Plateau already? Your thoughts please...

bonnied
on 7/11/05 4:40 pm - St. Albans, VT
Hi All! I had lap RNY on June 3, 2005. Until this last week I was pretty much losing at least one pound per day (total of 35 lost). Now, nothing for several days. I am hardly eating a thing, sometimes only 2 string cheese per day, I am trying to get the protein requirements in (my doc says 60 grams) but it is sooooo hard. I am absolutely not hungry and have to force myself to eat. Otherwise, I sip on SF kool aid and crystal light all day long. I keep trying the protein drinks and powders, but they are so gross! Obviously this seems to be my problem. For exercise, I walk or ride my bike for 20 minutes 4-5 times per week which is a hell of a lot more than the 0 exercise I did prior to surgery. But will I continue to lose weight, or will it completely stop? I'm hoping that as I get farther out from surgery, I'll be able to get more in. But right now I'm exhausted and a bit scared. Some people have no problems getting in their protein right after surgery, not me though! On the upside, I saw some old friends I haven't seen since last year. They hardly recognized me! My friends say the change already is pretty dramatic! My clothes that I couldn't wear prior to surgery are literally falling off already! My work scrubs that were a tight 2x can't be worn, the xl's are baggy, almost ready for a size large! Thank you for supporting me! Bonnie lap rny 6/3/05 264/229/?
tamara_b73
on 7/12/05 1:32 am - wisconsin dells, wi
Hey Bonnie! I think a stall at around 6 weeks out is pretty common. It isn't actually a plateau until you go 4 weeks with no weight lost OR inches lost. One thing though is that you may need to eat more. Often when we stall it is because our bodies feel that we are starving and adding more good food to the mix is the answer. I know it is hard on days when you are just not hungry but that may be the key for you. Try to eat something good every 3 to 4 hours to keep your metabolism going. Even if it is only a piece of string cheese or a couple of bites of cottage cheese or a slice of deli ham. Something to boost your metabolism a bit. Good luck! Tamara 321/238/?
chunkable
on 7/12/05 2:29 am - federal way, wa
Bonnie I don't think your eating enough. Try adding in a little bit more to your diet I bet you will start losing again. Sometimes when you don't eat enough your body will hold onto it. Remember your body is adjusting to this new surgery but you also still have to feed it for it to work correctly. Good luck hon Cindy
Just Me
on 7/12/05 6:25 pm - Happy Place, TN
Hi... Have heard this many times... especially at about 3-4 weeks out post-op. Myself? I came home 10 full days after surgery and found I had lost only 4 pounds. I was sooooo angry. All that pain for 4 little pounds? Heck I had lost more than four pounds in 10 days on any ole regular diet pre-op. I kicked myself into a gym and have been workingout daily. My weight moved at first, but not as fast as I had anticipated. My weight hasn't changed for one week this week. I'll be concerned July 15th. I'll give it a few more days. But to answer your question, it is pretty familiar to hit a stall. (not sure how long they last) I simply tell myself that it is way way too early to believe I will never lose any more weight. I go to the http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/postopplanner.phtml site and plug in my original weight and observe my progress compared with the chart. Best Wishes to you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views