Airplane issues

drhedg01
on 8/9/05 6:46 am - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
You know the thing I dread most about this surgery is being on the plane. I weigh 300. I know the worst that will happen is that I'll have to ask for an extender and make the person next to me uncomfortable. But I HATE that. It's almost enough to make me want to not go. Anyone else have these issues? How did you handle it? Thanks!
DW
on 8/9/05 7:38 am - Galveston, TX
The seatbelt fit me but I had to squeeze it tight, not a problem when I went to have my surgery but on the way home the belt being so tight opened up a small section on my incision, my scar is barely noticible but it is wider where the belt hit it, if I had it to do over I would definitely ask for the extender but who cares it is the last time you will ever need it. Dot
Jenny C.
on 8/9/05 7:55 am - Ridgecrest, CA
Donna, I agree with Dot, it will be the last time you will need the extender, what the heck your heatlh and quality of life is more important. I see on your profile (what there is of it ) that you have chose Dr. Joya, What helped you make that decision? I am in a pickle with insurance and all. I may end up going to Mexico if I can finance the surgery also.
Lorraine Wentz
on 8/9/05 8:04 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Donna, I know precisely how you feel. I too get very nervous when it's time to fly. Here's the thing. If you take someone with you (which I highly recommend for many many reasons) you can lift the arm and there should be no problem. But if you are going on your own, there will be some problems if the person beside you doesn't want the arm up. Ok, now, don't you worry at all about asking for a seatbelt extender. They will get you one and be discrete about it. Well, that's been my experience so far anyway, and I travel quite a bit. Don't jeopardize your health because of embarrasment. It's not worth it. I am lucky to have a little boy that doesn't take up too much space, so I can sit patially in his seat. The only uncomfortable part for me, is there is no leg room and if the person in front of you puts the seat back, it's practically in your face. Oh! And on some airplains the arms don't go all the way back into the seat, so it kinda pokes into your side and shoulder. Anyway, let's just pray that the flight you are on isn't full and people will be able to spread out. And that it's not too long a flight. Hope all goes well!!! Cheers! Lorraine
gobelkys
on 8/9/05 9:03 am - MIAMI, FL
Well if I was you I would ask for the extender before you seat, that way the person next to you has no idea what it is. Hope this help, Belkys
drhedg01
on 8/9/05 11:49 am - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
Thanks guys for the support. I look forward to this being the last freakin' time I worry about it. I needed the boost and the advice. I've never flown this fat before. Yikes. I chose Dr. Joya because he has a lot of experience in Lap RNY. His patient reviews were good and his package of $12,000 for surgery, flight, and hotel was very reasonable. Certainly not the cheapest, but I didn't want to go based on cheapness alone. He's credentialed and the hospital he operates at is nice. His site is www.drjoya.com. I can't wait to hear from Jenny so I know how her experience was. Lorraine, I was so glad to see your report and that you're doing well. Congratulations!
Lorraine Wentz
on 8/11/05 4:08 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Donna, I did the same thing as Catherine for awhile, but I had no idea they had extenders. So the moment I found out I knew I had to get over the embarrassment and ask, for my own saftey. Cheers! Lorraine
honestkate
on 8/10/05 1:53 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Do what I did the first time I relized the seat belt didn't fit me. I asked for a pillow and blanket! I put them in my lap..to stay cozy and all, and no one knew I didnt' have my seat belt on. I kept waiting for the captain to announce, "ehmmm....my control panel indicates that someone in seat 23A doesn't have their seat belt on". I got away with it! For me to ask for an extender would have been up there with asking for an adult diaper. Donna, we'll look back at this one day and laugh, cry, laugh, cry and laugh some more...but at least we won't be living in shame.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views