Re-introducing myself

Vicki P.
on 8/9/05 1:52 pm - AZ
Hi, I'm Vicki from southern AZ. I was to have sugery last October, but my financing fell through. I have everything lined up now and am scheduled with Dr. Aguirre on Sept 16. A friend and I are driving there. I have a community newspaper and I too saw the abc news. It made me furious and brought me to a decision. I've kept a really low profile as far as my readers are concerned, but after seeing that newscast, I decided to do an article regarding people traveling out of the country for surgery and to admit to everyone where I'm going and why. I'm also going to do a profile on Dr. Aguirre. My article is still in the rought draft stages, but anyone who wants to read it, just let me know. I'm think I'm getting pretty excited - I've never had problems sleeping and all of a sudden I'm an insomniac! I have some questions regarding going to Mexico, if someone wouldn't mind answering. I've read on some older profiles that they remove your moles or skin tags during sugery - are they still doing that? Also, because I work so many hours (60-80 hrs a week) at the computer, it's gotten very difficult for me to get around. Is it very far from Dr. Aguirre's to the hospital? Also, I understand there are stairs at the hospital - what's that like? I'd appreciate your help. I'm also wondering if someone would be willing to be an angel for me. Thanks, Vicki
drhedg01
on 8/9/05 2:37 pm - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
I haven't been to Mexico for my surgery yet but I wanted to say welcome back and congratulations on "going public" with your story. I worked as a journalist and went public on my bulimia at the time. It's hard but you won't believe how many people you'll help. Good luck!
Jenny C.
on 8/9/05 3:47 pm - Ridgecrest, CA
Vicki, Thanks for sending me your article I would like to read the final draft and other articles written with regards to your journey. Jennifer
DW
on 8/9/05 7:10 pm - Galveston, TX
Hi Vicky, Don't worry about stairs at the hospital, they have an elevator too. I never had a problem getting around, I stayed at the Hotel Coral (beautiful) it was before Dr A had the apartments but my hubby saw them and said that they are really nice. I would love to read your article please email it to me. Ask me anything you want. I will email you my address Dot
Lorraine Wentz
on 8/10/05 3:11 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Vicki, You're a brave woman and I admire that. I wish you luck with your going public. As for getting around Ensenada, don't worry about a thing. Rosella or Bambi will drive you when and wherever you need to go. I'm a pretty big gal, and I was under the impression that all the places that I'd need to go would be within a quick walking distance. Not so. At least not for me anyway! So, Rosella has been driving me wherever I need to go. To and from the hospital and down to the shops. The distance from the hospital to Dr. Aguirre's office is only a few steps, so not to worry about that. I still have to walk, but just short short distances and with little breaks in between. Here's something funny! I thought before going, that I was going to save on having the nurse come to the apartment, and just walk to the hospital everyday and have them take my temp and blood pressure there. HA!!!!!!! When they showed me the distance, I laughed at myself and said yeah right! As a mater of fact, I never needed the nurses anyway, so I still saved the money from that!! I never had to use the stairs at the hospital. Elevator only! Hope that helps! Cheers! Lorraine
Vicki P.
on 8/10/05 4:50 am - AZ
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm so glad to hear you're doing great. Very encouraging! A friend and I are driving down there in her van, so we'll have transportation while there. I plan to stay at the Coral Marina Hotel. I didn't get an answer from anyone regarding the removal of moles during surgery - is Dr. Gomez still doing that? ~Vicki
Lorraine Wentz
on 8/10/05 5:04 am - St. Catharines, Canada
I'm sorry, but to be quite honest I have no idea about the mole thing. I don't have any, so there was nothing for them to remove! I'm sure if you ask them they'd be more than happy to. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with that. Cheers! Lorraine
GW
on 8/10/05 4:23 am - Weatherford, TX
Hey Vicki! Congratulations on the best decision you have made concerning your health care. I got tired of fighting the insurance and went to Dr. A in Mexico and have never regretted any of it! I would love to read the article as well. If you want to ask me any questions, I would love to help in whatever way I can. I went March 4, 2005 and have lost 69 pounds. I feel great! I so respect people such as you and Amy (she did the MTV special for TV) who put yourselves out there to pave the way for others. Maybe someday in the near future, the obese won't be looked upon with such prejudice and disgust and the insurance companies won't be allowed the 'luxury' of denying life saving surgery! YOU ARE AWESOME! Genie
Shartee
on 8/10/05 8:27 am - Kissimmee, FL
Hi Vicki, I was in the same position as you; my surgery was scheduled for Nov. 2004 then my financing fell through. I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago and I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, it was the best decision I've ever made! I would love to read your article! I worked at a newspaper for 7 years and I do believe that you'll be shocked at how many people may be able to relate to your story and benefit from it as well. If you would like any additional information about the surgery, or if I can be of any help, just send me an email; I'll be happy to assist. Best of luck to you!! Hugs, ~Sharon~
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views