Update.... i'm banded... but not home yet!

Jennnifer
on 7/31/05 7:36 am - Southgate, MI
Well I was just dropped off by Ernesto and his wife at the Sheraton in San Diego. Good god i'm so glad to have a comfortable bed to sleep in. This whole experience has been crazy to me! First I have to say that Dr. Aceves is a great doctor, and so is his team. Almater Hospital is really nice too. I'm glad I made the choice I did. I was picked up on Thursday morning by Ernesto, and as stated in my previous post, Maria happened to be there by chance. It made the ride down there much nicer. The scenery was beautiful! They took us in and decided that they were going to do my testing that night and surgery the following morning. They did an x-ray, ekg, and some blood tests. That night we stayed at the Siesta Inn motel which to say the least, was very uncomfortable. The bed was hard as a rock!!! It was so hot outside as well, about 112 degree's, so we couldn't walk anywhere. We did end up eating at the motel restaurant, called "Chalet". I had an authentic mexican mea, fajitas, while my husband decided that his only authentic meal was going to be lasagna in Mexico.... wonderful! It was good though, for both of us. The following morning Ernesto picked us up and took us to the hospital bright and early. Yolanda came in and we signed papers and she took my check. They then put my IV in. The next thing I know I'm telling the surgeon "I think i'm going bye bye". The nurses were just weird to me. I don't speak much spanish, just a few words. I had this really awesome male nurse who spoke good english but he wasn't there all the time. I wish he was though. He got me through it. I woke up telling myself I had made the worst mistake of my life, and I have a few moments even today where I ask myself why I did this. Yesterday we did the barium swallow, which was kind of cool because it was a live x-ray where they let my husband come in and watch me swallow the nasty stuff. Almater hospital also has the best broth in the world. I hope I can make good broth like theirs. Time dragged on so slow while I was in Mexico. I have to say I felt very uncomfortable about being there, I just can't explain why. But I'm back in America, and i'm ready to go home tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to weigh myself yet, but almost 3 days with no food i'm sure to have lost something. I'll try to hold up until i'm a week post op. Thanks for everyone's support!! Jennifer
vickig
on 7/31/05 7:43 am - CRAWFORD, GA
congradulations! i'm glad you're back home safe and sound! best of luck!
Lorraine Wentz
on 7/31/05 8:46 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Jennifer, I'm glad you are home safe and sound in the States, and I'm glad that everything went without a hitch. I'm curious to know more about your feeling of discomfort about being there though. Maybe if you have some time to think about it, you can try and elborate on it in your profile. It's something that I think might benefit people in the future. Again, I'm so glad that you are doing well and that you're on the mend. Take it easy and keep us posted on how you're doing. Big hug! Cheers! Lorraine
Dinka Doo
on 7/31/05 9:28 pm - Medford, OR
Jennifer - Congratulations on your new band and new way of life! It may take some time for you to absorb your experience and figure out your perspective. I think I was fortunate to have had to wait 4 months for my surgery date because I was able to really absorb what was going on and argue with myself over it for quite awhile. As for losing, DON'T be disappointed if you actually show a little gain. I'm not sure about the band, but many if not most of us end up higher after getting out of the hospital because of the IV fluids they pump in you. All that saline helps you retain tha****er! The good news is it comes off fairly quickly.... Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views