News station investigative report/Mexican Lap-band Surgery

drhedg01
on 8/6/05 2:54 pm - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
Hmmm. You're not going to Bajanor are you? I don't think this surgery is the place where you want to find THE cheapest place. Who is doing your surgery?
honestkate
on 8/6/05 4:52 pm - Phoenix, AZ
No, I'm going to Tijuana to Dr. Ortiz. He doesn't run a chop shop. But there are lots that do
meliwriter
on 8/7/05 7:05 am - Powell, OH
Honestly, when I first started thinking about surgery in Mexico this was what I was envisioning. I took a lot of time researching, to make sure that if I did have surgery the doctor I chose was honest and safe. But I found this news piece offensive, because it doesn't address the problem. It makes it sound like it's all about being thin...that it's just a bunch of women that are so obsessed with their weight and their looks that they will do anything to have the surgery. It's like calling a supermodel who gets a nose job and a burn victim who gets plastic surgery the same thing. The motives are different. Same thing for an actress who gets a boob job and a survivor of breast cancer. People assume that it is vainity on my part and I simply retort that it is ignorance on theirs. The real problem isn't that people are so desperate to get the surgery done that they will go outside of the country but that the healthcare system is so screwed up that it is virtually possible for the people who need this surgery to get approved. Plus I hate news investigative pieces. I worked at a local news station once and it was disturbing the way they try to hype everything up so that they can get more viewers. The sad thing is that people see something on tv and they cling to it like gospel instead of making up their own minds. But I guess that's why I am not in journalism anymore.
honestkate
on 8/7/05 7:41 am - Phoenix, AZ
I agree with the last poster. I thought this video would be valuable to anyone who was curious what to expect in Mexico. I was picturing shanty-town myself. I was glad to hear the reporter say there are good surgeons as well as bad. It helped take off some of the smoke screen of Mexican surgery for me.
H. MC
on 8/11/05 1:01 am - Arlington, VA
Ok jus****ched the video. I am so glad 3 years ago I decided to stop watching the news. There is this arogance that the only place to get anything of quality is in America. When the real truth is the powers that be hate that we simple folk desire to save money and not get priced gauged in this country. I live in Nothern VA the Lap-band surgery in this area is around 24,000 HOw come no one does a story about how we are being over priced and forced to go else where for the surgery. Most of the surgeons in Mexico get there bands from US manufacturers. It's alright for them to make money selling the band to mexico but we shouldn't reap the benefits of saving money. I don't think it's wise to go with the cheapest place and if you get all the way down there and things seem alittle not right its ok to retreat. But they never brother to even come on this website and research the legitmate doctors or to even read what people have to say about there success stories. Their story never mentioned the many millions of successful Lap band surgeries performed in Mexico. Nor did they bother to tell you that people have died from WLS complications right here in the good ole USof A Use this story as a pre-caution but don't let it scare you off. Remember how they shut down people's right to purchase cheaper prescritions in canada even though american manufactures are making a profit selling the drugs at a discount to canadians. The only thing I got out of that story was not to got to the cheap guys. or that particular hospital that was mentioned. Ok sorry I went off on a tangent but I thank God I have the option to go elsewhere. I am consider Morbidly Obese but because I don't a co-morbidity diease my insurance company will not approve me. it's as if they are saying oh yeah you are good and fat but you are not fat enough for us to care whether you live or die. by the way your monthly premiums are due on the 15th call us if you need anything. and now I step off my soap box
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views