went to see my PCP

DONNA RELLA
on 6/12/05 1:26 am - Uvalde, TX
I went to see my family dr. and i was worried because he is not "for" the surgery. HE was GREAT. He said he would help in any way he could. He did some blood work since i am became anemic last year and i am still a little anemic. He put me on a multi vitamin with iron. He scheduled me for pre op testing on 6-30. I was so happy that he did not ask me to find another dr. I am so blessed. Thank you LORD. Lots of people are asking me questions about the surgery. People i dont really know, but they heard through others that i was having this done. URGHHHHH. For those of you who are post op... how bad is the hunger..or head hunger? Did you ENJOY eating before? I just have negative people telling me that since i enjoy eating (like bbq's, going out to dinner with friends, lunch dates with coworkers,) that i am not going to be able to handle the hunger. WHat do you think?
Lorraine Wentz
on 6/12/05 2:29 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Donna, If you're dedicated enough, you'll be able to handle the hunger. I am actually looking forward to going on those lunch dates and eating out with friends, because I know that I'm going to be so extremely dedicated to this life change, and I want everyone to know it! And see it!! Your body will tell you what to do, listen to it. Cheers! Lorraine P.S. Don't let people who don't know what you're going through get you down. Don't let them manipulate your feelings. You're strong, you're proud and you're excited about your decision, remember that the next time someone tries to bring you down. P.S.S. Just because you're having this surgery, doesn't mean that you can't enjoy eating. You're going to enjoy eating even more afterwords. It's just going to be on a smaller scale and for different reasons. Not being able to eat as much will give you an appreciation for food that you've never had before. Every tiny bite that's taken will be enjoyed 10, 20, 30 times more than any complete meal ever was before your surgery. And the best thing is that you're not going to feel bad or guilty for what you've just eaten, you're going to feel proud of yourself, thankful, and content.
gogeko
on 6/12/05 3:10 am - Palmer, AK
HI DONNA TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ABOUT HUNGER. I DID NOT AND STILL HAVE NOT EXPEIRENCED ANY PHYSICAL HUNGER SINCE SURGURY. I HAVE GONE AS MUCH AS 6.5 HOURS BETWEEN EATING AND STILL DID NOT EXPERIENCE ANY HUNGER. HOWEVER I AM CONSTANTLY THURSTY. I NOW CARRY A BOTTLE OF WATER WITH ME WHERE EVER I GO. I LIKE THE PROPEL WATERS AND PLAIN WATER. AND THE COLDER THE WATER THE BETTER FOR ME. AS FAR AS HEAD HUNGER, I HAVE BEEN QUITE SURPRISED. I STILL DESIRE ICECREAM IF I SEE IT, OR OTHER SCRUMPTIOUS FOODS. I DONT EAT IT. BUT IF I SMELL IT OR SEE IT I DESIRE IT. SO THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO LEARN DICIPLINE AND PERHAPS SOME COUNCELING LATER IF I FEEL I REALY NEED IT. RIGHT NOW IM STILL EATING SOFT MUSHY FOODS SUCH AS LOW FAT YOGURT,MASHED POTATOES,SUGAR FREE JELLO AND PUDDING, CREAM OF WHEAT, CANNNED SOUPS AND BROTH. IM GLAD TO HEAR YOUR PCP IS WILLING TO WORK WITH YOU ON THIS. DONT LET THE NEGATIVE THINGS PEOPLE SAY GET TO YOU. SOME ARE JUST NOT AS ENLIGHTENED AS WE ARE. SURE WE MAY HAVE THE CRAVINGS WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD. BUT NOW WE HAVE A TOOL TO HELP US WITH THAT. THIS SURGERY ISNT MADE TO TAKE AWAY OUR ENJOYMENT OF FOOD ANYWAY. AND SOMEDAY AGAIN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY BBQS, JUST WITH A MUCH SMALLER APPITITE. YOU WILL DO GREAT. CINDY
GW
on 6/12/05 5:53 am - Weatherford, TX
Hey Donna! First of all, Praise God on the doctor report! Our God is so awesome and He continually amazes me as to what He does for us. Second, Lorraine is absolutely correct on everything she said! Third, Did I enjoy eating? Uhmm.................let's see........................ Uh, YEAH! That's how I got this way! Food was my best friend. I ate when I celebrated something, when I was depressed, when I was bored.....................you name it! I didn't realize just how big a part food played in my life until I had this surgery! Do I miss eating? Truthfully, sometimes, yes I do. When my husband is really going after it and I am finished and I still have to sit there, I feel as if I am missing something. But then, I think, I am sitting in a BOOTH! not a chair, (and the table is not touching me!) , I didn't have to take medicine this morning, and I snap out of it. It is so worth it! I don't regret this decision at all! And sometimes, (I have done this 2 times in 3 months) when I just want something so bad that I HAVE to taste it, I chew and spit! I get the flavor and texture, but nothing else. I also think that as I get smaller this problem will not be such a frequent visitor. I am learning new ways to eat and enjoy different tastes now. Some times sugar free things actually taste way to sweet for me even now. I don't think it is a question of my head saying I am hungry, as much as my head saying I am not satisfied. There is a big difference ya' know. But I will not push my pouch or stretch it out. I WILL LISTEN TO MY BODY AND STOP WHEN I NEED TO STOP! (Sure wish I could have learned that 40 years ago! (You can't get down from the table until you have cleaned your plate!) It would have saved me a lot of pain and misery!) Donna, you will do great! It may be hard to understand all of this before surgery, but after surgery, it just kinda fell into place for me. It will for you too! Take care! Genie
Shartee
on 6/12/05 2:09 pm - Kissimmee, FL
Hi Donna, I think you will do fantastic!!!! It will be a new start, a re-birth as they call it and the best thing you can do is listen to your body! Of course, I am not speaking from experience; only from all the wonderful advice and the wise words of all those on this site that have been through wls. You'll do great!! Hugs, ~Sharon~
DONNA RELLA
on 6/12/05 10:33 pm - Uvalde, TX
Thank you all for you kind words and advice. I guess i am just hearing it more now than ever. People that supposedly love me and have always told me i need to lose weight are the ones who are making my life harder right now. I hear : What? surgery? to lose weight? what a cop out... Mexico? are you crazy? give me the money and i will MAKE you lose the weight... Come on, you could have done it the natural way, you are just giving up. Just stop eating so much. It really isn't that difficult. You are gonna change for the worst... become a floosy. i cant think of anymore right now, but i am so tired of hearing all the negative. I have kinda tried to stay away from these people. Even though some are family...I know i can do this. I deserve to live. I pray everyday that i do change. I also pray that i will not change my morals and beliefs. I have just seen it so much with people i know that lose alot of weight... God is so good. THANK YOU so much for listening to me whine... i love yall. I talk about this site and all of my new "family" more than most people want to hear, but it is ok... they just have to deal with it. Oh yeah, what about some earthquake in San Diego???
bonnied
on 6/13/05 7:01 am - St. Albans, VT
Hi Donna! I had my surgery 6/3/05, and the 3rd-7th days after surgery, I was starving! I could hear and feel the liquids rushing out of my pouch it emptied so fast. One of the problems I had post-op was that I was not able to get all the sugar-free things I needed, so while in Mexico my choices were pretty limited (like the grocery store was out of cream of wheat the entire time we were there). Since I've been home, for some reason I lost my appetite. This morning I was only able to take 3 spoonfuls of cream of wheat cereal and I was so full I thought it was in my throat! I have already been out to eat with my family. I ordered chicken soup and sipped the broth. It didn't change my dining experience at all. The conversation and stuff were the same, I only talked more instead of chowing down a big greasy burger. Another bonus, it was a lot less expensive! Do not listen to the critics! For some reason people think they have the RIGHT to voice their opinion, they DON"T! My husband had to listen to one of his 400 pound bosses tell him last night how stupid I was for going and how risky it is, how a friend of a friend of a friend had WLS and died of complications, etc and how I should just eat less and exercise more. Yeah, because eating less and exercising more is certainly working for him right!?! I'm thinking that he's just jealous because I have the BALLS to do something like this and he doesn't! Tell the critics you are going to Mexico for breast implants and see how their reaction will be different! Best of luck to you, my prayers are with you and all on OH. Bonnie
DONNA RELLA
on 6/13/05 7:32 am - Uvalde, TX
I LIKE YOU!!! i feel so much better now.. thanks alot
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?