has anyone ever heard of wls not working?

pattycake
on 5/22/05 11:04 am - macon, GA
well, everyone. i am just a little over two weeks until surgery. i am sooooo scared. what will happen there? what if it does not work and i went to all this trouble and spent all my money? i am nervous and excited and now i am having a lotof second thughts. HELP!!!!! has anyone heard of anyone who wasn't able to lose weight with wls?
Rickey C.
on 5/22/05 12:18 pm - Benton, KS
I dont' really know the answers to your questions, but i can't imagine that one would not lost weight. I imagine if you go in at a lower BMI you might not lose weight as quickly as someone who has a higher BMI. I had the lapband and in six months with a low BmI I was able to lose 50 pounds. Unfortunately, the band eroded and I had to have it removed after only a year. SO here I am gaining back the weight, trying to figure out where to have lap rny done. My insurance did not pay for the first surgery. So i had it done in Tijuana, now I am looking to have lap rny as a more permanent solution. Where are you having yours done? Best of luck to you, Chrissy
pattycake
on 5/22/05 9:23 pm - macon, GA
i am having mine done in ensenada with dr aguirre, ut he is not doing it by lap. he is doing it open. i am paying out of pocket about $9400.00, but i think i heard his price has gone up again. i am very excited and i have a lot of information that i have been studying to geet prepared fo post op to make sure my pouch works. this will work for me this will work for me this will work for me.
tfrodrig
on 5/23/05 4:45 am - Riverside, CA
Hi Patty, I just visited Dr. A this last Saturday 5/21 for a consultation and to check out the Doctor and the cleanliness of the hospital....what a wonderful kind hearted man! And his daughter Rosella is just as wonderful, kind and sweet. You will be in such good hands....no worries! After meeting them I am no longer worried...have faith that with Dr. A and Rosella you are in good hands!!! The price is still the same 9,400 for the Doctor and hospital. He has your best interest at heart, very educated, no doubt he knows what he is doing he is specialized in open because that is what he does best.... Stick to the doctors instructions and it will work!!! Cheat yourself, it will not work...the doctor told me about a girl that learned to cut up a snicker bar in five pieces and have a piece everyday (with a little piece the sugar did not cause her to dump) and yes she did gain her weight back, she was not committed....I would fear breaking my stitches inside, ouch!!! I am so excited for 6/21 to come....I just can't contain my self!!!!! Good luck to you, Patty!!!
tfrodrig
on 5/23/05 4:49 am - Riverside, CA
Hey, thats my picture!!!!!! YEAH, You guys can see me know!!! HI
gogeko
on 5/22/05 12:57 pm - Palmer, AK
HI PATTY I'M JUST SLIGHTLY OVER 1 WEEK FROM MY SURGERY. I TOO HAVE BEEN THINKING "WHAT IF THIS DOESNT WORK". BUT I THINK THIS IS A NORMAL REACTION. SO MANY OTHER WIEGHT LOSS ATTEMPS HAVE FAILED US OR WE FAILED THEM. BUT THIS ONE WILL NOT FAIL. WE WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT. HOWEVER IT WILL TAKE EFFORT ON OUR PART WHEN WE GET TO THE MAINTAINENCE PART OF THIS PROCEDURE TO KEEP IT OFF. BUT WHILE WE ARE IN THE LOSING PHASE WE NEED TO USE THIS TIME TO EDUCATE OURSELVES. LEARN WHAT IS CORRECT PORTION SIZES, ECT. THE FIRST FEW MONTHS MAY SEEM DIFFICULT AS WE SLOWLY ARE ABLE TO EAT AGAIN. WE MAY HAVE HARD TIMES AND GET DEPRESSED. BUT THANKS TO THIS SITE WE HAVE A GREAT SUPPORT GROUP TO TURN TO FOR THE NEEDED ENCOURAGEMENT. I HAVE READ SO MANY PROFILES AND ALTHOUGH SOME HAD HARD TIMES I DIDN'T COME ACROSS VERY MANY, IF ANY AT ALL WHO SAID THEY WISH THEY NEVER HAD THIS SURGERY. THEY ARE LOVING THIER NEW BODIES AND LIFE. IT WILL BE THAT WAY FOR US TOO. WHEN I BEGIN TO HAVE SECOND THAUGHTS I THINK WHAT ARE THE ALTERATIVES? I BELIEVE I HAVE TRIED THEM ALL ALREADY. AND IT SCARES ME MORE TO NOT HAVE THE SURGERY THAN IT DOES TO HAVE IT. HANG IN THERE, YOU HAVE BEEN WANTING THIS FOR A LONG TIME. YOU HAVE WORKRD HARD FOR THIS BECAUSE YOU BELIEVED IN IT ENOUGH TO DO IT. I WON'T LIE TO YOU, I AM A LITTLE SCARED . BUT ITS EASY TO BE SCARED OF WHAT WE DONT KNOW. WE HAVE READ MANY STORIES OF WHAT OTHERS HAVE GONE THRU. BUT UNTIL WE GO THRU IT OURSELEVES WE CANT FULLY UNDERSTAND IT ALL. AS SOME ONES ELSE TOLD ME THE OTHER DAY... YOU ARE SO CLOSE NOW, RELAX AND ENJOY THE REST OF THE RIDE. I WILL BE SEEING YOU SOON. I WILL BE IN ENSENADA MAY 30TH THRU JUNE 9TH. TAKE CARE UNTIL THEN... OK. HUGGS TO YOU. CINDY
TTCromar
on 5/22/05 1:26 pm - UT
