Bad news... depressed...nervous!

Jennnifer
on 7/24/05 12:53 pm - Southgate, MI
Ok well, it's not altogether bad news, but it could be better. My doctor does not support me getting RNY. I spoke with his nurse practitioner yesterday who was all gung ho for it. However, he told me that he would only support me doing the lap-band first, and if that failed that down the road he would advise me get the RNY. He told me I have a young family, and only recommends RNY after a failed lapband... which he said is a rareity. I love my doctor to death, and am not about to change doctor's because of his decision. I think it's best for me to follow his advice. So, i'm getting the lap-band now. I've called Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, and they've scheduled me for this Thursday.... yes this week! I want the same results as gastric bypass, and i'm really scared that for some reason it's not going to happen with the band. It seems like all the boards i've studied today, the weight loss is not that great. People were going nuts about losing 40lbs in 6 months. To me, I would want more. Someone please tell me that it is possible to lose more weight? I'm most scared about wasting my money, but I really want to have it done, at least something done. Of course, there is always a risk of slippage too... that would be wonderful to have it done and a month later have it slip and have to pay another $8200 to have it fixed. Can someone help calm my nerves? I want to go into this as positive as I can. I'm kinda depressed about the fact that I won't get to meet the infamous Dr. Aguirre and Rosella.. I was looking forward to meeting them. Thanks! Jennifer
Flor_Bellas
on 7/24/05 2:00 pm - Miami, FL
Hi Jennifer, I'll get to meet you because I'm having mine done on Thursday the 28th as well. I have heard great things about Dr. Aceve. From the beginning I always wanted to have lapband done because I've heard horror stories about the RNY. Granted the weight loss is slower, but studies show that at the 18 month and 24 month mark the weight loss is equal to RNY. This is great news because think of how much money you will save with cosmetic surgery. The Lapband gives the skin time to adjust to the smaller body so you won't need extensive cosmetic surgery to get rid of the loose skin. You may need some minor if any cosmetic surgery, but more than likely if you excercise while losing the weight you won't need it. I rather lose the weight slowly and know that my skin won't sag. Cheer up Jennifer, it will work. Go into this with a positive mindset. I'm a firm believer that if something doesn't go the way we planned it is because the man upstairs had a better plan for us all along. See you in Mexicali on Thursday! I'm flying in Wednesday into San Diego and Ernesto will pick me up and take me straight to Mexicali to spend the night at the hotel. Surgery next day. Search on the website and you will hear nothing but rave reviews on Dr. Aceve and Nina. They have helped me all along and I could not ask for anyone better. Hugs, Maria
Jennnifer
on 7/24/05 2:05 pm - Southgate, MI
Thank you for your reply, I have every bit of confidence in Dr. Aceves. I'm actually flying in on Thursday, and having it done Friday, so hopefully we will be able to cross paths at least once!! I'm just so hopeful that the weightloss is ultimately the same, it doesn't matter how long it takes, the slower the better I guess! It's just that my mind has been set on having RNY for so long that all of a sudden getting the lapband done seems like a let down, but i know it can be just as good as RNY. Thanks!! Jennifer
Flor_Bellas
on 7/24/05 2:09 pm - Miami, FL
Yes, we will meet for I am not leaving until Saturday afternoon. We'll probably take a walk down the aisle of the hospital. Race ya!!! I'll be juicing up my IV girl...meet you at the finish line. Vroooooom, Vroooommm Maria
Just Me
on 7/24/05 2:42 pm - Happy Place, TN
Best Wishes to you both.... You'll be in my prayers... If you email me phone numbers, perhaps we can call you while in Mexico. If you can, enjoy a long prior to leaving... I remember I couldn't take a bubble bath for about 3 weeks! EEK/ resorted to showers.
Lorraine Wentz
on 7/24/05 3:20 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
Jennifer, I'm sorry your doctor isn't with you on the RNY. I don't know much about the band as I know it would never work for me due to my weight. But I guess the nice thing is that you won't have as long a recovery. I was just browsing your profile to see what your BMI was, as I know that lower BMIers have better results with the bad. Anyway, I noticed you're only 22? Yay! Another youngin'! I just turned the dreaded 23 on June 13th. Yuck. I miss 19. I could drink up here legally (not that they ever checked anyway) and when I told people I was 19 they were always so shocked. Now they don't say anything as I look my age..... And we're mommies! I love being a young mom. I wanted to be younger when I had my son, but it took us a year and three months to get pregnant. Fun year and three months though! We're both going to loose weight, no matter which method, and we are going to be two sexy fine moms! All the dad's dropping off their kids at school are going to be checkin' us out! Tsssss!!!!!! I'm Maria's Angel, so if you like I can be yours too! I can check on you two at the same time. Just e-mail me all the numbers that I can reach you at while you're there and any from home that you want me to know and I'll take care of you! You and Maria have a blast and for pete's sake, do some shopping! Cheers and Hugs! Lorraine
Flor_Bellas
on 7/24/05 3:41 pm - Miami, FL
Hey Lorraine, love ya! I'm still prepping my IV with nitro to race Jennifer along the hospital coridors. Jennifer, I can vouch for Lorraine, she's an awesome angeland funny too! Maria
Jennnifer
on 7/25/05 1:32 am - Southgate, MI
Thanks everyone, this has made me feel much better about it!!! I'll be prepping myself to win those races!! I'll take an angel of course! I'll get back to you with my info asap... Have a great day!! Jennifer
Jennnifer
on 7/25/05 2:21 am - Southgate, MI
Hey Lorraine, Just wanted to say that actually I am 24!! I'm still a young mom though!! I had my 1st at age 21, and it was that late because it also took me a year to get pregnant with my first. I enjoy being a young mom. I can't wait to be young AND healthy! It sure does make a difference when chasing them around! Yes.... can't wait to be sexy.......!!!!! Jennifer
Lorraine Wentz
on 7/25/05 2:54 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Heck, that's still young! Although, I always seem to be the youngest everywhere I'm at. All my close friends and my sister are all older than me. Even my parents are older than me! I hated it growing up, but now I reli****!! My husband and I are still trying to decide if we want to just adopt a little girl or adopt a little girl and get pregnant as well. I'm kind of affraid to get pregnant again, as I had a bad case of anxiety for six months after my son was born. It didn't impare my parenting, but I felt like I was having a heart attack every day. So that's the cause of the debate. I think if I get pregnant, I'll wait a looooong time, so I can enjoy the weightloss. I'm looking forward to adopting a little girl though! We're planning on adopting from Mexico or South America. We'll be starting the process as soon as I'm done recovering. Can't wait!! Sorry for carrying on...... Cheers! Lorraine
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views