Lap Band vs. lap RNY?

Ally
on 7/13/05 12:44 pm - Abilene, KS
Can you give me some information that would help me make a decision on whether to have the lap band or lap RNY? I am a self pay and am looking into Mexico to have the procedure. I have read where some of you that have had very good results with the lap band. My BMI is 50 and I'm 51 years old. Most of my weight is carried in the stomach Please let me know the positives and negitives about the procedures you have had and what the costs have been, if you don't mind. I'm having a difficult time deciding which to have. I know that the RNY will give me faster results, but I fear complications. I have also been told that the lap band will become the Gold Standard in a few years. Confused! Please help, Ally
Just Me
on 7/15/05 3:46 am - Happy Place, TN
I have heard... from reading on the main message forum... Some US doctors do not like to "fill" South of the Border patients. Now I could have the procedures completely wrong, but I think banded patients are allowed to go in and have it "filled." Whatever that means. So, wherever you are, make sure you have follow up surgeon(s) Doctor(s) who will help you months down the road. I personally think an RNY would be better than a band, because of the historical / statistical evidence of re-gaining weight with bands... Duodenal switch is also good for those with high bmi's But finding a self-pay duodenal switch less than 25,000 is quite rare indeed. RNY has a high success rate. My choice was a doctor who had performed MANY YEARS of open RNY rather than a doctor who had a few years of lap rny. Scar wasn't important to me... the skill of the doctor was what was important.
psgraham29
on 7/15/05 5:53 am - Seattle, WA
One of the reasons I chose a lap RNY is it is easier to "cheat" a lapband. However, it is just a tool... The surgeon I chose has many lapbands and lapRNY's to his name.
kimmygarland
on 7/15/05 6:28 am - G, TX
Go to the Lapband message board and you can get lots of good info! kim Lapband 4/4/05 248/208/160?
cambigue
on 7/15/05 9:43 am - Auburn, GA
RNY on 06/15/05 with
I chose lap RNY because I know myself. I would just figure out how to blow it with the lap band. For me, I think there would be too much room to cheat. And if there is room, I will cheat. It is much harder to cheat with an RNY. I would also find out how many RNY or lap band procedures the surgeon has done. I went with a higher priced doctor because he had twice as many RNY procedures as my second choice. Practice makes perfect, they say...
bonnied
on 7/20/05 3:09 am - St. Albans, VT
Hi! I agree with Bruce! One of the reasons I chose RNY is for success! I know that if you chew very, very well and you have a band, you can get in almost as much as before surgery! I also chose RNY because of it's effects on my diabetes. RNY effects diabetes immediately, with the band, the diabetes gets better as the weight comes off. I'm glad I did chose the RNY. I met 3 people while I was in Mexico that had a band and they were there for RNY because they either were not satisfied with the weight loss or the band eroded! They ended up paying twice! I also do not think that the band will become "the gold standard" of weight loss surgery, for a few different reasons. One, I mentioned above, you can easily eat around it, making it unsuccessful. Two, as a society, we are becoming so obese that a lap band really will not be drastic enough. As another person who carries their weight around their belly, I want you to know how dangerous the apple shape is. We have a significantly higher risk for diabetes and heart disease. The extra abdominal fat really strains our hearts. If you are significantly overweight and/or have other health conditions, you should really think about the RNY, you'll have a much greater chance for success in the long run. I wish you the greatest success in whatever you choose! email me anytime with questions Bonnie RNY 6/3/05 40 pounds gone Diabetes under control!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views