Hey Patty: I understand your worries....I still have them. It's funny you should ask this question, I just recently heard of someone it didn't work for. The women refused to follow the diet plan and drinks a ton of sugar filled soda, and all the foods we are incouraged to avoid. She actually weighs more now than she did when she had the surgery. I guess if we don't follow the rules of the pouch it doesn't work. You just need to make up your mind to do as your told....and to keep at it. You'll be ok Patty!! I'm SOOOOOOO excited for you!!! (((huggs))) Tami~
gogeko
on 5/22/05 1:27 pm - Palmer, AK
HI PATTY I REPLYED EARLIER BUT DONT SEE IT POSTED SO I AM ATTEMPTING IT AGAIN. I AM SLIGHTLY OVER 1 WEEK FROM MY SURGERY. I TOO HAVE HAD THOUGHTS "WHAT IF THIS DOES'NT WORK". BUT I THINK THIS IS NORMAL SINCE SO MANY OTHER WIEGHT LOSS ATTEMPS FAILED US OR WE FAILED THEM. BUT THIS ONE WILL NOT FAIL. WE WILL LOSE THE WIEGHT. HOWEVER IT WILL TAKE EFFORT TO MAINTAIN THE WIEGHT LOSS ONCE WE LOSE IT. WHILE WE ARE IN THE LOSING PHASE WE SHOULD USE THIS TIME TO EDUCATE OURSELVE AS TO CORRECT PORTIONS, ETC. IT MAY BE DIFFICULT IN THE FIRST FEW MONTHS TO LEARN WHAT WE CAN EAT AND WHAT WILL AGREE WITH US. AND WE MAY GET DEPRESSED FROM TIME TO TIME. BUT THANKS TO THIS FORUM WE HAVE A WONDERFUL SUPORT GROUP THAT WILL GIVE US THE NEEDED ENCOURAGEMENT. I HAVE READ MANY PROFILES AND I DIDNT FIND VERY MANY, IF ANY WHO SAID THEY WISH THEY DIDNT HAVE THIS SURGERY. THEY ARE ENJOYING THIER NEW BODIES AND LIFE. IT IS EASY TO BE SCARED OF WHAT WE DO NOT KNOW. WE HAVE READ MANY STORIES OF WHAT OTHERS EXPERIENCE. BUT UNTIL WE EXPERIENCE IT OURSELVES WE WONT FULLY UNDERSTAND IT ALL. I WONT LIE TO YOU. I DO GET SCARED. BUT WHEN I DO, I THINK OF THE ALTERNITIVES. I THINK I HAVE TRIED THEM ALL ALREADY. I AM MORE SCARED NOT TO HAVE THE SURGERY THAN I AM TO HAVE IT. YOU HAVE COME ALONG WAYS. YOU HAVE WANTED THIS FOR A LONG TIME. YOU HAVE WORKED HARD FOR IT BECAUSE YOU BELIEVED IN IT ENOUGH TO DO IT. AS SOME ONE TOLD ME THE OTHER DAY...YOU HAVE COME THIS FAR... RELAX AND ENJOY THE REST OF THE RIDE. I WILL BE SEEING YOU SOON. I WILL BE IN ENSANADA MAY 30TH THRU JUNE 9TH. HANG IN THERE. TAKE CARE UNTILL THEN, HUGGS TO YOU. CINDY
Allison R.
on 5/22/05 11:39 pm - Georgetown, IN
Cindy and Patty, We will all be there around the same time - I am flying into San Diego the night of the 6th and then having Bambi pick us up at a hotel in San Diego the morning of the 7th. Cindy, I will try to see you before you leave and Patty my husband I both will be there so we can help (he) if we need anything - he is a great guy and won't mind. I am scared as well but excited at the prospect of a new life - a life without medical problems and a life of actually liking who I am and not hating myself. My kids don't like this idea and my husband has read a few profiles on here and is a bit nervous but still supportive. I think he is more afraid of the airplane ride - LOL. In short, anything can happen at anytime. Life is too short as it is to not do what is in your heart to do. I watched my Grandmother lose her mobility at the age of 60 and my mother as well. My mother just basically sits in her house and has to have help to go anywhere - her husband is not helpful at all so all she does is sit. When she comes to visit me, we go everywhere and she cries when she has to go home. She is insulin dependent and has to give herself shots everyday and is having major problems with sores on her legs and feet. I certainly can't see living my life like that and I am doing what I can do to prevent it now. Good luck to us all! Allison
rhionan
on 5/22/05 11:58 pm - Lincoln, NE
Hi Patty! I know exactly how you feel!!!! I was freeking out about this surgery right up until they knocked my happy butt out on the operating table! Will it work for me? Will I screw this up too? What if i have complications? Why am I doing this to myself? I tell you what, Dr. Vega couldn't have knocked me out fast enough. I was emotionally shot by the time I got down to the operating room. My advise to you and Cindy, and anyone else that is going in for this surgery......DO NOT WORRY YOURSELF SICK OVER IT!! Yes it is a risk, and yes things could go wrong, but Dr. Aguirre is THE BEST surgeon! They will take excellent care of you. Now the part that is up to you...following the new eating plan. NO PROBLEM! This will be easier than you think at first. Until you have had the surgery it is impossible to think about life without hunger, but trust me...you really have no desire to eat after it's done, at least for the first month or so. I have notice that since I am never hungry I really don't even have cravings for alot of the foods I used to love. I guess what I am trying to say in short is that in my short term experience with this, I just don't see how anyone could fail unless they really really tried to mess it up for themselves from the very beginning. So don't worry, soon you will be on the loosing side and your life will just keep getting better and better!! Love and hope to you! Tera
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views