Dr. Aguirre's $$$

Jennnifer
on 7/6/05 9:58 am - Southgate, MI
I have a hypothetical question to ask. So I know the surgery is from $9400.00. Let's say that's all I have. What happens if there is a complication, and more services are required?? Do they demand payment right then and there, or work something out? I'm just wondering because people like me, we have a very limited amount of money, and i'm scared something might go wrong, and wonder if I'd be held hostage until payment was received. Does anyone here know how this works?
Just Me
on 7/6/05 12:13 pm - Happy Place, TN
He explained to me, that if the error was "because of his hand"... in otherwords, the complication was a result of something he did wrong, there would be no charges whatsoever. I took along my credit card just in case. I really can't believe that services would be refused. Payment plans would surely be made or prepared for you. Besides, the word "complication" is kind of vague once you think about it for a long time. Complications might include a leak, stitches opening, or reaction to anesthesia... all of these are a pretty much noticed in the first few days while you are still in the hospital. So, costs would surely be covered. This would be another reason to stay through the entire 9 days after surgery and have the stitches removed by Dr. Aguirre's staff. You really are PHYSICALLY LOOKED IN ON rather than like in the states... In the states you are sent home sometimes the very day after surgery. I think Rosella came to visit me every day with the exception of one... and she was out of town at a wedding that day and told me in advance. There were telephone for immediate contact, if I ever needed it. (PS: I was "stuck" many times while receiving an IV... my hand was filled with fluid and feared infection. Dr. Aguirre came to visit me personally after I left the hospital. I didn't ask for him, but he came. It made me feel content. The staff at cardio med are just as informed and apt as any moderate hospital in the states. Dr. Aguirre is a consciencious and skilled surgeon (better than my local ones) in my opinion. My opinion is based on what happened to me and my body, and the reports I read from others.) There is no "drinking chalk" or x-ray to verify no leaks... Dr. Aguirre keeps you in the hospital and keeps up with you after you go to the apartment or hotel. Your reaction will let him know if there is a leak. Besides, he stitches you pretty well, and I think by hand anyway. Stitching by hand has a higher successrate than staples alone... (Now I am sure about al of this, so take it with a grain of salt.) Ask him specifically, or Rosella... she will answer your specific questions. I'm just chatting now, but seriously think Cardio Med would create a plan. There are just too many of us heading down to Mexico now, and most with a set amount of money. This choice is not for everyone, and certainly not for anyone who is "high maintenance." Those of us who choose mexico tend to be a creative group, self reliant, and courageous.
martyp
on 7/7/05 12:20 am - springfield, VA
jennifer...i can only relate my experience. i too got the talk from dr. a that he covered any complications that arose from his work (i.e. leaks). i was made to understand that other complications were my responsibility and payment was expected at the time of service. fortunately, i took a credit card that could handle an addtional $2,000.00+ in "complications" charges. having said that, i feel certain that payment arrangements can be made but i would want to know before i left for mexico. you are a lot smarter than i was. the idea that there might be extra charges as a result of complications never occured to me until dr. a. brought it up in his study the night before my surgery. given my physical condition at the time, it should have been. i would also point out that the additional money i paid was a fraction of what the hospitals here would have charged and the care was excellent. good luck.
Just Me
on 7/7/05 2:16 am - Happy Place, TN
Dear Marty, Am I understanding you correctly? You paid additional money? If you feel like it, could you post or email me privately if you had any complications and what they were... thanks. Much appreciated (Had surgery myself with Dr. A. - no complications)
Just Me
on 7/7/05 2:52 am - Happy Place, TN
PS: I read your Journey, I was just wanting to know if there was something else not written. Best Wishes!
Jennnifer
on 7/7/05 7:35 am - Southgate, MI
Thank you for your responses. It's just scary to think about what would happen in a foreign country. I get thoughts all the time! Some such thoughts include refusing services, not letting you leave, or even calling their corrupt police if you don't have the money. I will make sure to bring a few extra thousand just in case, but of course i'd rather spend that money on new clothes!!
Ferchie
on 7/7/05 12:19 pm - Twin Falls, ID
I was given an exact amount to pay before hand, I was told 9.4k to start but then Rosella had me answer a few questions and then I was given an exact amount. to be paid in 2 cashiers checks. I am assuming that is all that they need, but I am still going to have more available if necessary, and if they don't need it i'm going shopping.....
Lorraine Wentz
on 7/7/05 1:59 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
It's best you bring lots of extra cash, just in case you run out when you go shopping!! I've been to Mexico and trust me the shopping is unbelievable! I only wish I had more hands for carrying and more space in my luggage! Be sure to barter! Don't be affraid that you'll ask too little! You'll eventually reach a middle ground. They're god at persuading you, but if you think it's too much, then walk away. Trust me, they'll come after you. I had a guy running down the street five minutes later agreeing to the price I offered. The only people you don't barter with are the little old ladies on the corners and the little children. They're so cute you'll want to buy eveything they have!! But on a serious note, I think it's best that you have an extra source, just in case. I for one, am bringing my dad along for that exact reason. Just kidding. I'm blessed to have a dad that just made a crap load of money on the sale of his house, so I've got "mi Papi" to back me up if things go wrong. I'll do the honor of writing to Rosella and asking this particular question, if no one else has already....... Cheers! Lorraine
Jennnifer
on 7/7/05 2:33 pm - Southgate, MI
Thanks Lorraine for the most important shopping advice!!! I can't wait to do a little shopping for smaller clothes! You are a very lucky person that has a father with extra money... I wish I could get some from my dad! Good luck on your journey!!!!!! Jennifer
Lorraine Wentz
on 7/7/05 4:59 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
Well, I'm not that lucky, I still have to pay him back. I guess the only good thing about it is it's interest free and there's no marks on my credit!! Unfortunately, my father only came into this money when he and his wife decided to part ways. So I guess it's bitter sweet. I'll be putting my son in daycare part time after I've recovered from surgery, and I'm going to start working again part time. I have a feeling most of my paychecks will be going to new clothes! I buy clothes non stop now, I can't imagine what I'm going to be like after surgery!!! Cheers! Lorraine
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views