I hope I am doing the right thing

richardwidman
on 4/6/05 8:52 am - Las Vegas, NV
I am completly convinced that the surgery is my only option left for a normal and healthy life. I have put my trust in a Dr. Aguirre in Ensenada Mexico. They all seem very caring and knowlegable. I have a surgery date on April 28th. My family thinks I am crazy for going to Mexico for this, but I am going anyways. Can't afford to self pay in the states, and can't afford to be this unhealty any longer. Any comments?
Molly Mae
on 4/6/05 9:09 am - WA
Big Hugs Richard! I know it is hard to go against the grain witht the family and all but...you will not be sorry. I do not know anyone who has gone to Dr. Aguirre regret it later. Dr. A's team is all very caring and knowlegable. You will really enjoy meeting them. Where are you staying? Who is going with you? Tell us!! We are a nosey bunch! Molly
Joan R.
on 4/6/05 9:27 am - Millington, TN
I know how you feel. I am waithing for my sister to be able to get somre pt time work then I'm going for a lap band. when ever I tell anyone they think I'm crazy. Sometimes I doubt my own choice. Good luck. Joan
pattycake
on 4/6/05 10:02 am - macon, GA
we are behind you 110%. you have to do what you think will save your life. your family is only concerned about you because they are uninformed about dr a. they will feel better when it is all over and they will be supportive. be patient with them. when you start losng and your health starts improving they will realize that you did the right thing. please know that we all support you here. this surgeon is the best. i suggest you talk to genie and tami and some of these other ladies who have gone to mexico. GOD bless.
lakerskobeb
on 4/6/05 10:56 am - Canton, OH
Hi Richard, All I can suggest is to convience yourself and talk with God and that is all the approval you will need. I was very upset about the initial response from my family but they know me and they know that I am intelligent enough to do some research and look at the pro's and con's of this surgery. Have a talk with God, you will both come to the decision that is best for you! April 28th is actually my birthday, so I will be keeping you in my prayers the entire time! Ronda
bettyann29
on 4/6/05 11:00 am - bedford, TX
Richard.. I second what everyone has said.. I havent had wls yet but am starting to save up so I can get it done the first of next year.. My boyfriend thinks Im crazy for wanting to go to Mexico to have this done.. I have done so much research and I really believe that Dr A is a great choice.. Out of every review I dont believe there is one person who has said anything bad to say about Dr A or Ensenada. He sounds like the kind of doctor everyone wishes they could have.. He almost sounds too good to be true.. I think we all have a stereotype for Mexico and as soon as its mentioned about going to Mexico to have surgery everyones minds run wild.. My parents freaked out when I just mentioned having wls.. I have already decided that I will not tell them until probably the day before I go.. Only because I dont want them to worry.. I still havent decided how I will tell them, but I believe that for myself this is what I need to do in order to have a productive fuller life.. I hate the fact that I can hardly do anything with my kids.. They are young and just dont understand.. I dont want my kids to be embarrassed of me.. You have nothing but support here..
Amanda
on 4/6/05 12:44 pm - Kearney, NE
I understand your family situation. My brother pretty much told me that I was an idiot to go and if I did he would never see me again. If I would have listened, I would still be 275, not able to walk due to hip pain, having heart problems, and just not a very happy person!! Instead, I listened to my instincts and am now much happier and healthier!! Dr. A is absolutely the best and I owe him everything!!!!! Good luck on the 28th! I will be praying for you!!!!
Shartee
on 4/6/05 12:59 pm - Kissimmee, FL
Hi Richard, I've been researching WLS for two years now! I am also a self-pay. I must admit I think I've looked everywhere and turned over every stone!! In the end, I've come back to Dr. A. The testimonials from all of his patients speak for themselves; they are outstanding. Everyone I've spoken to would not hesitate to have any surgery done by Dr. A. I had initially planned on having my WLS last Nov. however personal problems prevented me from having it done. I am now looking at a date for May 2005!! I cannot wait!! I have no fears, whatsoever, about going to Mexico; but to be honest, I have not shared this with all family members. My husband, son & daughter are the only ones who know what I'm going to do. I'm not telling my mother, sister, brother or other son at this time. I know they will not be supportive and although I love them all dearly, I have to put myself first, and do what's right for me. So, if you know in your heart that you are comfortable with what you are doing then you should go forth with the surgery. Always know there is a phenomenol support group, right here, any time you need anything at all. This place is full of angels!! Best of luck to you Richard. Make sure you keep us posted on your progress; we'll be waiting to hear!!
GW
on 4/6/05 1:59 pm - Weatherford, TX
Hey Richard! I am one month out from surgery in Mexico with Dr. A. I went this route because I had no choice. I chose Dr. A because of all of the wonderful testimonies. Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it again, and had insurance coverage this time, I would probably STILL go with Dr. A! I just loved him and felt so peaceful about everything! I was on 12 medicines before my surgery and am off all 12 now! I can walk further and am beginning to get excited about what the future holds for me now! He is very skilled, knowledgeable and competant! I had no concerns or worries. It is ridiculous to think that if he traveled just a few miles north, then no one would question his ability. It is only because he is south of the border that people worry so much. Yes, I believe we live in the greatest country on earth. But, also one of the greediest at times. More surgeons here could take a lesson from Dr. A. Good luck to you and you will be in my prayers! Genie
TTCromar
on 4/6/05 2:00 pm - UT
Hello Richard and welcome to the South of the Boarder gang!!!! You know what Richard.....I finally gave up talking to people about the surgery cause I got so sick of all the comments. But, on Feb. 2nd of this year I had my surgery after 5 years of waiting and researching. Today, I'm off all my meds for high blood pressure & Diabeties. I feel so good and I know it's only going to get better. I think at some point we get to the point that we say to ourselfs...."I'm going to die if I keep going the way I am." that's where I got and I know there are so many people on these boards that got to that point. Just know we are behind you 100%!!!!! You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.....and like Molly said...give us some info.....we are a nosey bunch!!! t~ 268/232/120
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views