WLS as a medical tax deduction - What about WLS done in Mexico?

Darice N.
on 7/30/05 11:16 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with
Does anyone know if WLS done in Mexico is tax deductible? I know weight loss programs are now considered O.K as a medical expense deduction but I wasn't sure if something done out of the US is acceptable.
GW
on 7/30/05 11:49 am - Weatherford, TX
I was told by our CPA that it was covered so long as we had receipts. I haven't filed yet, but I have my receipts and I will sure try! I was told even the airline tickets, accomodations, food, anything you had to have while out of the country you could count! Genie
gogeko
on 7/30/05 10:55 pm - Palmer, AK
THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION. BUT TO ADD FUTHER TO IT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT % OF MED. BILLS ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE? I WISH I SAVED OUR RECEITS FOR MEALS AND FOOD. I DIDNT KNOW THEY WERE TAX DEDUCTABLE. I DID REQUEST ROSELLA TO SEND ME A LETTER STATING I HAD SURGERY THERE. SHE MAILED ME A RECEIT WITH MY HOSPITAL, APPARTMENT AND TRAVEL EXPENSES. CINDY, LOST 47 POUNDS IN 9 WEEKS
Darice N.
on 7/31/05 6:58 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with
Cindy, You can deduct anything that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. I'm quoting this directly from IRS form 1040 instruction booklet. Darice
Dinka Doo
on 7/31/05 9:32 pm - Medford, OR
Yup - we deducted every little last thing to do with the surgery and travel expenses for myself and my friend to go help. At least I believe we were able to deduct her also. Regardless, I essentially paid a miniscule amount of taxes for 2004 because we got almost all of it back that we had paid in. THAT was very cool! Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views