what type of preparation before surgery in Mexico?

sopralto
on 5/20/05 2:35 am - WA
I understand when you seek surgery in Mexico, you contact the doctor and get all your questions answered. Do you have to obtain any lab work or tests here in the US before you go to know if you are a surgical candidate? Or is it all done the day before surgery in Mexico? Do you arrange your own airfare? What money is required before you go, a down payment of some type? Guess I am wondering where to start! My daughter is considering a RNY proximal only wants a lap procedure and will be 17 at the time, BMI 43. Very healthy girl. Lap band not recommended by bariatric MD here in US.
Molly Mae
on 5/20/05 2:45 am - WA
Hi Kathy! I am moving to Lakewood in 7 days! Maybe we could get together (you and your daughter at Starbucks sometime and I will tell you all about my experiences) Anyway, to answer you ?'s here ya go: 1. no labs required locally, they are done day before surgery 2. You arrange your own travel 3. no down payment for the surgeon I went to All this being said...this is only for Dr. Aguirre in Ensenada. He is awesome and really has his technique down. My out of pocket for EVERYTHING including souveniers was under $10K. I guess it has gone up in price some but I was really happy. He does open RNY as he has for twenty something years. I believe Dr. Raumbalt (spelling) does lap. hugs, thanks for being a great mom to your daughter! Molly 252/190/135
sopralto
on 5/20/05 5:04 am - WA
Thanks for the information. We initially were hoping a lapband would be appropriate for her, but the bariatric MD convinced us that is not right for her (after reviewing her history and examining her) She was told an RNY would be best and that she must see a cardiologist, psych consult, nutritionist, pediatric endocrinologist (I'm not kidding!). All to be paid out of pocket. I can afford $12,000 but not $35,000 here in US. I am very hopeful she could have a lap RNY as I have an incisional hernia from 2 abd surgeries and would hope she can avoid similar. The cardiologist was to say she is fit for surgery. She had a heart catheterization when she was 7. The pediatric cardiologist said she was cured and could say she never had a heart problem, She can even be a pilot. The endocrinologist would follow because they don't know the effects of bypass surgery on teenagers. This is a new requirement. However, we decided she should wait until summer 06 when she is 17.5 so maybe the endocrinology aspect will be less. (When does teenagehood end? 18 or 21? We would love to meet you in person and hear your experience. My daughter is a little leary of Mexico, my husband hates the place and I used to live there and love it! I am also an RN and would be with her the whole time. I could give you our phone number, is that safe on line? Or just email us at [email protected]
gogeko
on 5/20/05 8:47 am - Palmer, AK
HI KATHY MY EXPERIENCE WILL BE SIMILAR TO MOLLY'S. I AM HAVING OPEN RNY WITH DR. AGUIRRE AS WELL. IN FACT IN 11 MORE DAYS. DR. AGUIRRE ASKED THAT I HAVE AN ECHOCARDIOGRAM DONE 1 WEEK BEFORE I GO DOWN THERE. I HAD IT DONE TODAY. AND WILL BE PICKING UP THE RESULTS NEXT FRIDAY BEFORE I LEAVE. AND HE REQUESTED THAT I BRING MY MEDICAL RECORDS WITH ME FROM MY PCP. OTHER THAN THAT HE DOESNT REQUIRE PSYCO EVALUATION. NOR DOES HE REQUIRE YOU TO SEE A NUTRITIONIST AND ALL THAT STUFF. I THINK THE MAIN REASON THAT US DRS REQUIRE ALL THAT IS TO HAVE AMMUNITION WHEN DEALING WITH THE INSURENCE COMPANYS IN GETTING APPROVAL. I AM PAYING 9400.00 FOR MY SURGERY. THAT COVERS THE SURGEON(DR AGUIRRE) AND THE ANESTHIESIOLOGIST (sorry spelling is poor). AND THE HOSPITAL STAY. AND SOME TIMES THERE MAY BE A $ 20 PRESCRIPTION FOR ADDITIONAL PAIN MED IF NEEDED. DR. AGUIRRE'S DAUGHTER, ROSELLA HAS AN APPARTMENT FOR OUT OF TOWN PATIENTS TO STAY AT. PRETTY COMPARIBLE TO STAYING AT A HOTEL. MAYBE LITTLE CHEAPER. FROM PICTURES I'VE SEEN IT LOOKS REAL NICE. AND THEY HAVE A DRIVER, WHO I HEAR IS REAL NICE, PICK YOU UP IN SAN DIEGO AT THE AIRPORT AND BRING YOU BACK. THIS FEE IS $350. I SAW DR RUMBAUT MENTIONED TOO. HE DOES LAP RNY WHERE AS DR AGUIRRE IS OPEN. I HEAR HE IS A GOOD SURGEON AS WELL. YOU CAN FIND MORE INFO ON HIM. I TYPED HIS NAME IN MY SEARCH ENGINE AND FOUND HIS WEB SITE AND THE HOSPITAL HE WORKS AT. HIS NAME IS DR. ROBERTO RUMBAUT. I DONT REMEMBER HIS COST BUT I THINK FOR LAP RNY IT WAS AROUND 11,000. HOPE THIS HELPS. CINDY
bonnied
on 5/21/05 7:13 am - St. Albans, VT
Hi Kathy! Check out Dr. Rumbaut! I'm having my Lap RNY June 3, 2005. He is the most expensive (14,000) but he seems very qualified! Laproscopic is the way to go, you know that! I'm a LPN and have taken care of hundreds of open RNY patients, looks too painful for me! People are saying wonderful things about Dr. Aguirre, and he only costs about $10,500, but he only does the open procedure. Best of luck to you both! Bonnie
sopralto
on 5/21/05 10:55 am - WA
That is great. I would like you to speak to my daughter about your experience with Dr. Rumbaut to answer her questions--or email. She is better at using computers than I am! I believe the reason Dr. Rumbaut charges more is that a laparoscopic surgery always costs more that open. It takes longer and requires a great deal of skill. It costs more here in the US. What preparations did you do in advance? One poster said she had an EKG,which I'm sure we would need based on my daughter's past cardiac history. That is easy to get, can be ordered by her PCP. I have a son who speaks fluent Spanish who would be able to accompany us, which will relieve some of my husband's fears. Some have posted that the nurses don't speak English.
pattycake
on 5/22/05 12:39 am - macon, GA
has dr a gone up to $10,500.00.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?