Embarassing Question

richardwidman
on 5/22/05 7:17 am - Las Vegas, NV
I am a little embarrased to ask this, but y'all are family so here goes. Has anyone had problems with constipation. I haven't had a BM for 6 days now. I have tried sugar free Metamucil, and no help. Any suggestions?
Dinka Doo
on 5/22/05 7:44 am - Medford, OR
Well, with iron suppliments sometimes. One problem could be lack of fluids - that can back you up. I tend to "cheat" when I feel like I need to go though, and will eat some low-carb chocolate or something with malitol in it. That usually gets things moving. If you take fiber suppliments without enough water it can do the opposite on you and cause you to back up even further. The thing to remember, however, is that you will go a lot less at least in the beginning. You simply aren't putting enough in to come out. So you will find that it's pretty common to go longer periods of time between bms. Hope that helps! Dina
Molly Mae
on 5/22/05 10:56 am - WA
Hi Richard! I hope things get moving soon. In the mean time, try a stool softener. I forgot what the brand is but, something like Sennacot or senna-somthing. I had a hard time after giving birth and this stuff really helped a lot. You just keep taking them for a few days until you get some relief. Best wishes and big hugs, Molly
sopralto
on 5/22/05 12:00 pm - WA
Here's a little help from an RN for the constipation thingy. Since it's been 6 days, I would try docusate sodium, brand name colace. Follow package directions. After my RNY if I take this, it works within 1-2 hours, not overnight and I got some bad cramping, but it did the trick. A gentler method is sennokot or senna, a vegetable based laxative. IF the stool is in the rectum but hard, a suppository, docusate sodium laxative might work. I eat sugar free jello made with skim milk and that gives me the runs the next day, if I get constipated. Drink lots of fluids!
rhionan
on 5/22/05 11:34 pm - Lincoln, NE
Hi Richard...my long lost surgery buddy! I am so sorry we didn't get to meet each other in Ensenada. I too have been having this problem with lack of BM. But I have found a couple of things that have helped. Phillips makes a very yummy chocolate chew that has very few carbs (and takes care of the " Must have chocolate" cravings) that works very well over night. As far as our new diet it is not surprising that we have this problem though...all protien, very little carbs or fiber. I picked up some Benefiber, and mix a tablespoon of it in with my iced tea or water everyday. It is great, doesn't clump or get thick and does not change the taste at all. Also a small handful of baby lettuce greens at lunch helps me quite a bit also. I just make sure to chew them up very well. Hope that helps! love and hope to you! Tera
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views