Drinking with Meal

TracyW
on 4/25/05 5:38 am - Spring, TX
OK I wanted to post this question, do you drink anything when you are eating a meal? I know Dr A tells us not to drink anything before our meal and nothing after but I just can not seem to do that and thought maybe hearing what others are doing will help me. I tend to have to take very small sips, I have been thinking about this the last couple of days and I believe hearing what others are doing might help. Thanks Tracy 375/284/200
klnbaker
on 4/25/05 5:52 am - Gresham, OR
Hi Tracy! Wow! Look at your numbers! If I drink with my meal it's little sips. I find if I get too wild and actually DRINK that I get that "stuck" feeling (maybe that's my version of dumping). Dr. A did say it was OK to sip a beverage during meals. Congratulations on your success, Tracy! Kathleen
GW
on 4/25/05 6:15 am - Weatherford, TX
Hey Tracy! I have not been drinking with my meals unless I get something that is a llittle to spicey. I don't want to wash anything out of my pouch to fast as I am a slow loser. But that said, looking at your numbers, I think what you are doing has gotta be okay. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Just kidding. Obviously you are taking very small sips and it is not hurting your progress at all! Congratulations and keep it up! Genie
Candice E.
on 4/25/05 7:52 am - Lebanon, OR
Hi Tracy, I drink through every meal and it hasn't hurt me. I am doing much better than I was and haven't found anything that makes me sick yet, except for Milk and Water. All foods seem to work for me. I feel like one of the lucky ones, nothing gets stuck, but I am a big time chewer. Hope this helps. Candice
Dinka Doo
on 4/25/05 8:22 am - Medford, OR
It's a hard VERY HARD habit to get out of. But the thing is, it really does help keep you from washing your food out of your pouch too soon, thus making you hungry earlier. Water loading was never my strong point. I have found a couple things have helped me a little though. When I'm *thinking* straight, I will get myself the low-carb Dannon smoothies (60 calories) and drink one of those a very short while before I eat. This works similar to water loading but better for me because it's so heavy and it doesn't require me drinking a tall glass of water which makes me choke to try and get it down. Then during the meal if something is dry and/or spicey, I will sip a little tiny bit, but not outright drink. At least this is what I aim for. I am not perfect. I figure if I don'****er it down too much it won't be any worse than a paste. Just don't want a slurry going on in there! Dina
Amanda
on 4/25/05 11:26 pm - Kearney, NE
I was getting hungry right after meals and I realized that I was drinking during and too soon after and it was washing the food out of my pouch. I stopped doing that and now I am able to wait much longer between meals. If you read "Pouch rules for Dummies" it has a lot of good information about when to drink and why and what for!!!! You are doing great!! Keep up the good work!!!!
tamara_b73
on 4/25/05 11:57 pm - wisconsin dells, wi
I was having a hard time with not drinking with and after my meals too. But on the main board someone asked for ideas to help with this and someone suggested having a sugar free hard candy in your mouth after a meal to moisten the mouth. So I tried it and it really does help a LOT. I use the sugar free life savers and just pop one in my mouth after meals and I am fine. I also make a point NOT to put a glass on the table near me while I am eating or habit will make me reach for it. I leave my glass in another room. If I really need something liquid I will have a sf popsicle, but not often cause that melts down and works like a drink I'm sure. Just a little slower than taking a drink. I also set a timer as soon as I am done eating for 20 minutes so that I know when I can drink again. I still struggle with this issue, but I know that I want this to be a habit by the time I really need it to be....like 6 months or a year out. You know? Good luck, Tamara 321/269
Red H.
on 4/26/05 1:37 pm - Lebanon, OR
After throwing up for 13 months, I have learned that for me, I must drink hot "mint" or "green tea" just before I eat. That way it releases the tension and stress and my pouch softens and relaxes. For the past 2 weeks I feel like I have graduated. YEY! This is finally fun. I sip through my meals. Kay
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views