:help: Need info

WindyLady L.
on 6/27/05 2:17 pm - Grants Pass, OR
I was wondering, what any of you think would be the best way to prepare for the surgery. I was thinking of trying to do the post-opt diet but I don't know what it is . My husband doesn't want me to do that because he's afraid I will make myself weak and then they won't take me into surgery. I am a Diabetic and he worries. I would just like to be a little prepared I only have 45 days until Mexico. I was also wondering about the surgery and the sucess that those of you that have gone to Dr A have had with losing. Thanks Mariah
SandiBeach
on 6/27/05 2:36 pm - Northwest USA
Hi Mariah, I can't help on the dieting part, I was awful before surgery, I ate everything I could find...I guess it was my way of saying goodbye to my old way of life. As for Dr A. and surgery with him, I am well below goal weight and doing great. It has been quite a journey, and well worth every moment. Your life will never be the same! Everyone on this board is so nice and so supportive. May God bless you and yours.
GW
on 6/28/05 12:15 am - Weatherford, TX
Hey Mariah! I was a diabetic too when I had surgery in Mexico 4 months ago. (will be 4 months on Monday) My husband is a worrier too, so it seems we have several things already in common. As for the dieting thing, I also went through a stage of eating everything I could. Maybe I was saying good bye, maybe it was something else. I don't pretend to know, I just know I did it! Since I was diabetic, I didn't go overboard on the no-no things, just ate alot of what I could eat! The surgery went very well and I have had NO complications. The only problem I had was about 2 weeks after surgery I got bronchitis. That was in no way related to the surgery, but let me tell you, all that coughing and sneezing tore up my gut! OUCH! The only thing my husband insisted on (since he is very overprotective!) is that we had the nurse come in EVERY DAY! He knew he could take care of the bandages, but since I was diabetic and had high blood pressure, he wanted the nurse in every day to check me. In hindsite, it was a waste of money, because everything was great. But, it made him feel better so it was worth it! I have lost 55 pounds now and have not felt this good in over 15 years. Oh, and in case you missed it in the opening paragraph, I said I WAS diabetic when I went. I have been off ALL of my meds, diabetic and high blood pressure included, since the surgery! Praise God! I know you will do great, and you will never regret this decision. In His love, Genie
Dinka Doo
on 6/28/05 2:47 am - Medford, OR
Mariah - You will find many different answers and opinions I'm sure. For me, I chose to maintain my weight and watch my blood sugar. I didn't go nuts eating everything in sight, but I didn't have major depravation either. I didn't want to ride the roller coaster anymore. As for dieting, there is a good reason to lose a little before you have surgery and that is that it helps shrink the liver - or so I have read from others who's doctors have conveyed that to them. I suspect that it would help with even a minimal amount of loss. I know your cholesterol levels can change on a daily and weekly basis so I suspect the shrinking of the liver can happen similarly. But being done open, there is less of a concern about that than lap. I would try to keep it on an even keel if you can. Don't worry about last suppers and all. The cool thing about this surgery is that you will be able to have almost anything you enjoy now in smaller quantities, so there is not need to look at it as a last time. One exception is sugary things which will make most people dump, but since you are diabetic now anyway, you probably wouldn't go nuts on that at this point. Hope that helps! Dina
Cheri Moran
on 6/28/05 7:46 am - Big Spring, TX
Hi Mariah! I didn't diet before surgery but I didn't do the "eat everything you can" either. My reasoning was if I gained weight before surgery, it was just that much more that I would have to lose later. I'm 13 months out and I haven't found anything I can't eat. I just eat very small portions. Dr. A was my surgeon and I can assure you and your husband that you will be in good hands with him. I received excellent care. I am very pleased with my results. You can read my whole story on my web site - just click on the www tab at the bottom of my post. I will say that I have lost 123 pounds - I reached the goal my follow-up bariatric surgeon set by my one year anniversary. I am now 8 pounds below goal and maintaining that weight. I have gone from a size 24/3X to 8P/10P (mediums and some smalls). My health is excellent although I did have two unrelated bowel obstruction surgeries in April. I wish you the very best as you begin this wonderful journey to a new and more exciting life. Cheri
bonnied
on 6/30/05 11:42 am - St. Albans, VT
Hi Mariah! Congrats and good luck on your upcoming surgery! Here's what I was told about following a full liquid diet before surgery: 1. It will help get you prepared for post-op-- you will find the foods you like and be able to try out protein powders, etc 2. A weight loss of only 10 pounds significantly shrinks your liver and makes it more flexible, more resistant to damage during surgery. Fatty livers (most obese have them) tend to crack and break at times during surgery and losing weight changes that a little but guess what, if you are having open surgery, the liver thing really doesn't matter because they can use a shovel to hold your liver out of the way if they need to! It really makes a differenc in laprascopic surgery where they only have small instruments. I wish you all the best! Bonnie
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views