IN NEED OF SUGGESTIONS FOR HEAD AND CHEST COLD

gogeko
on 9/8/05 10:05 am - Palmer, AK
I CAME DOWN WITH A SORE THROAT 4 DAYS AGO AND THAN I GOT REALLY STUFFY IN THE HEAD WITH SINUS PREASURE AND NOW ITS MOVING INTO MY CHEST. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I CAN DO FOR IT? I HAVENT TAKEN ANY PAIN KILLERS OR ANY TABLET FORM PILLS SINCE I HAD SURGERY. IM STARTING TO COUGH A LOT AND WAS ALSO WONDERING ABOUT COUGH DROPS. CAN WE USE THEM? I HAVE RNY. NOT BAND SO I BELIEVE THERE MAY BE A DIFFERENCE IN WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT USE. THANK YOU CINDY
Just Me
on 9/8/05 11:32 am - Happy Place, TN
Cindy, Hope you feel better soon. Another Aguirre patient has posted the doctor's drugs to take/drugs to avoid suggestions on a website... here's the link... http://www.katsjourney.com/drugs.html A few tidbits. When I was in Ensenada I took Mucinex with a cough suppressent in it. Now, these are time released tablets... but won't do us much good because there's less "TIME" in the stomach and intestines... so you could up the dosage by taking it more frequently, but I wouldn't increase the dosage taken AT ONE TIME. I took these little tables after open RNY while in Ensenada and didn't have a problem. soooo.... that was over 90 days ago... would think our tummites would be better able to handle it now.... Anyway... For a clogged nose... try the ole vicks vapor stand by thingie... http://www.vicks.com/products/vapor_inhaler.shtml Also pour some of Vick's Vapor that goes into a steamer into a pot of boiling water... That'll clear your head! http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100288&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod352095 But when the mucus begins to invade your chest... do whatever you can to cough it up or out... Expectorants (Like the drug Guaifenesin in Mucinex) will clear the mucus in your chest... (but am sure you already knew that)... Besides a lot of liquids, teas, and stuff... watch the sugar content on liquid meds and hope you get well soon. Here's some other information for other folks interested... Brand Name Choledyl Expectorant Common Name oxtriphylline - guaifenesin How does this medication work? What will it do for me? This medication contains two ingredients which work in different ways. Oxtriphylline (a xanthine derivative) relaxes muscles in the airways, which opens them so that air may move more easily in and out of the lungs. It may also increase the strength of the muscles used for breathing. Guaifenesin helps to loosen mucus, making it easier to cough up. This medication is used for the symptomatic treatment of of asthma, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis when loosening of mucus is required. Your doctor may have suggested this medication for conditions other than the ones listed in these drug information articles. If you have not discussed this with your doctor or are not sure why you are taking this medication, speak to your doctor. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. How should I use this medication? The usual dose for those over 14 years of age is 10 mL four times daily. For those aged 10 to 14 years, the usual dose is 5 mL four times daily. Many things can affect the dose of medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor. What form(s) does this medication come in? Each 5 mL of red, cherry-flavoured liquid contains oxtriphylline 100 mg and guaifenesin 50 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: alcohol, anethole, citric acid, FD&C Red No. 2, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavouring agents, glycerin, sodium citrate, sodium cyclamate, and sugar. Alcohol: 20%. Sodium:
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/05 1:17 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Hi, Cindy. Hope you are feeling better. The previous poster had plenty of info. I would think cough drops would be fine as long as they're sugar free. Good luck, take care. Kina 220/195/120
tamara_b73
on 9/9/05 2:56 am - wisconsin dells, wi
I found that Hall's has a sugar free cough drop and they actually taste decent. I think they are black cherry. Other than that, I believe we can take Tylenol Cold...at least I did and didn't have any problems. And of course, Vicks is awsome to rub on your chest. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon. Tamara 321/219/150?
gogeko
on 9/9/05 1:21 pm - Palmer, AK
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP. CINDY
vickig
on 9/11/05 6:23 am - CRAWFORD, GA
i hope all is well for you now. when will we see some new pictures of you?
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views