mexico alone

Ellie H.
on 5/9/05 1:53 pm - Medford, OR
Dozens of people have gone by themselves without any problem whatsoever but it depends on the person. I went alone. I had a few problems, people who have had problems tend not to discuss them at the risk of being flamed, but I still managed by myself quite nicely. The doctors spoke English, the desk staff at the hotel spoke English, most employees of the stores and restaurants spoke English. The nurses did have limited English but, for the most part, knew what they were supposed to do and just did it. There is phone service and internet service even in the cheaper hotels. Although Mexico is a depressed nation it is not a third world country. You know yourself better then anyone so you are the only one that can make the decision to go by yourself or not.
Lorraine Wentz
on 5/9/05 3:29 pm - St. Catharines, Canada
If I may mediate here? I read through this entire thread, every single post, and all I see is that there was a complete misunderstanding. Red Head, in my opinion, did not say anything to warrant a hostile rebuke. And Vicki, in my opinion, didn't mean to come off angry. It's amazing how a few words can spin emotions into a whirlwind of misunderstanding. It's extremely hard if not impossible to understand the entire meaning of someone's words when it's written and their face is not visible. And as great as these message boards and e-mail and computers in general are, once you hit send you can't go back. Words said in anger and haste can not be erased. So most of the time, we regret what we've done as soon as we've done it. I've been to many message boards on this site, and I am honestly amazed at how incredibly inviting and lovely the people of this particular one are. Read Head and Vicki please continue to post. We're all here for the same reason. We all want information and people's different aspects and opinions to help us through our journey. This is Vicki's decision to make and she just needs some friendly opinions to get her to the next stage of WLS. Cheers, Lorraine
bonnied
on 5/10/05 1:27 pm - St. Albans, VT
Hi Vicki! I am in the exact same boat as you, and what a tough decision it is! After I found out my insurance does not cover this, I, too, am turning to Mexico. I do not have a soul who can come with me. I am debating going alone as well. All I know is that I have been considering this surgery for over 7 years now and nothing is going to stop me this time! If I have to go alone, oh well, I'll figure out a way to handle it! It's time to take care of me for once! Best of luck to you Bonnie
Red H.
on 5/10/05 2:02 pm - Lebanon, OR
Vicki, YOU ARE FORGIVEN...I don't believe in holding grudges. After all, we are all here to help each other and believe me, a couple months ago I cried out to everyone for advise and wisdom because my daughter was so very ill after surgery and I figured no one knew better than the forum because they had been through this before. I had my surgery 14 months ago in California with Dr. Fobi. Ive had a very tough year, not because of anything the Dr. did wrong, I just have had a very tough time eating. My daughter wanted this dream so bad, like most who post here. With NO insurance for either of us, it was cash or nothing. We found out about Ensanada and the price of Dr. A and there was never a question of where we would go. Our US medical system, insurance, etc makes it almost impossible to raise that much money (that you don't need for something else). We read that Dr. A was a class A surgeon and his results were great. We got on this site and read all about his surgeries. Its really to bad that we are all forced to make the decisions we have to because of our medical system. This surgery is not elective. It is necessary. But, Thank God Dr. A is such a great surgeon. NOW, I will say that my experience in Ensanada was not the best. Everything was a total shock to me. The hospital, everything. There was one very dim lightbulb in Dr. A's office and we had an evening appt. Everything was 20 yrs behind our US system. When my daughter went in the Taxi by herself to the hospital the morning of surgery, it was 7am and a little dim outside. The Taxi driver looked a little scary, the taxi had black tape all over the dash board, and when he dropped her off at the hospital, the door was locked. No one anywhere in site. She walked to Dr. A's office next door. No one there. There were some men standing on the corner! Back to the hospital and she saw the small sign and a button to push to get inside. That was quite an experience for her. The upside is.........great, they lock the doors! Her room did not have any windows or light. Mine had a window. Anyway, I am posting this so you can see where my perspective comes from. I think Dr. A is a very qualified surgeon and he knows his stuff. His patients seem to do great. My daughter is doing great, but it took a full 2 months to see her begin to sparkle. Would we do it again............probably, because the cost here in the States is a lot and most could not raise that much and most insurance companies are denying payment for this surgery. I felt like it was worth every cent and didn't care what insurance said. I didn't ask them anyway. I think there is a happy medium somewhere. People have to get help. Im 14 months postop and I love my new size. I have more energy. I look better in my clothes etc etc. Lots of upside. By the way, someone said something about my not having my picture on the site. Ive tried several times, even emailed the photo to others to put up but it still has not happened. Im not hiding, just don't know how to get the picture up. I know this is long, sorry, but just wanted to share my experience with you. Red Head
EBruce
on 5/16/05 8:31 am - Vero Beach, FL
Hi Vicki, I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Aceves and went on my own. I had no problems and would do it again in a heartbeat. With that said I have traveled all over the world on my own so it did not seam in the least bit strange to do this without company. I do not even speak one word of spanish and still did not have any problems. I am not sure how your surgen is, but Dr Aceves has a coordinator that speaks fluent English and takes care of everything for you ...without her it would have been more of a challenge but nothing that would not be doable. I think it all depends on you as a person and how self reliant you are. Good luck. Elizabeth
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views