New here!!

Jennnifer
on 6/29/05 11:55 pm - Southgate, MI
Ok well first of all my name is Jennifer, i'm 24.5 y.o. and i'm from Michigan. I have spent the last 5 years playing games with the insurance company to cover me, and they still won't, no matter what, and I don't even have an exclusion. I have one of the best (Aetna) and it's still a game. I am 5'6" tall and weigh 298lbs, with a BMI of 48.5 I think. I'm married, and have 2 kids, my most recent 4 months ago, and the other one just turned 3. I NEVER in a million years thought about going to Mexico, really I didn't even know you could. Then I came back to this wonderful site, which i've been a member of for the entire 5 years. This site has improved so much since I was last here. I am really impressed with Dr. Aguirre and all his patient testimonials. I have talked to Rosella and told her I was interested. She came back with a few available dates, and I replied back that I was interested in August 19th. They want to charge me $9,400 for doc & hospital fees. Only a month and a half away. I am very excited, and very scared to death. The first thing people think of in the U.S. when we hear Mexico is, it must be dirty and cheap. I know that is not the case in all places though! I am far from racist, but I am having a hard time convincing my 86 year old grandmother that I will be ok. She grew up in Texas (born in England) and keeps telling me that it is so unsafe. I don't believe her when it comes to having surgeyr with Dr. Aguirre. I do have a couple concerns regarding using Dr. Aguirre and his facilities that I have not had a chance to ask Rosella about. I know at BTC they are specialized and take lots of precautions against complications. In the short stay at the hospital down there, are they good abou****ching you? So far from what i've read is that you have a nurse check on you once per day after you leave the hospital. I'm just nervous about something going wrong and having nobody to help. Also, do they do leak tests and other things while your in the hospital? I'm just trying to compare what BTC told me they do and what kind of stuff Dr. Aguirre and his hospital do. I'm very nervous, but I am confident he can do this. What happens if there is a major complication, is he equipped to handle this? I have read so many positive testimonials about him, and not one negative one yet... however, I know there must be someone he's done that has failed, or had major complications. No doctor is perfect. What I can't find is his mortality rate. Not sure if I truly want to know that, but it would be good info. What about aftercare and nutrition? Does he discuss what you should and shouldn't eat, what signs to look out for if there is a problem, etc? How do I find someone who can take care of me when I get home? Do they have to be a bariatric surgeon? Thank you for listening! I wish I had a buddy to do this with me!! Jennifer
BeeHappe
on 6/30/05 1:37 am - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
Hi Jennifer, my name is Jenny and I am new to this site. I am working on getting financed so I can have surgery in Mexico also. I am going to go to Dr. Joya. I have talked to several people about him and have had a great response. I know someone that has went to Dr. Sanchez and is doing great. My family thinks I am crazy, but you just have to assure them that they have to go by the same rules as the US doctors and some of these Mexico doctors have been doing this longer than some doctors here in the states. I know that Dr. Joya does the leak test and have seen pictures of the hospital and it really looks nice. Everyone that I have talked to about him says that he is wonderful. Good luck. As soon as I get my financing straightened out, I can have a surgery date in two weeks!!! Are you going to the banding? I am doing the gastric bypass.
Rickey C.
on 6/30/05 1:51 am - Benton, KS
Jennifer, when are you having your surgery? Where is Dr. Joya? I am having lap gastric bypass on July 15th in Monterrey with Dr. Zapata. I will be staying at the Hampton Inn Galleria until July 25th. I was just wondering when and where you might be going, looking for someone else that is going to be in Monterrey at the same time as I am. Thanks, Chrissy from Kansas
Amanda
on 6/30/05 3:34 am - Kearney, NE
Welcome to the site!! It is such an exciting time! I can't say enough good things about Dr. A.!!! First, when I was there in Nov. I was around his 500th surgery and he said he had had one death. He also said this person was very sick to begin with and just simply didn't make it! As far as precautions against leaks, he actually staples the stomachs and then also goes back and hand stitches. My husband watched the surgery and he said the hand stitching is one step many dr's skip and that is the reason for many leaks. If you are going to have a leak, I was told, it would happen in the three days you are in the hospital. They didn't do any tests for leaks, as I understand it is you will develop a high fever and that is a sign of a leak or complication!?! I was taken excellent care of when I was in the hospital! The nurses were very quick to respond and gave me everything I needed. As far as the nurse coming to the apartment, I felt was a waste of money, considering I had my husband to take care of me and give me showers, and change the bandages. But, it is all what you feel comfortable doing! I hope this info helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!!! A
GW
on 6/30/05 7:05 am - Weatherford, TX
Hi Jennifer! I had my surgery with Dr. A almost 4 months ago and I feel better than I have in 15 years! Dr. A is the absolute best! Hands down! Anyway, if you have a leak, it will show up as in fever and such as the previous post said. When I was having my pre-op done with Dr. A the night before surgery, he told me if I developed a leak, it would be HIS fault. Nothing I would have done to cause it, and he would go back in and fix it. Have you ever heard a Dr. in the states say anything would be HIS fault? Not me! I had a friend who had this done in the states and developed a leak. The Dr. told her it just happens sometimes. He fixed it, but there was another charge to her! Anyway, when I was there, Dr. A checked on me at least 6 times the first 24 hours. I woke up once and he was sitting there. That never happens in the states either! At least not from my experience! They are very competant and take very good care of you. You will be fine. I did have the nurse even though I know my husband could have handled it himself. But he is very overprotective and since I had high blood pressure and diabetes, he wanted the nurse to check on me. They were all very friendly and very caring! Keep us all posted! Genie
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views