Wow what a long strange trip it's been!!!

richardwidman
on 7/8/05 4:21 am - Las Vegas, NV
Hey there everyone, sorry I haven't written sooner but I have been in the hospital for the last 5 weeks with a massive bi-lateral hernia and the MRSA infection. It has been crazy and difficult. I wouldn't however change a thing. I am about 10 weeks post op and have lost 87 lbs. I am off all my blood pressure and heart medications, and am feeling better than I have in years. Thanks for everyones support and love to all. Richard
lakerskobeb
on 7/8/05 6:57 am - Canton, OH
Richard, I am sorry to hear how much trouble you had. I remembered you in prayer because you had your surgery done on my birthday so I hoped that you would recover well. Exactly what is a MRSA infection and what caused the massive bi-lateral hernia? Congrats on the weight-loss and I hope your road to recovery goes a lot smoother! Best Wishes Ronda in Ohio
Boomma
on 7/8/05 12:00 pm - Osceola, WI
Richard....prayers for recovery very soon! I am glad you wouldn't change a thing.....that is a wonderful testament for all of us. I don't know what a MRSA infection is...is that why you were hospitalized for so long? Do you know what caused the large hernia? (((((hugs))))
vickig
on 7/9/05 1:36 pm - CRAWFORD, GA
I'M GLAD YOU ARE IN GOOD SPIRITS! I'M ALSO GLAD TO HEAR YOU WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING.I HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO GET BETTER. VICKI
bonnied
on 7/11/05 4:24 pm - St. Albans, VT
I would like to voice my opinion now! I see a few asked what MRSA is: MRSA (methicillin resistant staph aureus) is a hospital acuired drug resistant germ. It is a superbug. The majority of people who get it are surgical patients who acquire it through something dirty, like a surgical instrument, equipment or unwashed hands. It can be found in some patients airways and spread that way, but you wouldn't get it from someone's airway into your wound unless they coughed and spit directly into it. The treatment for MRSA wound infection is long term antibiotic therapy with Vancomycin, given for several weeks by IV then in the pill form for several more weeks. Richard, I am very sorry for your complications and am glad that you are doing well! Not everyone can have a smooth road on this journey, but I'm glad you are better now. I wish you the best of luck! Michael, I, too chose lap RNY because I did not want the pain or have to deal with a hernia down the road either, since so many open rny's seem to get them. Don't stop posting just because someone disagreed! I value your input even though I do not always agree! But I will never "go off" on you! It does seem as though this board is a bit skewed towards another surgeon, so what? Those of us who've had Lap RNY know how much better off we are! Bonnie
vickig
on 7/12/05 12:44 am - CRAWFORD, GA
thank you for info about mrsa.as for the other info....amen thanks for making peace. we all get defensive sometimes (it keeps the board postings interesting.)BEST WISHES TO ALL.P.S. I HAVE NO DOUBT THIS WHOLE CONVERSATION WILL BE ERASED IN A COUPLE OF DAYS FOR FLAMEING(IN OUR BEST INTREST OF COURSE)but it's good to see happy mediums being met on both sides.we should all be comfortable with our decisions. thats what counts."no regrets essay"
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views