SPANISH WORDS TOO KNOW ?

gogeko
on 4/7/05 4:43 pm - Palmer, AK
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HAD SURGERY IN MEXICO WHAT ARE SOME KEY SPANISH WORDS OR PHRASES YOU WISH YOU HAD KNOWN. OR THAT YOU FOUND WERE VERY HELPFUL TO YOU? I DONT KNOW SPANISH. I HAVE 7.5 WEEKS TILL MY SURGERY. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU FOUND HELPFUL TO KNOW. THANK YOU CINDY
lakerskobeb
on 4/7/05 10:32 pm - Canton, OH
Hi Cindy, There is a website called (www)cherimoran.com on the left side there is a link entitled: translations I printed out this page and I also bought a spanish/english dictionary translation. Hopefully this helps out Cindy. Let me know if you need anything else. I have a 200 page journal full of stuff that is informative, so let me know! Ronda
TTCromar
on 4/8/05 12:22 am - UT
Hey ya'll... I found the word "Dolar" (Doe lar) very helpfull. It is pronounced like our word Dollar, but the O has the long sound. It mean PAIN. lol.... Good luck! t~
Molly Mae
on 4/8/05 1:02 am - WA
Hey Cindy, You can buy a small Spanish phrase book from Barns and Noble. Mine was really helpful...well, until I forgot it! It was fun to look at while still at home though. I really kicked myself for forgetting it. Molly 252/197/135
DONNA RELLA
on 4/8/05 3:04 am - Uvalde, TX
I am fluent in spanish... so feel free to ask me any questions or words you wanna know...
pinkpetunias
on 4/9/05 3:58 am - Duvall, WA
Hello, Just a reminder that we speak Mexican Spanish which is very different from the more formal Castillian Spanish they speak in Spain. Some of the translations you find are not correct. The word for pain is "dolor" pronounced doe lor. I saw it earlier and it just need a little change from doe lar to doe lor. Don't worry most in Ensenada speak English. The whole experience is just so wonderful you cannot imagine!!!!
y0maria
on 4/11/05 10:27 am - CA
Canela beat me to the correct pronunciation of pain so that's good. I'm bi-lingual, also; but really didn't see a need for knowing Spanish. The nurses were impressed if you spoke to them in Spanish but my sister who was with me and didn't know Spanish had no problem being understood. The doctors, of course, are bilingual and the nurses, for the most part, know what they are doing, so the language barrier really wasn't an issue. When I was there the taxi drivers, restaurant employees, pharmacy employees and hotel employees also spoke English, and I'm sure that hasn't changed. You can pick up a dictionary or go to the library and check out the learn Spanish cassettes to help you know some basics if it would help you feel more confident. Good luck and congratulations!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views