update and ?

DONNA RELLA
on 4/10/05 4:22 pm - Uvalde, TX
I finally received the paperwork to finalize putting my "other" house in my name. I am so glad because now maybe i can borrow against it to pay for the surgery... Now for the ?... I do NOT understand why people are so against the OPEN surgery that i want to get. THe lady who signed the papers on the house added a note and said that HER Dr. did not advise this type of surgery and really recommended the lap band. I just want to know if yall have heard the same thing and i am curious to know how you feel about it. Thank you all for your prayers. I really appreciate them. Hugs to all... goodnite.
Shartee
on 4/10/05 10:28 pm - Kissimmee, FL
Hi Donna; First congratulations on getting your paperwork all in order. I'm really happy for you! In reference to your question; I a firm believer that YOU must be comfortable with the type of surgery you have chosen. I believe the open RNY, allows the Dr. greater freedom to move about and see what he is doing. There is no doubt that Lap RNY and Lap Bands are far less intrusive, however (personally) I don't want the Dr. looking through a set of magnifying glasses/microscope when he makes my new pouch!! I want him to have both hands on my stomach and actually be able to see everything without any trouble at all! I know the recovery time is supposed to be shorter with Lap, but it is more expensive. My thought, I suffered through the birth of twins, an open RNY won't be that bad. I also think that the majority of people have such a positive mind set after the surgery that the pain is dulled by the long term goals they see in their minds once awake. All I can say is research, check the statistics, get in-depth information on all types of surgery available and talk to people. Also, when researching the Lap Band, make sure you check on fills; I have heard that there are people having a difficult time getting a fill in the US if they have had their surgery in Mexico; I cannot say this is 100% accurate but I believe there are posts regarding this issue. Whatever you decide, we will be here behind you 100%!! Sending lots of prayers and hugs your way. ~Sharon~
GW
on 4/11/05 1:33 am - Weatherford, TX
Okay, well you asked for opinions, so here is mine for what it is worth. (Probably about 2 cents on the open market! First, I cannot stress enough that this has to be YOUR decision. You have to be comfortable with it. This is just what worked for me! I too wanted the Dr. to have complete access to EVERYTHING. I wanted to know if something was hiding in their behind all my other stuff! I had just been through testing for possible liver problems, even cancer. The cancer had come back negative, but what if it was small or went undected? Also do you remember Richard Spiegelburg (?) that had his surgery on March 11? He had his surgery the day before I left. Anyway, when Dr. A got in there his gallbladder was bad so he took it out! No extra, just went out and asked his wifes permission and did it. I had my gallbladder out 15 years ago and it was over 15K then! I also had a lot of adhesions from my previous abdominal surgeries, (gallbladder, hysterectomy and bladder suspension) that I wanted to know that he could see everything. Also, some things don't show up. The only way to detect them is feeling them. I knew I didn't want a band because I knew I wanted it done and over with. I have a friend who has the band. She is constantly having to get it tightened and then she is sick for days afterward. If it doesn't work out and you go for a revision later, the success rates drop dramatically. The open RNY, although it has more pain and a longer recovery rate, is called the gold standard of weight loss surgery. That was enough for me! Good luck in making an informed decision that is right for you! Genie
DONNA RELLA
on 4/11/05 2:16 am - Uvalde, TX
Thank you all for the input. I knew that i didn't like the band thing because of the fills and stuff. I just kinda needed reassurance. All signs point to open r-n-y for me...i want the "gold" standard...
gogeko
on 4/12/05 7:09 am - Palmer, AK
HI DONNA I PERSONALY CHOICE RNY. I WAS NOT FOND OF THE IDEAS THAT WITH THE GASTRIC BAND A PERSON CAN EAT ANYTHING THEY WANT INCLUDING SUGARY SWEET THINGS. I HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH SWEETS. AND I HOPE THAT IF I EVER CHEAT THAT I WILL HAVE A HORIFIC DUMPING SYNDROME. MAYBE THAT WILL CURE ME. ALSO IF I AM GOING TO GO THRU WITH WLS AND HAVE TO SELF PAY I REALLY WANT IT TO BE SUCCESS FULL THE FIRST TIME AROUND. I BELEIVE A PERSON CAN HAVE A 90 PERCENT SUCCESS RATE WITH RNY AS LONG AS THEY ARE STICKING WITH A SENSILBLE PLAN ONCE GOAL WIEGHT HAS BEEN ACHIEVED. AND THIS IS MY GOAL. AND THIS IS THE CHOICE I HAVE MADE. AND IM HAPPY WITH IT. CINDY, WASILLA ALASKA
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views