Weight Loss - the fight is forever!!

tipper77
on 4/9/05 10:54 pm - Frisco, TX
Hey everyone, I just thought I would share the results of my math for those of you who are newly post op and seem a little frustrated with your progress. My starting weight was 334, I weighed in this morning at 185. That's a loss of 149lbs. My personal goal is 160. Doing the math, that means I have lost 86% of the weight I wanted to lose. Don't be discouraged, you guys are all doing great!! Just stick to the program (low carb/high protein) and you will see the results. Water, water, water!! One thing I can tell you for sure, at 16 months out, everyday of my life I have to fight the fight where my weight is concerned. You have to be dedicated to the lifestyle - surgery doesn't fix anything. It's a tool. I know you have all heard this a billion times - I just want to reemphasize it. My weight loss has stalled for months now. My lowest weight has been 184, but I keep gaining and losing the same 3-4 pounds. Recently I decided to join weigh****chers. I know this may upset some people who think that having this surgery means you don't ever have to do weigh****chers or a similar program ever again. I joined because I know that for the rest of my life I am going to have to be on some program to keep my weight in check (whether it's me following a self disciplined healthy choice lifestyle or some other program). The way I look at it is that it doesn't matter to me what I am doing as long as I stay on a program and don't lose sight of the fact that I have to constantly stay in tune with my struggle with weight. I can honestly tell you that if I didn't lose another pound, I am still so happy with my results. But that doesn't stop me from wanting more - and striving for it. Best of luck to you all - just keep on keeping on - it's something you will have to do for the rest of your life!! Love to all, Kat
Molly Mae
on 4/9/05 11:47 pm - WA
Good Morning Kat! Thanks for posting this reality check for me today. How true it is - even after only four months I can tell it will always be a battle for me, although I am not suprised. Without thinking, I popped a fully leaded chocolate truffle into my mouth early on and discovered there is no dumping with me and so I consider myself like and alcoholic. I just have to stay away from the stuff and document everything going into my mouth. It is so easy to let bad habits sneak up on me. Kudos on the Weigh****chers membership. I totally understand. It is indeed a great support system and that is what it is all about - support. There is a lot of research indicating the proven success of weight loss with a support group like that. Coupling the support and accountability (this is a biggie for me) of your WW meetings your tool ought to be a great combo. Pretty soon you will have your lifetime membership and go for free, LOL! Thanks for your continued inspiration and thanks for posting to us all!!! Molly 252/197/135
GW
on 4/10/05 3:29 am - Weatherford, TX
Hey Kat! Thanks for that post! We new post ops really need advice and reminders from you older post ops. Working together, we will make it! I have joined a gym, sorta. The reason I say sorta is that it is in the building stage. It will open in June. So for the next 2 months, I am on my own, but I am really looking forward to its opening. Maybe it will help speed up my slow losing streak, and help tone me up! Thanks for all your encouragement and support! Genie
gogeko
on 4/10/05 11:38 am - Palmer, AK
THANKS KAT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MY UNCLE WAS TELLING ME ABOUT. HE HAD WLS IN OCTOBER LAST YEAR AND HAS LOST 135 POUNDS SO FAR. HE WANTS TO LOSE ANOTHER 30 POUNDS TO GOAL. HE SAID THE SURGERY WILL ONLY GET YOU SO FAR. AND THEN YOU WILL NEED TO DIET OR FOLLOW A SENSABLE PLAN TO LOSE THE REST. SURGERY IS THE TOOL TO GET US HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION BUT WE NEED DISIPLINE TO MAINTAIN THE COURSE. THANK YOU FOR REMINDING US OF THIS IMPORTANT FACT. I WILL BE HAVING SURGERY IN 7 WEEKS. CINDY, WASILLA ALASKA
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views