mexico alone

Red H.
on 5/9/05 1:50 am - Lebanon, OR
Well now I understand fully about being attacked on this board for posting what I thought was a helpful opinion. No I do not speak Spanish, wish I did. Yes I did have surgery in Ensanada. My nurses did not speak any english. And no one told me about what I was really going to find when I got there. Most of it was a total shock. We did stay at the Coral which was beautiful. There are a couple people on the board who have stated a little more of what the experience is but most say it was just wonderful. I don't think some really want to know anyones experience. So, it was just wonderful, sunny, friendly, fabulous, not much pain, lots of shopping, eating in fabulous places and I would do it again today. And most likely won't post again.
Molly Mae
on 5/9/05 4:26 am - WA
Red Head...don't go away! I have forced myself at times to "keep it real". After having to constantly defend my reasoning to go to MX for this surgery I have really developed a sensitivity to anything negative said. But, I have been hospitalized here in my hometown and had some major qualms with how the hospital was run and my experience. So, it could happen anywhere, that's for sure. Molly
Candice E.
on 5/9/05 3:04 am - Lebanon, OR
It is really sad to see the attacks going on , on this forum. Just because some one asked a question and someone else answered with your best interests in mind. I had surgery in ensenada and did not go alone and would never go alone. Anytime you go out of the country it is always safer to take someone along with you. The Attack on the Red head was really uncalled for...... She has been a great help to all of us on this forum . If your gonna post a question, than it seems to me you are asking for someone's opinion! My opinion: No I would not go to Mexico , or any other country by myself. Think Smart!!!!!!
tfrodrig
on 5/9/05 6:45 am - Riverside, CA
Hi Red Head, Please don't quit posting....your opinion is very valuable to us! I have not had the surgery yet but I am strongly considering going to Dr. A. I really do appreciate your comments and any info that you provide...
GerrAnn
on 5/9/05 6:33 am - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hi Vicki I have always been a firm beliver that you should try to take someone with you to Mexico for surgery or at least have a buddy that will be there at the same time.. This is a serious surgery, and many haven't just jumped right up and gone shopping.. Although I did.. I wouldn't want to be in ANY hospital anywhere without support of a friend or loved one.. I do understand that sometimes you just don't have any options and maybe that is when the buddy system comes into play.. I feel that this site is the place to ask important questions before you start your journey but remember that we all have different opinions, and should not be judged wrongly for our words of wisdom. Good luck with your journey and your wls friends will be watching over you. GerrAnn
Molly Mae
on 5/9/05 7:16 am - WA
Great points GerrAnn! I feel the same way BUT...If I had to go it alone and stay in a tent in the park I would. At the same time though, I encourage people to take a support person when at all possible. It helped me so much to have my mom there who kept me in stitches (pun intended). We had so much fun but we do that anywhere.
vickig
on 5/9/05 7:46 am - CRAWFORD, GA
i do appolagize to red head im so defensie about mexico. i read my post boy was i *****y. i was crying also at the time thie journy has been so tough i expected nothing but total support. thats just not what i wanted to hear, but it was the truth. im so sorry if you quite posting i will email you untill you forgive me or block me. i really hope you will accept my appolagy. this kind of thig is hard for all of us i neverrrrrr intended to stir up a hornets nest. pleasssssseeeeeee don't stop posting it's obvious we need your input and value it as well. sincearly vicki
deekidd
on 5/9/05 9:49 am - Naples, FL
I am going alone on May 23rd to Mexicali and Dr Aceves (fobi). I dont speak spanish but the doctor, the coordinator (Nina) and some of the nurses speak fluent English. My wife was begging me to take her along, she speaks fluent Spanish. But, ya know something, maybe it is my male hormones or something, but I feel that I put all this weight on myself, I want to do this myself. I have always been a "loner". I like to eat by myself, go to movies by myself, and I feel I need to do this by myself. She is upset about it but we have 2 small kids at home to think about and she needs to be with them I feel. I am packing an english to spanish dictionary just in case though.
Cheri Moran
on 5/9/05 12:50 pm - Big Spring, TX
Hi Vicki! I think most of us are defensive about going to Mexico for our surgery. We tend to do that when our intelligence is questioned for a decision we have made. I now love to watch the reaction when someone asks me where I had my surgery and I respond, "Ensenada, Mexico." I couldn't be more pleased with my surgery or my results! I'm not comfortable traveling alone, anywhere, so I don't know if I could have gone to Mexico alone. However, I do know that several others have and it worked out for them. Of course, I was so desperate to have WLS that if I'd been faced with going alone or not having it, I just might have been able to do it. I was one of the ones that had absolutely no problems whatsoever so I can't tell you what it would be like if you have problems. You can read about my experience on my website by clicking on the "www" tab at the bottom of my post. Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best. Please keep us posted, we really do care about you and your decision. Cheri
SandiBeach
on 5/9/05 1:17 pm - Northwest USA
Hello, I went alone to Mexico for surgery (open RNY) with Dr A. I would NEVER go alone to Mexico for surgery again, it was a huge mistake for ME. I know others that have done well with going alone... I was NOT one of them! I was very scard and cried most of the whole time. Everyone on Staff was very nice, it was just too much for me. I thought I was a very strong person before this experence. Just my thoughts...
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views