Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico - Looking for past patient experiences

Carrie S.
on 5/9/05 11:16 pm - Glendale, AZ
I am considering having Dr. Rumbaut perform laparoscopic RNY surgery in June. I am hoping to get a few people's feedback on their experiences with staff and accomodations. Any replies would be greatly appreciate. Thanks
tfrodrig
on 5/10/05 5:53 am - Riverside, CA
Hi Carrie, I do not know anything about Dr. Rumbaut but please consider looking into Dr Aguiree in Ensenada, he has excellent reveiws and reasonable pricing. I am considering going to him...I have done extensive research and all is excellent (not one bad comment to my knowledge). Tina
B W.
on 5/10/05 7:57 am - Sulphur Springs, TX
In response to Tina's observation "not one bad comment" about Dr. Aguiree. I find it odd that there are no bad comments about ANY surgeons that I can find. With all the regrets and reversals that I read about surely there are a few people disgruntled with their doctors. Just wondering why there are no negative postings about doctors in general. Billy
tfrodrig
on 5/10/05 9:02 am - Riverside, CA
Hi Billy, You forgot to add "that I know of" because in my research I have not found anything negative about Dr.A (South of the Border friends please correct me if I am wrong). I have found bad comments about other surgeons (in some journey profiles also there is a surgeon comment section in the OH website that is very helpful and yes there are some negative comments as well as positive but people are very open and honest about their experiences and doctors. I have also seen a few comments where patients are very unhappy with their doctors after surgery. I have 2 questions for all of my South of the Border friends out there (Please be honest) ..... Question 1....Could it be by chance that Dr. A is just a VERY good surgeon or are the bad comments hiding? Question 2....Do you have any warnings or negative comments about any surgeon you have encountered??? Thank you for your honesty!!!! Tina
gogeko
on 5/10/05 9:37 am - Palmer, AK
HI CARRIE I AM GOING TO DR AGUIRRE IN ABOUT THREE WEEKS. I CHOSE HIM BECAUSE I FELT AFTER READING FEEDBACK ON MANY DIFERENT DRS. HE HAD THE BEST REVIEWS. NOT MANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS. THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS I REMEMBER READING MAINLY HAD TO DO WITH NOISE CAUSED DURING A REMODEL AT THE HOSPITOL. AND THAN SOME OF THE NURSES HAVE LIMITED ENGLISH. BUT THATS NOT NESSESARILY NEGATIVE. I PROBABLY HAVE READ NEARLY 500 OR SO PROFILES FROM SEVERAL DR. ACCROSS THE NATION AND IN OTHER COUNTRIES. THERE ARE ALOT OF GOOD DRS. TO BE FOUND. BUT I ALSO FOUND SOME DRS. WITH SOME POOR REVIEWS. REGARDING BEDSIDE MANNERS AND HANDLING OF THE PATIENTS. SOME BEING TO GRUFF OR IMPATIENT OR BEING TO HURRIED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS AND SO FORTH. BUT OF ALL THE PROFILES I HAVE READ DR. A HAS THE BEST REVIEWS. I WISH YOU THE BEST IN YOUR WLS JOURNEY. CINDY
Happy Me
on 5/10/05 11:43 am
This subject has caught my attention, so I will post my 2 cents worth. I think a realistic understanding of the "Ensenada Experience" is very important. Dr A is an EXCELLENT surgeon, there are very few complications with his patients. It is important to know the difference between the complications that are the fault of the surgeon and those that are a result of the patients poor health prior to surgery, or just plain bad luck. (example, I had kidney stones...not a complication that is Dr A's fault, just bad luck; or Cheri's bowel blockage, not Dr. A's fault, just REALLY bad luck!) Dr A. takes what he does to us VERY seriously, and deserves the reputation he has built for himself. I remember when CNN followed one of the patients through their journey to have surgery with him, we are not his only cheerleaders. The benefits of traveling out of the country for this surgery were, the cost, and I didn't have to jump through all the hoops that other patients do to get the insurance approval like psychologists, nutritionist, etc. BUT, the negatives are real. Primarily, when you are done with the surgery, you are on your own, there is no post-op support. This is not a small thing, and must be thought through completely. It is the trade off we make, and we make it willingly. Because of this, we must educate ourselves much more than the average insurance covered weight loss patient. There are a few patients that shared their negative feelings about the experience, I don't remember them by name, but I appreciated their honesty. If you start at the top of the member directory and read EACH and EVERY profile, you get a very thorough, balanced understanding of the experience. I wish you all the best of luck with your jouney's. I waited a long time for mine, and have no regrets at all, but I can say I had NO surprises on my trip, because I had READ every profile, and EVERY message on his OH message board back to early 2003. Educate yourselves, and you'll be fine. God bless you all. Susie in Idaho
bonnied
on 5/10/05 1:16 pm - St. Albans, VT
Hi Carrie! I, too, am considering Dr. Rumbaut. I considered Dr. Aguierre, but he only does open procedures and I want a lap. I am a nurse and took care of open bypass patients for 3 years...for me, lap is the only way to go! There are so many benefits to lap over open bypass. I am also choosing a RNY instead of a lap band because I live way up in Vermont and it will be near impossible for me to get fills for a lap band, and from what I'm reading, lap bands need "tune ups" fairly frequently. None of the obesity surgeons here in New England will touch another surgeons band. So I need to have a RNY and get it over with and get back to life. I will be reading these responses faithfully, because I'm interested too! Feel free to email me: [email protected] Best of luck to you Carrie Bonnie
Ellie H.
