Fills in U.S. after surgery in Mexico?

Ally
on 8/16/05 2:59 am - Abilene, KS
I have my lap band surgery date !!!yahooooo!! I will be having the lap band in Monterrey, Mexico by Dr. Rumbaut on SEPT. 15TH! I have a question for all of you. Everyone told me to have a doctor lined up in the States to do my fills and aftercare since I am having surgery in Mexico. I have talked to TallGrass in Topeka and they will charge me $200.00 for each fill. Is this a normal price for the fills? Since Dr.Rumbaut will do the fills for free, I am considering going back to him for at least my first fill. My airfare is only 100.00 more to have it done in Mexico, since he will do them for free. How important is it to have the doctor that did your procedure to also do your fills? Is there anything that a doctor can do to mess up my port or other things, especially if they have a hard time finding it? Do all Dr. do the barium after the fills? What other reasons would it be important for me to have a doctor close by other than complications and fills? I will have my primary physican as well. The main reason I am going to Mexico for this procedure is because of the doctors experience. Granted it would be less for me to have it done here, but I am concerned if they were to do something wrong with the fills, damage the port or something. I am obviously self pay. I feel that the fills are as important as the procedure itself and I want to make sure that I achieve the proper restriction. I have also been told that it usually takes U.S. doctors more fills to find your "sweet spot". It wouldn't make sense to have 3-4 fills over a 2 year period done in Mexico, and have to have 5-6 here. I need your help with this How many fills can you expect to have over a two year period? I have done so much research to find the doctor that I am most comfortable with, but I don't have that will a fill doctor. The fill procedure seems to be pretty complication free, but I want to make sure that if I choose to have my fills in the U.S. that I will be in good hands. Have any of you gone back to Mexico to have your fills when it would have been more convenient in the U.S.? Tell me your thoughts. Thanks, Ally
aperez
on 8/17/05 5:18 am - waco, TX
HI Ally, i had my surgery in Mexico also. I live about 8 hours from Monterrey. I was banded 4/16/05, my first fill was 5/21, My Dr. came to Dallas. I got 2 1/2 cc put in. That was good, for a while. I went back this weekend to Monterrey and got another fill which has me at 5 1/2 cc. I could of gone to a Dr in dallas which is 100 miles away, but he was gonna charge be 500 for the first consultation, then 150 after for each fill. I thought about it and I just perfer going back to the surgeon who place my band. Just my oponion. Good luck
ellen b
on 8/20/05 1:40 pm - WI
I had Dr Rumbaut do my lapband too! Oct 2004. and I went back to him for my first fill because I had heard he would put more in then most US doctors would, another words, be more aggressive...............so what I am saying is that might be cheaper here in the states but how many more visits are you going to have to make to the US doctors.........Dr rumbaut will usually do a least a 2 cc fill.........for the 1st one. I had a radiologist I work with do my second and so I have 2.9 cc. My radiologist trusted me and I told him I wanted no more than 1cc added at that time. And boy was I glad..........very tight. And the radiologist cost about $200 for the hospital and not sure on the bill for the radiologist. I think he dropped his charge. My advice is to go to Dr Rumbaut for the 1st one at least. ps..........I dont think I will ever need another fill. At least not anytime soon......... pss...........mine only holds 5cc total. Goodluck
Ally
on 8/20/05 2:09 pm - Abilene, KS
Hi Ellen, I was told that as well about the US doctors being conservative, even if they know they can put in more to give you the restriction you need. You end up going several more times instead of having the right fill in the first place. This is just what I have heard on here. I will know from experience soon. I can only hope that I find the "sweet spot" without much trouble and adjustments. You're coming up on your first year anniversay, congrats! How have you done and felt? Ally
CharlesL
on 8/25/05 12:59 am - West Palm, FL
Here is a place, the WISH center have offices around the US, they take patients from Mexico for Lap Band Fills http://www.wishcenter.org/new/lapband_01.asp
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views