I'm jumping out of my skin!

Ally
on 7/28/05 12:29 am - Abilene, KS
After years of waiting for this, it's finally coming together! I spoke with Cathy from Dr. Rumbaut's office and we are working on a date for surgery. Dr. Rumbaut is going to call me to answer a few more questions that I have. I think the lap RNY will be my best solution, but I want to talk to him about the lap band as well. I want to make sure that I feel 150% comfortable with all of my decisions. I don't think the lap band will work for me as well as the RNY, but I want to hear what he has to say. I have a sugar problem, and knowing that, I don't think the lap band will work as well for me. Cathy told me yesterday that Dr. Rumbaut is one of three lap surgeons in the world that will be receiving the new laparoscopic robot. It is huge that he was chosen to be one of the Dr's to recieve this. He is very excited and should be. I want to thank everyone here at South of the Border! I think I have read every testimonial on this site and others! You have been so helpful with your honesty and personal experiences and because of that, it has been a tremendous help to me as I make my journey to go to Mexico. There will be a lot more questions that I will have before and after surgery, and it's so nice to know that I can find honest, straight answers here. This is a great support group. I hope that I can be as helpful to others as you have been for me. Thank you all! Please email me if you have any questions with my selection in choosing Dr. Rumbaut as my surgeon.
psgraham29
on 7/28/05 2:02 am - Seattle, WA
Congratulations Ally. It is exciting. Dr. Rumbaut is an excellent surgeon and his team is really great. Keep us updated on how you are doing. -Pam
Ally
on 7/28/05 2:17 am - Abilene, KS
Thanks Pam, You have been very helpful to me! I have people tell me to go with the band first and if that doesn't work for me to have the RNY. I am leaning towards the RNY because I need as many restrictions as I can get because I know I could learn to work around the band, and that would defeat using that tool. I know that sugar is a problem with me in that I like it! If I have the RNY and try to consume sugar, then I will have a terrible dumping experience and learn quickly that I can't tollerate that. However, there are those that can eat sugar with the RNY and not dump too. It's a huge decision and a difficult one for me to make. Ally
bonnied
on 7/28/05 2:58 am - St. Albans, VT
Congratulations! Dr. Rumbaut is an excellent choice! Personally, I chose the RNY for 3 reasons. 1. I know myself, I know how easily I would eat around the band. 2. Fills up here in New England are non-existant, I'd have to travel quite a bit 3. I have diabetes. RNY changes the blood sugars instantly, with a band the diabetes gets better as you lose weight. Even though both Cathy and Dr. R tried to get me interested in the band, I looked the other way. If I was going to do this, I was going to go as drastic as I could for the biggest change. I'm glad I did, because when I was in Mexico, I met 4 people who had bands and were there for RNY because they did not lose enough or their band had eroded. I really did not want to go through or pay for this WLS twice! I wish you all the luck in the world, I know how hard the decision is. Do what's best for you and your cir****tances! Bonnie
Ally
on 7/28/05 3:13 am - Abilene, KS
Thank you Bonnie! I would hate it if I had the band put in and was unsuccessful with the procedure and had to go back for the RNY. I have a brother that is two years older than me, 53, that suffered a massive stroke last November and will never be able to live without assistance and is currently in a nursing home. He was obese and this has been such a wake up call for me. The clock is ticking and is only a matter of time that I could have serious problems if I don't do something immediately. I feel that the RNY is going to by my best option. I am caring for my brother and my mother and father now, and I have to get my health back so I can be there for them as well. I won't be any good to them if I don't help myself first! Thanks again, Ally
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views