Crazy Question

Lorraine Wentz
on 5/16/05 8:30 am - St. Catharines, Canada
I may sound totally crazy asking this, but what are the operating tables like at Dr. Aguirre's hospital? Ok, I was thinking about all the little things pertaining to this surgery as usual, and I started thinking about the operating tables. Do they elevate your head at all? Has anyone woken up after surgery in more pain than just the actual surgery due to the operating table? I ask because when I lay on a hard floor, I'm sooooooo extremely uncomfortable due to my size. It's not until I bend my knees up and put a pillow or two under my head that I'm only a little more comfortable. I also have a harder time breathing when I'm on my back. So you can see why I ask about the table. I'm worried about my breathing while in surgery and if I'm going to wake up with muscle pain or spasms from lying on my back with no support for two hours. Help! Cheers, Lorraine
klnbaker
on 5/16/05 10:56 am - Gresham, OR
Hi Lorraine I don't know for sure what the operating tables were like.....I was asleep! I did wake up with a sore shoulder from the position I was in during surgery. It went away quickly though. I wouldn't think you would have muscle spasms from the "tequila" Dr. Gomez gives you and the epidural. You're in La-La Land, Baby! Kathleen
DW
on 5/16/05 11:16 am - Galveston, TX
My hubby was in the operating room with me and he said that I never moved at all..not once..he also said that the room was spotless and the entire surgical team was very professional and worked well as a team, he was very impressed. I remember seeing the lights above me in the operating room and the table is just like the ones here in the states. I had my gallbladder taken out years ago Lap and my WLS was done by Dr Aguirre open, the open scar from my WLS is pencil thin, just a fine thin white line and the Lap gallbladder surgery has two scars each that are the size of a quarter. My open scar is not as noticeable as the Lap. I am going to take a picture and post it when I get up the nerve. lol Dot
Lorraine Wentz
on 5/16/05 12:48 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
Oh please do post some photos of your scar! I don't think I've seen a picture of a healed open rny scar before. I've seen some scars from a tummy tuck, but that's about it! Please post some photos as I know it will be helpful not only to me. Cheers! Lorraine
Lorraine Wentz
on 5/16/05 12:43 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
Oh! I didn't realize there was an epidural as well. That's good then, because when I had my c-section I had a spinal tap and because of the numbness from the chest down, I didn't have any problems with pain due to the hard table. Yay! I feel so much better! Thank you so very much! Cheers! Lorraine
DONNA RELLA
on 5/16/05 3:07 pm - Uvalde, TX
about that epidural... i was always so proud to say that i delivered all 4 babies without the epidural. Of course, back then everyone said that it was bad for you and only the weak should get it... but now, everyone gets it or so it seems. I am still scared of that part of the surgery. i have had my gall bladder removed, and a hysterectomy and no epidural... so i am nervous about it.
Joanne V.
on 5/16/05 8:08 pm - Lexington, MS
After my WLS in Mexico (and I was flat on my back when I went out) I did not have a whole lot of pain, I don't really know what they had me on, I slept a lot for 36 hours, but was awake some too. After my gall bladder surgery in the US I had excruciating back pain as soon as I woke up in recovery and I believe it was from lying flat on my back. They gave me some skelaxin, which he said WLS patients can take, and that fixed me up. -- Jody
Dinka Doo
on 5/16/05 11:49 pm - Medford, OR
I threw my back/shoulder out just before I went down. I had a horrible back problem and was so certain I was going to be in agony after surgery from the pain of being on my back so long. Nope - not at all. I guess they kept me so well medicated my muscles and joints just got all loosened up and felt fine. That is, until the day I was to go home - I slept funny and ended up with my shoulder hurting again! LOL! Dina
Molly Mae
on 5/17/05 12:13 am - WA
Hi Lorraine! I know exactly what you mean and I will tell you my experience. I too, have had problems with my back. Mostly in pregnancy though. However, it seemed 250 was my magic number for a sciatic nerve attack! My weight soared to 252 right before surgery and I was so scared of being on my back like that! Anyway, I did not have a problem while there at all. I just felt a little stiff like I do when laying around the house with a flu or something for a few days. Here's also what I observed while there: A really neat guy, Brad. He was from South Carolina (I think) and traveled there with a couple of buddies by car. He had surgery the day after mine and had an absolutely horrid time with his back. My mom kept going over to his room to try and comfort him. It was really sad because he was just sweating up a storm and could not get any relief from the pain he was in. My mom kept hearing him make noises and she would go in and fan his covers while looking the other way. I was like "MOM!". Anyway, I have emailed with him and he did great with his recovery but did have a hard time in the hospital with his back. He said he has had a lot of troubles with it in the past, I think. Rest assured...I do not think you will have a hard time with back pain right when you wake up because of the epidural. You won't even feel anything at all. It was kinda wierd but comforting at the same time because I did not want pain! Molly
Lorraine Wentz
on 5/17/05 3:30 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Ok, let me get this all figured out please. When I had my son, I am almost certain they called what they were giving me, a spinal tap. Now, I know there are two kinds of epidurals. There's the one shot and that's it kind, and there's the continuous, tube inserted in your back kind. Maybe my "spinal tap" was an epidural and they just called it a spinal tap because they're similar. I have no idea. I don't even know if there's a difference between a spinal tap and a one shot epidural! Anyway, what kind of epidural does Aguirre give you for this surgery? Thank you so much to all of you, I'm a little less concerned, but I've had some problems with my back in the past, and am not looking forward to finding out if I'm going to have them again after two hours in surgery!! Nothing beats your own bed! Cheers! Lorraine
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views