Back from surgery with Dr. Joya

drhedg01
on 8/27/05 11:03 pm - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
Hi guys! I'm finally back from Puerto Vallarta where I had surgery RNY with Dr. Joya. After thinking about this for years and deciding to do it last May (delayed by the $30,000 they wanted in the states), I researched doctors and found Dr. Joya. Went down Monday the 15th and had surgery. He was wonderful, the team was wonderful, the nurses were wonderful. A word of caution, nurses in Mexico can sleep during the night shift but they POP UP (not kidding) when the hear your call buzzer or you walk out of the room so don't be alarmed. I stayed for four days in the hospital and then went on to the resort. The doctors check on you every day and are so funny, nice, and excellent. One night I had an awful pain in my side and my sister called the docs and they were AT MY DOOR in 10 minutes. I was so fortunate to be down there with Susan, Jen, and KansasKat. We had never met just seen each other on the board but we all supported each other, laughed hysterically, and craved ice chips together. They are awesome. I'm so glad I didn't spend $30K in the states for a cold doctor and three nights at a crappy hospital. I never ONCE waited for a nurse to do anything for me. I'm totally spoiled now. If you're thinking of Mexico, my suggestions are: 1) Research your doctor and get others' experiences and opinions. I picked Dr. Joya because of his experience with lap RNY. He also does a great lap band, though, just ask Susan. He has a stellar reputation for bedside manner and did part of his training at Jackson Memorial in Miami. 2) Take someone with you if at all possible. The nurses and doctors with Dr. Joya ALWAYS helped me but having my sister there for emotional support was invaluable. 3) It's no picnic. Be prepared to be mentally tough. I cried pretty hard twice just from the stress but then it ended. 4) Know that it is SOOOO humid in Mexico right now. Everything is soggy. Everything. Good luck and if you have any Dr. Joya questions let me know! Finally, a huge thanks to Kina, Jen, Susan, and Susan's mom for all the fun and support!!!!
Waiting for help H.
on 8/28/05 11:47 pm - Lone Star State, TX
Thank you for everything you wrote. I am scheduling the lapband surgery with Dr. Joya in February. I can't wait.
drhedg01
on 8/29/05 1:13 am - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
I am soooo happy for you! You will LOVE him. Plus, it won't be humid in February. Yeah! If you can, take someone with you and try to stay a total of 10 days. If you have ANY questions, please ask me. He's the real deal in a place where "chop shops" do exist. I never doubted him for a second. Write me and let me know if I can help in any way! Donna
Waiting for help H.
on 8/29/05 6:50 am - Lone Star State, TX
Actually, I am getting a lot of flack from friends that I told, there was even an article on msn website that showed a woman having plastic surgery in Nuevo Laredo, the pictures are so awful, the hospital room looks like the back room of an alley and their is hardly an hospital equipment in the room, it really scared me. Does the room and the hospital look like the photos on the internet site? Were you ever frightened?
drhedg01
on 8/29/05 12:46 pm - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
I understand the whole flack from friends thing. It's really scary to go down there but I saw that people on here who had good experiences went to Dr. Joya, Dr. Aguirre, or Dr. Aceves (spelling?) so I checked those guys out and started asking questions. The hospital was small but immaculate. God, if they cleaned that room ONE MORE TIME per day I was going to go nuts. Good equipment, nice look to it, etc. I PROMISED myself if I got there and had a bad gut feeling I'd leave. But I didn't. It was nice and I definitely had the same cold feet everyone else does (is this the right decision? won't Weigh****chers work on THIS try?) but I never felt a bad feeling about him, the setup or the hospital. You put down a $1000 deposit on the surgery but don't hand them the actual money until you are there and in the hospital. Make the same promise to yourself- any bad feelings and I'm outta here. You won't have any of course. ;) And you do have to be careful down there because there ARE chop shops. You can't just wander down there and say "I think I'll have wls today." But if you research your doctor and interview people, then add the promise to yourself that you'll leave if you don't have a good gut feeling, then you're good to go. It's the best thing I ever did for myself and I feel blessed to have had the doctor I did. Ask any question you need to, though! I'm here for ya girl!
psgraham29
on 8/29/05 2:29 pm - Seattle, WA
Good comments Donna. Just adding Dr. Rumbaut to your list of reputable doctors in Mexico. He does the lap band and lap RNY. The hospital is first class. -Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views