G Tube??

bettyann29
on 4/9/05 11:15 am - bedford, TX
Just trying to find out more about the g tube that I keep hearing about.. What is it? What does it do?? I plan on staying long enough to get my stitches and g tube out before I head home and just wondered what to expect.. How large is it? Is it sticking out of your stomach? I noticed some people will go out and walk around about day 4 or so, but wondered if this tube hinders walking.. Anything you can answer will be greatly appreciated... Betty b
GW
on 4/10/05 3:35 am - Weatherford, TX
Betty, The g-tube is a very disgusting thing! But it is a necessary evil! Since they reroute your intestines the g-tube is in inserted into your stomach and drains into this bag. It is about the size of a cathetar bag. You can kinda hide it under your clothes, it will just depend on how much extra room is in your clothes and how self consciense you are. You will have 2 bags actually. One is removed before you leave the hospital though. The other is removed the 6th day after surgery along with half of your staples. That day you will feel so good! It is so good to lose that thing. After you leave the hospital, you will wear it some, and take if off some for longer periods at a time. Maybe you could go walking during one of the off times. It really isn't THAT big a deal, but it is gross looking. Or is was to me! I also waited until everything was out and I am so glad I did! My surgery was March 4, and I left March 12 after having the last staples removed. Genie
klnbaker
on 4/10/05 3:37 am - Gresham, OR
Hi Betty The G-tube is located just left of your incision. It collects the nastiest stuff I have ever seen! LOL While I was "attached" to my G-tube, I still was able to walk around and just carried the bag like a purse. Of course, I didn't go out in PUBLIC like this! After you are released from the hospital you will start blocking off the G-tube for periods of time. That was usually when I would take advantage of the freeedom and walk around warm and sunny Ensenada! You will have to empty the bag attached to your G-tube. My husband helped me with that task, as nasty as it was! But, the good part is you only have to do that for a few days ****il your first set of staples are removed). Hope this helps. Kathleen
rhionan
on 4/10/05 7:36 am - Lincoln, NE
Hi Betty! Can you believe some of the icky stuff we have to look forward to?? Oh well! It's only for a couple of days! Love and hope to you! Tera
bettyann29
on 4/10/05 8:12 am - bedford, TX
Thanks guys.. I have been reading about it for some time but just didnt know what it was.. now that makes sense.. I would hate having to do it, but I guess only for a few days isnt that bad.. it just helps me to know what I need to look forward to..
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views