Surgery follow-up question

Sanibel12
on 5/27/05 1:39 am - Princeton, WV
Hello all! I have a question regarding follow up in the United States after having lap rny in Mexico. I am considering going to Monterrey to have lap rny with Dr. Rumbaut, but in doing some research, the surgeon I originally consulted with here in West Virginia said he would not feel comfortable doing follow-up on me if the surgery was done in Mexico. He said that most surgeons will avoid gastric bypass patients like the plague if the surgery was done in Mexico. Mexico is a more viable option for me than trying to have the surgery here...it is significantly less expensive and there are no insurance hoops to jump through. Not sure if anyone else has this question, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Lisa
gobelkys
on 5/27/05 1:59 am - MIAMI, FL
Lisa, I had to change PCP, before my surgery. I found a PCP and I advise him of my before hand of my WLS in Mexico, he was not completely happy, but he said he will do the follow up. You need to get a PCP before you go to Mexico. I could nt have picked a better PCP. He is great and very pleasant to deal with. Best of luck. Belkys
GW
on 5/27/05 2:20 am - Weatherford, TX
Hey Lisa! I think that it s**** that Dr.'s here are so prejudices against Dr.'s in Mexico. How do they know that they didn't graduate from the exact same class as they did? After all, a lot of Dr.'s in Mexico got their training in the states. Oh well....Off my soapbox! I am very blessed to have a wonderful PCP who was so totally supportive in my decision. He helped in any way he could and he has no problem doing my follow up. There are still good Dr.'s out there in this career because they love people and want to help. My prayers are with you that you find one. Just do your research! Whatever you have to do is so worth it! Genie
TracyW
on 5/27/05 4:11 am - Spring, TX
My doctor here in the US had no problems handling my aftercare from my surgery with Dr Aguirre in Mexico. Tracy 375/262/200
Cheri Moran
on 5/27/05 4:18 am - Big Spring, TX
Hi Lisa! I encourage you to check with other bariatric surgeons, there should be one that is willing to take you as a follow-up patient. A good PCP is a must but I'm a firm believer in also having a bariatric surgeon doing your follow-up. The bariatric surgeon has a much better knowledge of how things affect someone that has had weight loss surgery. Just keep looking and you can always ask more than once, if you keep asking, maybe he'll give up and say ok. Cheri
Sanibel12
on 5/31/05 2:20 am - Princeton, WV
Thank you all for your responses. He almost had me scared into dismission Mexico as an option, but now I think I'll do some more research. Thanks, again! Have a great day! Lisa
Red H.
on 5/31/05 1:57 pm - Lebanon, OR
Lisa, I have had no problem getting my PCP to do followup after surgery, BUT, he is quick to tell me he is not a surgeon and is not familiar with this type of surgery. He is willing to do the blood work followup. Ive been fortunate that I haven't had problems but if I did, I would have to call the local surgeon and hope and pray that he would take me as a patient because I would not want to travel to my initial surgeon agoin. I hope others will post what happens to them if they have problems. And maybe this surgery will become so common that this won't be a problem anymore. Red Head
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views