OK! QUESTIONS!

Lorraine Wentz
on 7/11/05 4:57 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
Ok! Got a couple questions!! 1. I know with open RNY there is a risk of getting a hernia. Are there any ways to minimize the risk of getting one? 2. Does Dr. A actually weigh you before surgery? Or does he just measure you and rely on you to give him your current weight? 3. Does Dr. A perscribe any general antibiotics for after surgery? 4. The perscription that Dr. A perscribes for pain management, what is it equivelant to it up here? Tylenol 3? Something stronger? Cheers! Lorraine
Lorraine Wentz
on 7/11/05 5:08 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
In addition to question 1. I know the obvious ways to minimize the risk of a hernia is not to do a lot of straining, but are there any other things? Like wearing the binder longer than said to....... things like that...... If and I'm sure, when, constipation should occure, what are some thoughts on suppositories? I remember reading a post a while back about constipation, and suppositories weren't listed as an option......... Cheers! Lorraine P.S. Sorry for my terrible spelling lately!!
Boomma
on 7/12/05 10:45 am - Osceola, WI
My opinion....suppositories are a great option! As for a hernia, I know it is important to not lift anything over 10 pounds for about 6 weeks...
sue_f
on 7/12/05 5:47 am - Portland, OR
1. I think the best way to avoid a hernia is to wear the binder exactly as you are advised, and avoid heavy lifting for as long as advised (was it 6 mos?) 2. Yes, he will weight you, on an old fashioned scale that measures in grams. I never did know what it said--he did not tell me. But I think someone said that it does not weigh over 300 lbs. 3. You will get IV antibiotics while you are in the hospital. Other than that, no. I had no infection problems whatsoever. 4. There is no prescription for pain management. The most pain will be in the hospital, and they will give you IV drugs as requested. After that, there is a drug you can buy over the counter that is sublingual. I got one package (6 pills, as I recall for about $15) and they helped a little. But there really is not that much real "pain" after you leave the hospital. There are times of "discomfort" but that is situational--like getting up or rolling over. It goes away when you stop the offending behavior. You really won't need pain medication after you leave the hospital. Sue F.
Lorraine Wentz
on 7/12/05 7:28 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Thank you Sue! How pointless is that?! Having a scale that can't even measure most of your patients!! Duh! So no weightlifting for six months..... ok, I have another question. After healing is done, and I'm ready to play team sports again, is it safe to play sports where being on your stomach is part of the game? i.e. softball (sliding into base,) volleyball (diving for a ball) etc...... I can't wait! I'm also looking forward to taking up golf! My dad is a golfer and I want to be able to go out and play a round with him whenever I'm down in AZ visiting. Oh! And swimming! I love swimming! I can't wait till I feel comfortable in a bathing suit again! Cheers! Lorraine
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views