Ensenada Apartment Poll...

Molly Mae
on 5/5/05 1:18 pm - WA
Hey folks...I am curious about something. Please indulge me!!! If you stayed in the Dr.'s apartments would you do it again? Please for the sake of all the pre-ops still deciding be honest. And no flaming, lol! Also, wha apt were you in?#1 or #2? If you stayed elsewhere do you wish you would have been able to stay in the apartments or what did you think about the accomodations where you were (Hotel Coral, Posada el Rey, ect.) The apartments are a relatively new thing. They started it last year sometime and I just want some opinions. Lots and lots of folks used to stay at hotels and loved it usually according to their profiles. Thanks everyone! Molly
GerrAnn
on 5/5/05 2:21 pm - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hi Molly I stayed in apt #2 in Feb. and would do it again. I liked the ideal that It was close to town. We were able to walk to the stores, harbor, and the park. We also had a wonderful time while there. My husband and I happened to be there during "Marti Grasi". Have to admit that the noise of all the bands made sleeping hard while there, but that has nothing to do with the accomidations. I felt more comfortable with the home like feeling of the apts. and the kitchen/fridge/stove. Then I could go on and rave about are little sweetie Rosella.. She works her butt off trying to take care of you. Wasn't real pleased with the phone set up she had. Never was able to use it.. Maybe she has that all taken care of by now.. Also the computer was set up and I was able to get on and update all our family and WLS friends. I also stayed at the Posedia on my first night there and I was NOT impressed with it at all..The only thing I liked about it was the shopping was right there. Anyone who has the surgery would be smart NOT to stay there.. The flight of stairs alone will kill you! And after surgery...FORGET IT... I didn't use the nurse while at the apts.. My husband was my nurse.. That way I got to spend more money on souvioners. So I would tell anyone to stay at the apts.. Rosella came over at least 2 times a day to check on me, and see if I needed anything.. GerrAnn
Molly Mae
on 5/5/05 2:34 pm - WA
Hey GerrAnn!!! This is the exact input I wanted. I did not realize it was so close to shopping and such. That was so important to me too! I was so blessed to have my mom playing nurse for me! It was so nice to not need their nurse. Rosella is wonderful. She is just sweet as pie...mmmm...pie. Anyway, I agree it would have been nice to have her checking on me. Thanks for your perspective. Molly
Molly Mae
on 5/5/05 2:44 pm - WA
Also, a good point about the kitchen. It sucked making my firt long awaited meal of cream of wheat in the coffee pot at the hotel A good point for the apartments!
cathy.fowler
on 5/5/05 11:52 pm - Mesquite, TX
OK, MOLLY, YOU'RE ASKING FOR OPINIONS. I'LL GIVE MINE. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T GET MAD AT ME!!!!! At first I thought I was going by myself and I wanted the apartment, then I heard people taking about walking to a nearby park. I did NOT feel comfortable walking to a park in my delicate condition (after surgery). I decided to stay at the Hotel Coral at $90.00 a night for the night before surgery and after I was released from the hospital. The night before surgery, I went to check on Marty P. at the apartments. I did not relalize the apt complex was so small and I wandered upon a group of men sitting by the corner bldg. I DEFINATELY would not have felt safe there!!! The Hotel Coral was great for my needs. I used the refrigerator for water and jello. For everything else I went to the restaurant or ordered room service....(I'm a go out to eat person!!!!!!) I walked the hotel, I walked to the internet cafe at least twice a day (it was down at the bottom of the hill by the marina). This was my exercise,,after I used the internet, I had to walk UPHILL with all the beautiful scenery. I decided to give up my nursing service to cover the extra expense of the hotel. I figured it there were any complications, I could still get a nurse--luckily I didn't need one and took care of drains and bandages myself. The spa was small but I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure. I read my love stories and walked (alot). A couple of days I took the taxi into Ensenada to shop. After a couple of shop, they all looked alike! No matter where anyone stays, we all agree ----GOING BACK HOME IS BEST!!!! These are just my opinions, please NO flaming!!! Thanks, Cathy
Molly Mae
on 5/6/05 1:04 am - WA
