Crazy Question

sue_f
on 5/17/05 5:19 am - Portland, OR
I am not a nurse, but I was under the impression that a "spinal tap" is the removal of fluids from the spinal column for the purpose of diagnoses. An epidural will involve putting a small needle into the same spinal area. For me, (and I suspect everyone else who has surgery with Dr. A) a tube is left in for a day or so. This is how they give you pain medication for the first 24 hours. It works really well, and you hardly know it is there. No pain. I did not have any back pain, but I tell you I had terrible foot pain!! Yes, I know, everyone is scratching their heads in wonderment. But it is true. When I awakened, of course my legs and feet were numb and I could not move them. My right foot was pressed in a forward, pointing position and pushed down by the tight sheets and blankets on the bed. I was not able to change its position until the feeling came back and by then it was too late. I think I stretched the muscles or tendons on the top of my foot because it was sore and painful for about 7-10 days afterward. My mother (who is a nurse) said they should have been a little more careful about how my feet were positioned in the bed. But, no big deal and I would do it again even if *both* my feet hurt next time!
Lorraine Wentz
on 5/17/05 6:03 am - St. Catharines, Canada
I have no idea. Maybe I was hearing things since I was kinda hysteric due to the decision to have a c-section and then being in the operating room within minutes. It wasn't an emergency c-section, so I have no idea why they scooted me in there so fast. Guess there was nothing else to do! Anyway, I loved the feeling, or should I say lack of feeling in my lower half. It was so cool! Although trying to push myself up to a sitting position when I slipped down was kinda hard! The only thing that bothered me, was the itching from the anesthesia. My face seemed to be the only thing that itched! And I had an air mask on my face as well. What a bother!! Cheers! Lorraine
TracyW
on 5/17/05 9:56 am - Spring, TX
You will be pretty well drugged up and you really will not even care how big or small they are. Some people come out with their shoulder hurting or something like that, I did not have any problems... Thanks for working on my Photos... Tracy 375/268/200
Lorraine Wentz
on 5/17/05 10:16 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Let people know when you have them posted so they can see your progress!! It's really great how far you've come in such a short time!! Cheers! Lorraine
y0maria
on 5/17/05 4:23 pm - CA
I had epidurals with my three C-sections that really messed up my back. Because of that I requested NOT to have an epidural. Dr. Aguirre was agreeable as long as Dr. Gomez was comfortable during the surgery. If at anytime he felt my safety was an issue I was going to get an epidural regardless. Luckily, I did NOT have to have one and I feel that my rapid recovery was because of not having the epidural. However, this is my opinion. Because of past experiences I did not want one but I know that many have had them with no issues. I weighed well over 300 pounds when I had my surgery and had absolutely no issues with my back that is associated with my RNY.
Molly Mae
on 5/17/05 11:29 pm - WA
Hi Mary! I know what you mean about giving birth with epidurals. Because of this...I gave birth natural and drug-free TWICE in three years, lol! I was so scared of the thought of the epidural. It is a REALLY good thing that I was already high on the other medicine while they were inserting the epidural. Anyway, I had not problems with it but DID start to refuse the drugs in it by the second evening or so. The meds were so cold going into the line that it was creepy and I went without meds after that! Molly
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views