What do I pack for surgery?

Rickey C.
on 7/2/05 11:56 am - Benton, KS
Please tell me what all I should take with me to Mexico when I go for my lap rny. I go on July 14th, surgery on the 15th. Thank you, Chrissy from Kansas
Just Me
on 7/2/05 2:36 pm - Happy Place, TN
Hi, Suggest: Handywipes, they come in handy for ALL SORTS of things. Comfy PJ's and loose fitting shirts. I had an open RNYand it feels comfortable to place the binder OVER the loose fitting t-shirt. Doesn't rub the skin as much and accomplishes the same. I took a hot plate and cooking pan, baby rice mix, Glucerna shakes in cans, and campbells chicken noodle soup. I carried a slew of medical tape, bandages, antibacterial spray, anticaterial lotion, anti-itch spray, and the standard band-aid. I also took my laptop in order to have a translating device for when I attempted to speak individuals who only spoke spanish. I also took a CD player and books on tape. I was too wrestless to complete the cd's and it took EVERY ounce of my being to set the laptop up and get it operating in the hospital room. If you arrive by plane, perhaps you can make a stop at a Wal-mart or such and purchase some large fluffy pillows if you plan to stay in an apartment or hotel after surgery. (you didn't specify, so I added this just in case.) Perhaps a fan would be nice. As far as cell phones... Make sure your cell phone has both the physical capability AND you have a plan which allows it to work in Mexico. This usually take a special plan to add on to your cell, but not always. Just run it by a kiosk or your carrier's store. Wouldn't hurt to do that at TWO different stores, because some employees may not understand or unintentionally offer wrong info. Take small US bills, like a LOT of $1.00 and a few $5.00 depending on your "shopping."
bonnied
on 7/2/05 10:58 pm - St. Albans, VT
If you are going to Monterrey and staying at the Hampton Inn, you will need very little. I brought the crystal light to go packets to add to bottled water, individual broth packets, sugar free jello form Walmart that does not need refidgeration. At the Hampton Inn there is ho****er and coffee in the lobby 24/7. I also used the in room coffee maker to hea****er for broth, and used it a few times for some really ho****er to make a hot pack because my back was sore! You really don't need anything else for food (keep reading). I'm glad I brought my laptop because the internet is free (email is wonderful). If you use the phone it's $5 per minute! And I was able to update everyone at home easily. Verizon wanted a $500 deposit to give me a calling plan that included Mexico, so I just used email and made very minimal calls. All you need is to get a connecting cable from the front desk when you check in. Also the rooms are all air conditioned, and fairly comfortable. I'm also very glad I brought soft knit pull on pants (and shorts) and slip on sandals. My tummy was too sore for my shorts that buttoned and zipped, I didn't wear them once. Don't forget your bathing suit, I was back in the pool 5 days after surgery because everything was healed and you don't have any funky tubes or anything like that coming out like you do with some of the other surgeons. There is a laundry center, too with free soap and softener. It's $4 US dollars to wash and dry 1 load. For money, I brought $150 US dollars and had the lobby exchange it to pesos. Since you won't need to pay for taxis, it lasted us for 10 days. For my husband there was a wonderful free breakfast every morning with scrambled eggs, ham, a mexican bean dish with tortillas. Also there were breads, cereals, and yogurt for me too! And a McDonalds and Applebees on the property for him to have other meals. So if someone is going with you, they don't need to worry! We went over to H.E.B. several times to get little extras for snacks, yogurt smoothies, etc. I wish you all the best for a safe and speedy trip, surgery and recovery! Keep in touch to let us know how you are doing! Bonnie
Rickey C.
on 7/3/05 11:36 am - Benton, KS
Bonnie, thank you so much for your response. It is good to know that I will have access to the coffee pot, so I can have ho****er to make broth. I will be going alone, hubby can't go along. How far away is the H.E.B, is there any place to shop for bargains. What type of stores are in the mall? I don't think I will be able to take my laptop along, so hopefully I can get an intl. phone card that will make phone calls cheaper. Thanks again for the info. Chrissy from Kansas
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views