on 5/10/05 1:46 pm - Medford, OR
There ARE some negative responses to Dr. Aguirre but the REALLY negative profiles have been mostly deleted from the people after they caused a lot of negative controversy. That's why you don't hear too much of the bad. Even some of his patients that have had problems hasten to add that it wasn't his "fault" for fear of being flamed. It's not too bad right not but in the late 2003's and early 2004 it was unheard of to say anything negative! The good thing is "from what I know" there has only been one mortality in the past five years. He is skilled at what he does. Open RNY. The other thing to realize is that things do happen that is beyond the control of anybody. It is always wise to have insurance, even though it didn't cover the RNY, it will help to cover you if some type of complication arises. And remember that you are paying to have the procedure done. It does NOT include post-op care once you leave. It is critical that you have an understanding PCP or a local bariatric surgeon in your area that you can call. Also remember that some bariatric surgeons are, understandably, hesitant about accepting a bariatric patient from another surgeon. You must educate yourself and realize that it is an on-going learning experience. No one can know EXACTLY how their journey is going to be.
gogeko
on 5/11/05 3:53 am - Palmer, AK
WOW MIKE.... I DONT SEE HOW THE OTHER POST ARE ANYMORE PROPAGANDA LIKE THAN YOUR OWN. YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR DR. AND YOUR EXPIERENCE ARE JUST AS PURSUASIVE AS THE REST OF THE POST WEATHER YOU WANT TO BELIEVE IT OR NOT. AND MOST OF THE OTHER POST ENCOURAGED CARRIE TO DO HER HOME WORK. IT IS A PERSONAL DECISION IN THE END. AND ANYONE WANTING THIS SURGERY NEEDS TO BE 100% SURE THEY CHOSE THE THE RIGHT DR. FOR THEMSELVES AFTER THEY HAVE DONE THIER RESEARCH. JUST BECUASE DR. A IS MORE AFFORDABLE THAN SOME OTHER DRS. DOES NOT MEAN HIS WORK IS CHEAP. HE IS EVER BIT AS SKILLED AS MANY OTHER DRS, IF NOT MORE SO, WHO ARE CHARGING ANYWHERE FROM 20 TO 80 THOUSAND DALLORS. IN THE END THERE ARE PROS AND CONS TO ALL PROCEDURES AND ALL DRS. A PERSON NEEDS TO DECIDE AFTER ALL THE RESAERCH THEY HAVE DONE WHICH PROS AND CONS THEY WANT TO DEAL WITH. IT IS A PERSONAL DECISION. AND WHEN A PERSON IS RESEARCHING AND ASKING OTHERS FOR THIER EXPERIENCES IT IS ONLY POLITE THAT YOU RESPOND WITH YOUR STORY WITHOUT PUTTING THE OTHER POST DOWN FOR THIER RESPONSES AS WELL. CINDY
DW
on 5/11/05 9:46 am - Galveston, TX
Mike, Those of us who went to Dr Aguirre and had positive experiences are trying to help those who could not otherwise afford this life saving surgery. Dr Aguirre is an excellent surgeon with a experienced staff of doctors, nurses, and many others who assist in making our "Ensenada Experience" a safe and comfortable alternative. Many members have gone to great detail to provide information about going to Mexico to help ease the concerns of those who may be comtemplating surgery out of the country. Sorry some you feel that we are spreading PROPAGANDA but that is your opinion and you are intitled to it, But I will do my best the help those who ask for information because my experience was very positive and more that I could have asked for even if I had paid 30,000. Oh by the way, I have heard great things about Dr. Rambaut too but my experience was with Dr. Aguirre so I can only response to specific questions about him. I pray that all of us continue to spread the word.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1835 views