Far out post-ops! Question!

Lorraine Wentz
on 8/28/05 11:45 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Before I had my surgery, I drank diet caffeine free pepsi all the time. Will I ever be able to drink it again. Even if it's only once in a while? If so, does it have to be flat? Or can it be a nice bubbly cold one from the fridge? What are the effects of carbonation on an rny stomach? Answers are much appreciated! Cheers! Lorraine
DW
on 8/28/05 12:08 pm - Galveston, TX
Lorraine, I drank alot of diet coke prior to my surgery after my 1 year anniversary, I tryed a diet coke again and I just don't like them anymore. I figured 1, once in a while would be ok and it probably would but I don't want them. I drink water, sugarfree coolaide, coffee and tea (no sugar) , when we go out I have a bloody mary or vodka and tonic. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything Dot
drhedg01
on 8/28/05 1:50 pm - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
Lorraine, a friend who had lap RNY in May tried a diet Dr. Pepper after three months without letting it go flat and said she felt like she was having a heart attack from all the fizz. Please wait at least four months based on her experience! I gave up all cokes a long time ago and tried to drink one in a pinch after several months and it tasted like crap. You'll lose your taste for it in all probability. Other than fizzy coke detox, how are you doing?
Lorraine Wentz
on 8/28/05 4:48 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
I pray that I loose the taste for it!! The food commercials get to me once in a while, but amazingy it's the soda commercials that drive me crazy! Other than the soda withdrawls, I'm doing well! There's no pain anymore and my incision is healing nicely. I've promised not to weigh myself again until Sept. 5, so I don't know how much more I've lost. I see I'm loosing in my chest area though. I can tell I'll have to have some lifting done some day! Gonna have to get some new super suportive bras soon. At least they'll be smaller!! Thanks for the reply. You too Dot!! Cheers! Lorraine
Lorraine Wentz
on 8/28/05 4:58 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
I forgot to say congrats on your successful surgery!!! Keep us posted on how you're doing! Cheers! Lorraine
klnbaker
on 8/29/05 2:13 am - Gresham, OR
Hey Girly-girl! I don't like the way carbonation feels anymore But, I do miss an icy, cold soda every one in a while. What I do it pour it into a glass with ice. I also pour it from about a foot in the air so it looses some of the fizziness! Kathleen
tamara_b73
on 8/29/05 11:51 am - wisconsin dells, wi
Lorraine, I am six months out and I have to tell you....I drink soda all the time. Diet soda of course, but soda. I have to drink it slowly and I have to pour it into a glass because it has too much carbonation out of the can or bottle, but I do drink it. There have been a couple of times that I felt like it bloated me to much and then I just stopped and burped. Other than that it has been fine and I just couldn't do without it. I don't feel like it has stretched my stomach at all as I have been doing this since about 6 weeks out and I still can't eat very much at all. Plus, I am 99 pounds down and I feel like I am doing well. I know there are others who drink soda as well....Tooter for one....and have been successful. I guess it's a matter of each person being different and able to tolerate different things. It's certainly not the very best choice of beverage and I don't count it towards my liquid intake, but I do have soda daily. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Tamara 321/222/150?
Cheri Moran
on 8/29/05 1:06 pm - Big Spring, TX
Hi Lorraine! There is an on-going debate about drinking carbonated drinks. One side says it can stretch the pouch the other says it won't. I decided before my surgery that I didn't want to take the chance. I made up my mind that I wouldn't drink carbonated drinks and so far (soon to be 16 months) I haven't. My understanding is that if you are going to drink them, you should let them set for awhile so that they are more or less "flat." I guess this is another area where you have to reasearch and then weigh what is best for you. Although I dearly loved Diet Dr. Peppers before surgery, I have found I can easily live without them. The only time I've really had a craving for one was when we went to a professional baseball game. It just seemed natural to have a coke while there but after a few minutes the desire went away. I was glad I didn't give in to it. I wish you the best as you make this decision. Cheri
Dinka Doo
on 8/30/05 1:33 am - Medford, OR
"Bad" girl here. I have had diet soda since about 4 months out. I first drank it probably about 2 months out and poured Diet Pepsi over ice which took the fizz out. I never had a problem with it like that. I drink it straight now. The only thing I ever felt that was like discomfort was similar to when you swallow air but it never was a big problem. I burped it right out. I'm in the camp that feels that it's not going to stretch your pouch. You have 2 outlets for the gas - it seems pretty logical that the worst that will happen is a little discomfort but actual stretching....I just don't buy it. The surgeons themselves are split down the middle on it, so that alone tells me that even they are guessing. If they can't agree, then I figure I'll make up my own mind. The studies that show the successful patient doesn't drink carbonated beverages is skewed. 52% of the successful patients in the study did not drink carbonated beverages. They didn't indicate whether the other 48% of successful patients were drinking solely diet soda or what. Still, 48% of the successful patients DID drink carbonated beverages. So again, it says to me it's a choice only and doesn't affect the success. These are just my opinions. I have no science to back any of it up, but neither do the surgeons.... Dina
Evie
on 8/30/05 8:03 am - Arnprior, Canada
Hey Lorraine! How ya doing kiddo! From what I understand and have read, carbonation will stretch your new pouch! You don't want to do that....you went through an awful lot for your new pouch! I know how you feel cuz I am addicted to Diet Pepsi! I LOVE MY POP!!! But it is worth giving up....thin**** cold water! And you know, that crystal light is not so bad! Good Luck! Eve
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views