required a two week clear liquid and non-fat yogurt diet. This was to shrink the liver. There is also the advantage of losing some weight on this diet. 10-15 pounds average, I'd say. Then you have a jump start on your weight loss. Also, it prepares you for the weeks after surgery with the same type of diet. Just be sure that if your doctor requires it, do it! There's a reason for everything. Good luck Kina 220/193/120
psgraham29
on 9/12/05 2:34 pm - Seattle, WA
My doctor asked for 4 days (he asked different things of different patients, I believe based on their starting weights) and said it was for the liver. I'm glad I did. I got the sugar withdrawal and the caffine withdrawal crabbiness and headaches out of the way before I added the surgery pain. -Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views