Surgery Cost Survey

Jackie P.
on 7/13/05 8:14 am - College Station, TX
Hello my South of the Border Buddies! I didn't actually have surgery south of the border, but know several who have. As part of a "funding" seminar that will be offered in Austin... I'm gathering information regarding the "cost" of surgery outside of the US. I'm looking for the following information, if you don't mind sharing it: 1. What kind of procedure did you have? 2. Where, specifically did you have it? 3. Do you recommend the surgeon/facility? 4. Approximate total expense (including pre-op stuff, travel, & procedural costs). Thanks a bunch, Jackie in Texas -240 and counting!
jarrn03
on 7/14/05 9:30 am - Lebanon, OR
1. What kind of procedure did you have? Open RNY 2. Where, specifically did you have it? Dr. Aguirre, Ensenada 3. Do you recommend the surgeon/facility? 1000x over 4. Approximate total expense (including pre-op stuff, travel, & procedural costs). In March of 04 Surgery Cost $8400. Hotel was $900. Airfare $340. I really didn't spend anything on food, since I wasn't eating much. I spent $100 out shopping. That's all I can think of. Hope that helps! Julie Ryan 255/155/149
Jasna2
on 7/14/05 2:03 pm - Eau Claire, WI
1. What kind of procedure did you have? RYN 2. Where, specifically did you have it? I too had surgery in Ensenada with Dr Aguirre. 3. Do you recommend the surgeon/facility? I had no complications so it went fine. Unlike others I wasn't impressed with the hosptal care. The second day it seemed that there was never anyone around. 4. Approximate total expense (including pre-op stuff, travel, & procedural costs). I went with my mother and son but I will just have my costs: plane ticket to LA - we stayed with my aunt, $200 train to San Diego and back $58. The bus to Ensenada from Tijuana and back $18. 3 taxi rides $15.00. Food in Mexico and California $30. Surgery 8,400. We were only in Mexico 3 days. There were no hotel fees as we stayed with my aunt and only ate out once. There were no pre-op procedures. Anyone high risk - might want to think twice. No follow up. I haven took out my own stapels and g-tub (because I didn't want to stay in Mexico those extra day and then I didn't want to travel back down).
CALIGIRL T.
on 7/17/05 6:04 pm - TX
hi jackie we went to Nuevo Laredo, no probs getting there despite all the horror stories, have went multiple times always smooth. this last time went for my daughters banding. I would recommend the surg and the facility. It is not fancy but very clean and the staff is very nice. Total cost $7000, excluding travel, but i live just 3 hours from the border so it only takes less than 100 dollars for the trip and food. Also I had a tummy tuck there for 3000, there are different docs of course for the different procedures.
CALIGIRL T.
on 7/17/05 6:19 pm - TX
Sorry, I will post like the others procedure: lap band where: Nuevo Laredo Recommend: yes yes yes, its not the hilton, but its way better than a motel 6 cost: $7000 hospital, doc, anesthesia, band, everything was included except my travel and that cost me less than 100 dollars for gas and food from my town 3 hours away. The only other costs where the meds which is antibiotics and pain meds if needed and that cost about 30 dollars. Your guests stays in the private room WITH YOU in their own bed and the hospital even feeds them good food, not hospital food. STay was only 1 day
bonnied
on 7/20/05 3:33 am - St. Albans, VT
1. Laprascopic RNY by Dr. Rumbaut 2.San hose Hospital, Monterrey, Mexico 3. Yes, yes, yes 4. With travel and hotel $16500 ( surgery was $14000)
Ally
on 7/20/05 6:25 am - Abilene, KS
Thank you Bonnie. Dr. Rumbaut keeps coming to the top of the list. He charges 1K more than Dr. Leal, but I have not heard anyone on here talk about him much. Money is not as important to me as safety, but I can't afford what they are charging here in the U.S. I could have it done as an open RNY 20 miles from where I live, but they want 27K barring no complications. I would assume that Dr. Rumbaut has a very good reputation and limited complications. I'm scared to death to have the procedure, but I'm really excited to have a new life. Thanks Ally
CALIGIRL T.
on 7/29/05 7:59 am - TX
Hi Debbie, The doc was Javier De la Garza from Monteray, but having it done in Nuevo Laredo was alot cheaper. Very happy!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views