Bad news... depressed...nervous!

Dinka Doo
on 7/25/05 12:10 am - Medford, OR
Jennifer - Couple of things: 1) If you want it to work and you are seriously compliant, I'm sure the band will work for you. 2) If you are concerned that your compliance might be an issue down the road or that it won't be right for you, you need to step back and ask yourself if you are willing to put your gut instinct on the backburner because your doc is saying so. Here are my thoughts: It is not his money. He has nothing to lose but to advise you to do what he feels is the least drastic thing. You know yourself better than anyone, so you have to do what is right for you - with or without your doctor's blessing. If in your heart you know RNY is better for you, you need to consider that and not just shove it aside because of your doctor's opinions. My doctor refused to see me for aftercare if I went to Mexico. I had to find another doc. I wasn't happy about it, but I did it and losing him as my doc is sad, but ultimately I am happy because I know I did what was right for me. You are young and you do have multiple advantages if you do have the lap band. One is that you may lose quicker and you may be able to pull yourself more into compliance than some folks who are older. Habits get more ingrained the older you are. If you can toe the line and not try to eat around your band, you have a great chance and being successful. I am definitely not trying to steer you away from a lap band. I am just trying to make sure that you are doing what you feel is right for you. Only you can answer that. And sometimes doctors are wrong in what they feel is right for us. Many times they are right, but I have had them be wrong on many occasions...one time almost costing my life and the life of my unborn son. So realize that sometimes doctors are guessing too and forming their advice on their feelings and opinions. That's not bad...but it leaves room for your feelings and opinions as well. Good luck! Dina
DONNA RELLA
on 7/25/05 2:44 am - Uvalde, TX
Very well put...Dina. I did like the idea of the band, until i went to a seminar. It is a great tool, BUT if you dont have insurance, or if you lose your insurance, it can be very expensive... like 200. a month. I have a friend who has the band and she can take liquid out and eat what she wants and gain weight and then the next month go get a fill, and start all over. I did not like that because it seemed like yo yo dieting and i have been doing that for years... i wanted something more. Just my thoughts on the subject. I will be praying for you either way. PS my doc was against me doing r n y at first... then when i told him I was doing it anyway, he jumped on board and has been wonderful.
DW
on 7/25/05 3:39 am - Galveston, TX
Hi Jennifer, Good Luck on your decision, but I can't help but ask "Did he tell you where you can get your fills?" Keep us posted Dot
Flor_Bellas
on 7/25/05 3:42 am - Miami, FL
Yes, Dr. Aceve will provide a list of local doctors that can do the fills or he will do them himself free for life. Without the cost of x-ray of course. I figure, I can get a vacation and a refill in one shot. Maria
DW
on 7/25/05 4:44 am - Galveston, TX
Jennifer, I would make sure that I had a doctor (in your area) willing to do the fills, before you have the surgery, you might want to schedule an appointment and discuss this with them. I don't really know but from what I have read, getting your fills done is a life long commitment. Dot
Jennnifer
on 7/25/05 6:06 am - Southgate, MI
Hi, Yes I have a doctor lined up to do fills. He does them for $250 for the inital consult/fill and $150 for every other one. He's only about 20 miles away. It is very reasonable. I think that for some people it isn't a good choice, but i'm confident that I can do this. If it doesn't work out, I have an option later on. I'm willing to try anything. Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm confident i'm making the right choice, I just was influenced by my doctor. I think it is going to be just fine. I am nervous, and excited at the same time. Jennifer
Jennnifer
on 7/25/05 6:10 am - Southgate, MI
Just wanted to make mention that the doctor near me specifically said that he excepts patients from Mexico. His name is Dr. Pleatman: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=104&highlight=michigan+fills
DW
on 7/25/05 8:57 am - Galveston, TX
Great Jennifer, Sounds like you have it all under control "go for it" Dot
kly
on 7/25/05 7:28 am - Athens, GA
Jennifer, You will be fine. Dr. Aceves did my Lap RNY in December 05'. He is wonderful no matter which surgery you decide. Their is nothing wrong with either one realistically like everyone has said. just be sure you are ready to make the changes necessary after the surgery. The food changes and exercise changes etc. are the key to any weightloss surgery. Follow your pouch rules and you will do fine. Dr. Aceeves will give you a sheet to follow when you go over to the hotel just Do IT to the letter especially while your pouch heals. The first few months are crucial. I have not had ANY complications at all. Dr. Aceeves online support group is GREAT and their are several individuals who have had lap band with him. Best Wishes, Karen L. 314/234
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views