Cathy, This is great information for Alana, Lorriane, and others who will be going there soon. They have big decisions to make and that is one of the reasons for this post. I KNOW the Hotel Coral and Marina is the very, very best hotel in the area hands down. Before the apartments came along tons of people used to stay there and always gave rave reviews of the service, views, conveniences, ect. Oh yes, the internet cafe' my mom and I went to a few times was perfect for my needs. It was dirt cheap to get on the internet for an hour and the computers were as nice as mine at home. I could also use the printer to to print a picture of my kids hubby emailed to me...sniff, sniff! Knowing what you know now, would you have stayed there if you had to have gone there by yourself? I know Dr. A will make "housecalls" anywhere you are if you call him and are in bad shape. Others have posted about it in their profiles. Thanks so much for your response! I am just glad you had a good experience there! Molly
cathy.fowler
on 5/6/05 1:38 am - Mesquite, TX
Hil Molly, I was scared to come back to the board and look at responses after my previous post! If I had to go back to Ensenada again, the Hotel Coral is the ONLY place I would stay. I felt very safe there. All the suites overlook the ocean and you can see the cruise ships passing from your balcony. The ONLY thing I regret about my stay was the weather! It was cool and damp the end of February. Not conducive to walking near the water! My friend came home a couple of days before me but I stayed longer to ensure the staples and drain were removed before I went home----and, to make sure if I had trouble, I would be close to Dr A.! I loved being at the hotel. When I got stir crazy in the room, I would take my book down stairs and read in the lobby or the sitting areas, or just brouse the gift shops in the hotel. Thanks, Cathy
GerrAnn
on 5/6/05 2:26 am - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hi Everyone The one great thing about the south of the border forum is the fact that you don't get your head bitten off if you have a different opinion about something!!! I agree with Molly about staying at the apts If you go by yourself. Mainly because they tend to forget about you if your at the Hotel Coral. Rosella took me over to the Hotel Coral to visit with Tami when she had her surgery and I was impressed with the hotel.. It was NICE.. If I went back to visit, that would be the place to stay.But I like to be close to the action.. I enjoy sightseeing and visiting new places.. I could have shopped until I dropped like Molly! I hope to do the same thing when I get to San Antonio in Sept. Hey Molly are you going to the Reunion??? GerrAnn
Molly Mae
on 5/6/05 4:09 am - WA
Hi again Sunshine girl! I bet the weather is to die for there in your neck of the...woods or dessert or whatever, LOL! Anyway, there was a time that Dr. A's patients were so under attack from the rest of the Obesity Help main MB that they had to be vehemetly opposed to ANY form of attack regarding ANYTHING about Ensenada or surgery South of The Border. It is a lot more relaxed now. I just do not want to come across as bashing anyone or anything at all. My only intent is to get some opinions and help the preops decide. I really adore and respect Dr. A and his whole team but my loyalties lie with my wls friends who are still on this journey. You have to be an informed consumer. I had a couple of instances while in Ensenada where I kinda scratched my head and thought...hmmm....everyone made this place sound like a bed of roses. Duh! Oh course it is not. Just like anywhere people live Molly We are in the process of becoming self-employed in Real Estate and moving in 2 weeks. It is the BIGGEST risk of our marriage and we will not be in attendance at the reunion. I soooo wish we were. I am a Texas native and even have family there but it just is an impossiblity at this time. I want pictures though. Ya'll will have so much fun! SA is just a wonderful place. The people there are so friendly and I am so envious!
lakerskobeb
on 5/6/05 3:28 am - Canton, OH
I really appreciate everyone's honest oppinion. For me, I was going to stay in the apartments but after trying to secure all my finances, I don't have the money. I felt so bad that I couldn't stay in the apartments. Because of price I am staying in Best Western El Cid. If I had the money I would stay at the Coral but that is still a little too expensive. But I am a young city girl and I love music and action of down town. I am from a pretty bad neighborhood at home so I am not easily scared by strange looking characters that often surround tourist sites. But everyone's honesty made me feel comfortable about not staying in the apartments. I really appreciate it you guys! And thanks Molly for even posting the issue! I love this board, you all are the greatest. Ronda
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1835 views