What is your take?

Jenny C.
on 8/9/05 3:47 am - Ridgecrest, CA
I have been fighting with my insurance company for 9 months now. I hired an attorney after the first denial and have recieved 2 more denials since then. Right now there is a request with my employer since Aetna is self funded. I have become quite discouraged and have been experiencing severe bouts of depression because of the embarassment of being overweight and because of the arthitis in my back and sleep apnea does not allow me to sleep well. Now the reason for this post. What helped you come to the decision in choosing your surgeon in Mexico? I have researched Dr Aguirre and Dr Rumbaut, both sound extremely qualified and experienced in performing RNY. I would prefer Lap however would consider open if needed. The lap band is not for me, I am a grazer and have a sweet tooth. What is your take on this? I have heard great thing about both surgeons from you all. How did you finance the surgery?
DW
on 8/9/05 4:06 am - Galveston, TX
Hi Jennifer, I would finance my surgery anyway I could, I would refinance my house or borrow/beg from relatives if I had too. I got money from one of my credit cards and I would do it again. I went to Dr Aguirre and could not have had a better experience. My scar from the open RNY is so thin that you can barely see it. I have submitted pictures of my scar at 17 months post op, just waiting on the volunteers to post them on my profile. There are several great doctors in Mexico, I choose Dr Aguirre because of the successes of his patients. I am now planning on a TT from Dr Fuentes (I had a consultation with him at Dr A's reunion in Las Vegas) I had several previous surgeries and felt that open was best option for me. I now feel like a million bucks, sometimes I forget that I even had wls. Good Luck Dot
Jenny C.
on 8/9/05 4:24 am - Ridgecrest, CA
Thank you for the response Dot. I am leaning towards Dr Aguirre because of the great things I hear about him and his team. They sound like they make you part of their family when your their. I have been following Lorraine's journey, her posts have been quite encouraging. My family is very supportive but they are scared to death of me thinking of going to Mexico but my Mom is beginning to see the affects that the extra weight has cause me and scares her too. With that said I don't believe they would be willing to loan me the money because they are self employed and the money they have is there retirement money. And to me there retirement is just as important as this surgery. I read your profile and am so happy to hear how supportive your hubby was in your decision to make this journey. From experience I know not all spouses are as supportive. I am separated now and my give damn is busted. Thanks again, Jennifer
DW
on 8/9/05 7:03 am - Galveston, TX
Hi Jenny, If you go to my profile my pictures are now there Dot
Jenny C.
on 8/9/05 7:48 am - Ridgecrest, CA
Dot, You look absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations on your weight loss. Keep up the good work. Dr Aguirre does do beautiful work. Thanks for sharing Jennifer
vickig
on 8/10/05 4:54 am - CRAWFORD, GA
realy..........i have streatsh marks worse than your scars. you look great!
bonnied
on 8/9/05 4:02 pm - St. Albans, VT
Hi Jennifer! I went with Dr. Rumbaut for lap RNY and have not regretted it one bit! The hospital was amazing, so clean and professional! All the comforts of home were there, American TV, air conditioning, elevators, free internet access and more at both the hospital and hotel room (Hampton Inn). I have 5 incisions but only 4 show (about 1/2 inch each) and the other is hidden inside my navel. I have been totally impressed by the way they do business there, it's a teaching hospital so I had several residents checking on me each day I was in Mexico and they continue to follow up with me via email (they just did yesterday). The price is more (lap is more expensive no matter where you go) but well worth it. Only one day of true discomfort and then back to all my usual activities. Another bonus, no yucky strange drains. He does his RNYs just like they do here in the US. You are right about going for RNY versus the band, I'm glad you know yourself and your habits! Sounds like you'd be able to "eat around" the band if you got one, I know I would. There is no way a band would stop me from my favorite home grown B&J ice cream! Good luck in your decision! Bonnie
Jenny C.
on 8/10/05 2:53 am - Ridgecrest, CA
Bonnie, How much did you end up paying for the surgery? I have been researching Dr Rumbaut and he is very experienced and Lap RNY is kind of where I am headed, I have three children and really don't have a lot of down time. Thank you
Ally
on 8/10/05 4:07 am - Abilene, KS
Hi Jennifer, I am pre-op as well and have been researching Mexican doctors to have the lap RNY since I was declined by my insurance company a year ago, and have been researching all procedures for five years. I have probably read every profile, postings, and continue to ask questions to become as informed and educated about the pre-op procedure, post-op, complications, nutritional information and track records of the doctors and any little question that will help me with my decision making process. I have been talking to Cathy with Dr. Rumbaut's office. My decision for choosing Dr. Rumbaut is because he is a very skilled and professional laproscopic physician with an excellent track record. He works out of the 2nd largest hospital in Mexico, which is important to me in case I have complications. Cathy told me that Dr.R. just found out that he is one of 4 doctors in the world that will be assigned a new laproscopic robot for medical trials. That is impressive! I feel that even if I did have insurance, Dr. Rumbaut would still be on the top of my lists to go to, after all, he has actively trained U.S. doctors on lap procedures. He is also a member of the the ASBS, which is also very important. You only receive this certicafation through prominant American sugeons recommendations. I think it is very important to make sure that who ever you choose in Mexico is a member of the ASBS. You can go to their website to check on their members. I talked to Cathy today and we are working on a surgery date in September! He charges $14,600.00 for the lap RNY. Other costs are 7 nights at $78.00 a night at the Hampton Inn Galleria, and airfare. This will still be half the price that I would have to pay in the U.S.! I hope this was helpful, but ultimately you will have to decide what is best for you. Best of luck. Ally
Jenny C.
on 8/10/05 6:33 am - Ridgecrest, CA
Ally, You are absolutely amazing, this is information that I wanted to hear. Even though I knew his credentials I didn't know some of the other things. You sound very well informed and very excited about the choice that you have made. You have helped in the steps to make my final decision and I thank you. I will be listening to others information and be able to give my opinions also. Thank you very much and good luck on your journey. Keep us posted. Jennifer
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views