Speaking spanish??

Ferchie
on 7/11/05 11:22 am - Twin Falls, ID
When in Ensenada, do I need to know alot of spanish? I know a little, and I think I will be ok just learning a few more things, but my partner on the other hand knows no spanish at all and is very nervous about it.
Just Me
on 7/11/05 12:31 pm - Happy Place, TN
I took my laptop and had it translate for me. They will probably find it VERY useful. It was beneficial, as I went alone. I used it frequently in the hospital. However, I did not use it as much as I thought I would. I would have preferred to have had a small personal fan with me in the hospital. (Small enough to sit on a desktop, but large enough to send a fair amount of air my way.) Suggest you write down a few phrases you might want say or convey. (Have those translated into Spanish ready for when you are too tired to speak.) While in the hospital, I consider it important and refreshing to speak in Spanish. Nurses in the day seem pretty much equipped to distinguish the need for more pain medicine and the need to go to the restroom. Unfortunately, it is unexpected phrases and words you need. I used mine when my catheter became accidentally "unhinged" from my back after surgery. I wondered why the pain medicine suddenly wasn't working! (So, be careful when itching and moving after you wake up from surgery!)
Lorraine Wentz
on 7/11/05 12:47 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
Jeremy, I've heard that the nurses at the hospital don't speak english that well, so it might help to know a few words and phrases. Or at least have them written down so you can point to them. As for the rest of your trip, shopping and such, from my experience, spanish is not needed. The shop owners and restraunt waiters know english as Ensenada is a tourist town and they pretty much need to know it if they want to stay in business! Cheers! Lorraine P.S. As I have been sharply told in the past, do not rely on the website translaters. They're not always right. Maybe invest in a pocket size english-spanish dictionary.
bonnied
on 7/11/05 4:03 pm - St. Albans, VT
You should definately translate a few phrases and have them at hand. Check with your doc to see if they provide a list for you, mine did. Have your list include not only pain, etc, but my IV hurts, can I have another pillow/blanket, my bladder is full and I cannot urinate, can I have some ice chips please, I feel hot/cold, and any other comfort needs you may have. My personal favorite is " Margarita por favor!" Good luck Bonnie
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views